+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

ramdil

Jun 4, 2018
I will give you my 2 cents about your situations because I was anticipating such thing may happen to myself so I did not submit any job applications since I graduated in May: I would say it is difficult to talk down the HR to hold on to your offer because most companies would not be able to keep a hold on an offer for very long and not to mention that they may have other candidates("second choice" so to speak) that can fit in the position. Besides, no one can tell what the exact date their PGWP gets approved.

If I were you, I would honestly tell the HR about the fact that you do not have the date of when will the work permit gets approved(because I would still want to have a good image in the HR's head), and ask if the HR can pull my name off the list of "applied candidate" so that I can submit my resume to this company after I got my work permit instead of being blocked by their HR system for several months(big companies tend to do this to prevent people frequently applying).
Thank you for your response. I have already tried my best to convince the HR of my implied status but she didn't accept. So atleast I will try to talk to her and get my name off the list of applied candidates, thanks you for your feedback.

I have a follow up question if you don't mind, I am eligible to get my PGWP for 1 year, so if IRCC is taking 6 months to approve my case, will I then have only 6 months validity when I receive my approval? Will the validity be 1 year from the time I get approved or from the time I applied. Please let me know

ramdil

Jun 4, 2018
They should agree if you send them the letter issued by IRCC when you submitted your form. Many organization are chill with implied status and they do not wait for you to show them the approved work permit letter. Again, depends on company to company.
Thank you for your response, yes I guess it depends on company to company. For now I may have to keep applying for other companies and hopefully they accept my implied status.

fakelucio

Star Member
Jun 13, 2020
Thank you for your response, yes I guess it depends on company to company. For now I may have to keep applying for other companies and hopefully they accept my implied status.
It’s probably the best to apply for big companies that regularly hire temporary residents and deal with immigrant candidates. They know all about this implied status stuff so you don’t need to spend any time convincing them. Also is your social insurance number still valid? I saw some people on this thread mentioning that they can’t start working after their sin expired even though they are on implied status. The company can’t enter their sin in the payroll system since CRA doesn’t allow entering expired sin.

pj20000001

Jul 23, 2020
Thank you for your response. I have already tried my best to convince the HR of my implied status but she didn't accept. So atleast I will try to talk to her and get my name off the list of applied candidates, thanks you for your feedback.

I have a follow up question if you don't mind, I am eligible to get my PGWP for 1 year, so if IRCC is taking 6 months to approve my case, will I then have only 6 months validity when I receive my approval? Will the validity be 1 year from the time I get approved or from the time I applied. Please let me know
Unfortunately I am not knowledgeable to answer that. I would guess the start date of your permit is the date that IRCC issues your permit but not the date you applied. Wish you all the best by the way, things are tough now.

Thalyssa

Jun 27, 2019
Friends,

I recently graduated and I have applied for my PGWP. I have a full time offer from a company and they require me to provide my hard copy of the work permit. I explained to HR that I am eligible to work while I am waiting for approval of my WP. But HR said unless I provide them the hard copy I won't be able to join. How can I explain this to HR? Has anyone faced a similar issue? Any suggestions please, I do not want to loose this job
I also received a job offer and haven't received my PGWP yet. I gave the hiring manager (digital) copies of my student permit, my PGWP application receipts and a stamped letter from my university that confirms my degree.

Basically, I followed these recommendations straight from the CIC.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1507&top=15

I'm scheduled to start working on August 24 and so far they haven't asked for additional documents.

ramdil

Jun 4, 2018
I also received a job offer and haven't received my PGWP yet. I gave the hiring manager (digital) copies of my student permit, my PGWP application receipts and a stamped letter from my university that confirms my degree.

Basically, I followed these recommendations straight from the CIC.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1507&top=15

I'm scheduled to start working on August 24 and so far they haven't asked for additional documents.
Congratulations! I will try to reach out to HR again ans try convincing her, I really want to start working ASAP

softmcl

May 22, 2020
Hey guys!
I applied my pgwp May 22th and got biometric letter May 23th. On the letter it asked me to provide the biometric before August 23th. However, all the appointments are canceled and we are no longer need to provide biometric due to this pandemic situation.
So do I just ignore the letter and keep waiting? Or do I need to write a letter ( webform) to let them know that I can’t provide it before due date? ( in system, it said still waiting for my biometric).

it’s kind of annoying waiting under this situation. Hope everyone can get Approval ASAP!

Longhair

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hey guys!
I applied my pgwp May 22th and got biometric letter May 23th. On the letter it asked me to provide the biometric before August 23th. However, all the appointments are canceled and we are no longer need to provide biometric due to this pandemic situation.
So do I just ignore the letter and keep waiting? Or do I need to write a letter ( webform) to let them know that I can’t provide it before due date? ( in system, it said still waiting for my biometric).

it’s kind of annoying waiting under this situation. Hope everyone can get Approval ASAP!
All biometrics are exempted for now if you are in canada. Your application will be processed without biometrics due to covid. We are all in the same boat. No need to send webform. Just wait. Hope this helped!

Ishan5557

Star Member
Apr 7, 2020
Unfortunately, you will have to deal with them.
In my friend case, because she couldnt renew her sin number while waiting the pgwp paper, they cancelled her job offer.
(Because in their payroll system, it does not accept her expired sin number)
She contacted CRA and IRCC, but none of them took care her situation.
That's why there is a huge paradox what IRCC says that you can work while waiting for the decision,
but once their sin number expires, there is no way you can do it.

Human resources and small companies do not want to wait and they want solid evidence, which will highly cancel the offer.
That's exactly happened with me two weeks ago. My Employer cancelled my job offer without giving me few weeks time. I guess we all have to wait until the decision is made on our applications.

danaaa

Star Member
May 25, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
STUDY
That's exactly happened with me two weeks ago. My Employer cancelled my job offer without giving me few weeks time. I guess we all have to wait until the decision is made on our applications.
My employer was also concerned, but I explained everything, provided links to the IRCC saying I’m allowed to worked and everything was fine. But I was working for this employer since January and still keep working. If you’re already employed talk to your HR and probably do a letter of explanation quoting IRCC.

Ishan5557

Star Member
Apr 7, 2020
My employer was also concerned, but I explained everything, provided links to the IRCC saying I’m allowed to worked and everything was fine. But I was working for this employer since January and still keep working. If you’re already employed talk to your HR and probably do a letter of explanation quoting IRCC.
I did everything, provided all necessary documents and links but they didn't care. All they wanted was valid SIN number.

callmekiis

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
23-01-2021
AOR Received.
21-08-2020
Med's Done....
16-10-2020
i donot think it makes any sense for your company. Implied status is a legal status caused by IRCC's service standard and you should not be blamed. My company has no comment at all and just asks me to tell them once the result becomes available.