+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

NPreti8195

Star Member
Oct 8, 2020
greetings everyone !!!

I have a couple of questions, all advice is appreciated

I have completed my masters in December 2019 and stopped working my part-time job in December 2019 and went to India in January for vacation. due to covid and shut down of universities my unofficial transcripts came on march 15 2020 and course completion letter came on 18 April 2020 in my email.

1: my 90 days of applying post-graduate work permit start from April 18, 2020? or march 15 2020, or my last day of the university which is December 31, 2019?

I applied for my work permit on June 18 2020 from India, inside Canada application and came to Canada on 21 June 2020

2: can I work full time while I am in applied status for my pgwp?

3: do I have to apply for a status restoration application?

4: is there any chance my PGWP will get rejected?

all advice will be appreciated, thank you evveryone
I believe it would've been your last day of university but I'm not sure about how they count that. Though I think you might have to apply for restoration

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
greetings everyone !!!

I have a couple of questions, all advice is appreciated

I have completed my masters in December 2019 and stopped working my part-time job in December 2019 and went to India in January for vacation. due to covid and shut down of universities my unofficial transcripts came on march 15 2020 and course completion letter came on 18 April 2020 in my email.

1: my 90 days of applying post-graduate work permit start from April 18, 2020? or march 15 2020, or my last day of the university which is December 31, 2019?

I applied for my work permit on June 18 2020 from India, inside Canada application and came to Canada on 21 June 2020

2: can I work full time while I am in applied status for my pgwp?

3: do I have to apply for a status restoration application?

4: is there any chance my PGWP will get rejected?

all advice will be appreciated, thank you evveryone
You have 180 days to apply for PGWP from the day you are notified that you have graduated, you should be able to work if you applied within Canada with a valid study permit.

Study permit does technicaly "expire" 90 days after completing studies but it seems this rule gets ignored most of the time and they just go with the date printed on the study permit, what status did they let you back into the country on?
So you will probably get it, you could also have applied from abroad which means no study permit is required but then you wouldn't have been able to work.

Its too late to restore anything at this point, so bet to just wait for the outcome.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I was having the question so I called few days ago to ask If there’s an exemption or change. The person said no change and 180 days is the rule. According to what he replied me, we will not able to reapply it if we passed 180days timeline even though it is not our fault. I told him the processing time is almost same even longer than 180days, so basically everyone will have only one chance to apply. He just said nothing is changed and that is the rule...
This was the same even before covid, many peoples PGWP processing would extend past the 90 days (rule was 90 days until recently) and past the 180 days after they extended the time, you cant reapply if its past that.

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
You have 180 days to apply for PGWP from the day you are notified that you have graduated, you should be able to work if you applied within Canada with a valid study permit.

Study permit does technicaly "expire" 90 days after completing studies but it seems this rule gets ignored most of the time and they just go with the date printed on the study permit, what status did they let you back into the country on?
So you will probably get it, you could also have applied from abroad which means no study permit is required but then you wouldn't have been able to work.

Its too late to restore anything at this point, so bet to just wait for the outcome.
It looks like you´re freely advising everyone to just ignore and break the rules from IRCC.

Study permits are always issued with 90 days after the expected graduation date based on the program the applicant presents. Who says IRCC is ignoring the 90 days rule?

Where does it say that you don't need a valid study permit when you're applying from outside Canada?

Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria:
  • They hold a valid study permit.
  • They held a study permit.
  • They were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/eligibility.html

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
It looks like you´re freely advising everyone to just ignore and break the rules from IRCC.

Study permits are always issued with 90 days after the expected graduation date based on the program the applicant presents. Who says IRCC is ignoring the 90 days rule?

Where does it say that you don't need a valid study permit when you're applying from outside Canada?

Within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit, applicants must also meet one of the following criteria:
  • They hold a valid study permit.
  • They held a study permit.
  • They were authorized to study in Canada without the requirement to obtain a study permit under paragraphs 188(1)(a) and (b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/eligibility.html
Calm down bro, I'm not advising anyone to do anything he has already done it and is asking what the probable results will be.
Study permits are not always issued to expire 90 days after completion, and due to various circumstances you can graduate with study permit still valid for years, e.g you switch from university program to college.

You don't need a valid study permit to apply for PGWP from overseas.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Applicants may apply for a PGWP from within Canada if
  • their study permit is still valid

Applicants whose study permit becomes invalid or expires must either

• leave Canada and apply for a post-graduation work permit from overseas, or.....
He was also let back into the country, which tells me they don't consider his study permit expired.
The point is there is nothing to do at this point except wait for his decision.

DRS1234

Jun 22, 2015
hey guys, my question is not fully related to this form, however, i will appreciate any responses:
My friend is on PGWP but he has no TRV. He realizes this after booking a ticket to India next week. Now, what is his best option:
Apply for TRV when he is in India (processing time 247 days)
Apply in Canada and then leave and ask for file transfer (not sure how it works if it works)
Or is it better to cancel the ticket and book new one when he receives a TRV in Canada)?

Neerja.k

Star Member
Sep 1, 2020
hey guys, my question is not fully related to this form, however, i will appreciate any responses:
My friend is on PGWP but he has no TRV. He realizes this after booking a ticket to India next week. Now, what is his best option:
Apply for TRV when he is in India (processing time 247 days)
Apply in Canada and then leave and ask for file transfer (not sure how it works if it works)
Or is it better to cancel the ticket and book new one when he receives a TRV in Canada)?
Well, your friend can travel to india but wont be able to enter Canada without trv
At this point of time he cant rely on applying for trv in India as VFS are closed (you never know when its gonna open)
Plus trv from Canada takes a few weeks atleast
So if he is on leaves from work then he wont be unable to come back on time
But i have no idea regarding file transfer. Even if the file is transferred, dont know when vsf will reopen