+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
What I don’t get is Why would one apply for study permit when trying to restore and get a pgwp? I have been looking at the previous responses and it just doesn’t make sense.
To apply for a study permit as well, you need a valid Letter of Acceptance from a DLI.
Personally, I didn’t apply for study permit when restoring cause i no longer was a student. And I believe it’s the same case for you as well.
Restoration is a really tricky thing, do your research well before making a decision.
You dont need an acceptance letter in this case, they understand that the sp is only to be granted pgwp and give you one for a minimum time.
Its the same if your sp is about to expire right after you graduate you can apply for a bridging study permit just to allow you to apply for pgwp without an acceptance letter, the advantage of applying with a sp is that you can work as soon as you apply.

muzi98

Sep 7, 2019
You dont need an acceptance letter in this case, they understand that the sp is only to be granted pgwp and give you one for a minimum time.
Its the same if your sp is about to expire right after you graduate you can apply for a bridging study permit just to allow you to apply for pgwp without an acceptance letter, the advantage of applying with a sp is that you can work as soon as you apply.
So for what estimated length will they offer the sp for? Because when your sp is expiring just after you graduate and you apply to extend it, ircc mostly only extends for 3 months after your done with your program. Thanks

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
So for what estimated length will they offer the sp for? Because when your sp is expiring just after you graduate and you apply to extend it, ircc mostly only extends for 3 months after your done with your program. Thanks
No idea, should be 3 months but doesn't really matter its a formality because if you do restore, study permit & pgwp they just wanted the sp so pgwp can be processed immediately.

Now obviously the rules have changed sp is not needed to apply for PGWP so it might be possible to restore to worker and skip the sp costs but not sure if/how this works.

muzi98

Sep 7, 2019
@bongoman Do you know something about this? Thanks

REPOST! Looking for feedback, I’m pretty sure someone in the forum might have some clue about this. Thanks!!

Anyone experienced a refused pgwp case reopened?
I recently got a message in my account that my case has been reopened and to pay the 100$ open work permit holder fee that was basically refunded to me when my application was refused.
I got refused almost 3 months back as the officer said that I wasn’t eligible.
Under what circumstances does ircc reopen cases? i mean does this mean that I’m now eligible for pgwp and ircc probably made an error on their end? What do you think of this?

Navneet90

Star Member
May 25, 2018
My PGWP got refused with the specific reason
"Foreign students in Canada are eligible for a work permit for post-graduation employment only if they have continuously studied full time in Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in duration at a:  University, community college, CEGEP,  publicly funded trade/technical school or  private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees"
I have done Full time 30 credit PDD program from Public School and have applied pgwp 5 days later after getting my graduation letter.
any suggestions what should i do next now.
Douglas College.
PDD- Financial Analysis
Graduated- Fall 2019
Work permit applied- Sep 15 2019
Refusal received- Dec 12 2019
Any suggestions what should i do next.

Gagandeep4410

Nov 18, 2019
Restoration to what status? If it was study permit you should have paid for study permit fee, restoration fee & pgwp fee. So check exactly what your consultant applied for. If you are past the 90 day deadline there is no way to regain status as far as I know, also if you are past the 180 days there is no way to apply for pgwp.

The other guy is talking about restoration to worker Im not sure how that works.
After finishing my degree of 2 year in 2019 april i applied for my pgwp within 90 days of my study prmit expire date... ie study prmit expired on 31 july 2019 and i applied my pgwp after 10 days of my completion of study ie on 29 agust 2019...

after 95 i got refusal stating that i have not uploaded my official transcrpits nor i got any email about additional document from them ...all of my frnds they got that email of additional dox.. but not me it was straight refusal. But tht was fine i admit my mistake.

In refusal letter it was metioned to apply again in restoration within 90 days of your study permit expire ....so i was afraid to apply myself i hired a immigration consultant for that
I applied again on agust 12 2019 and paid all the restoration fees and the pgwp fee under rules of 90 days after study prmit expire

now they have rejected and m shocked to see they said i didnt paid the 150$ study prmit restore fee

I had a talk to my agent he said we have done evrything under rules and terms and before deadlines

but i am afraid why this happens ??
I have done so hardwork to reach and stand
This is really unfair with me ???
I want the answer am i not eligible for work permit
This is the end ????
My future is Deemed

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
After finishing my degree of 2 year in 2019 april i applied for my pgwp within 90 days of my study prmit expire date... ie study prmit expired on 31 july 2019 and i applied my pgwp after 10 days of my completion of study ie on 29 agust 2019...

after 95 i got refusal stating that i have not uploaded my official transcrpits nor i got any email about additional document from them ...all of my frnds they got that email of additional dox.. but not me it was straight refusal. But tht was fine i admit my mistake.

In refusal letter it was metioned to apply again in restoration within 90 days of your study permit expire ....so i was afraid to apply myself i hired a immigration consultant for that
I applied again on agust 12 2019 and paid all the restoration fees and the pgwp fee under rules of 90 days after study prmit expire

now they have rejected and m shocked to see they said i didnt paid the 150$ study prmit restore fee

I had a talk to my agent he said we have done evrything under rules and terms and before deadlines

but i am afraid why this happens ??
I have done so hardwork to reach and stand
This is really unfair with me ???
I want the answer am i not eligible for work permit
This is the end ????
My future is Deemed
What restoration did your agent apply for? Student or worker? How much did you pay? I'm confused about your dates, you said you completed school in April but applied 10 days after completing studies on 29 August? When did you know that you had graduated? This has nothing to do with convocation or getting paper diploma only with when the status of graduation was out & available at your school.

Gagandeep4410

Nov 18, 2019
What restoration did your agent apply for? Student or worker? How much did you pay? I'm confused about your dates, you said you completed school in April but applied 10 days after completing studies on 29 August? When did you know that you had graduated? This has nothing to do with convocation or getting paper diploma only with when the status of graduation was out & available at your school.
I applied frst time on 28 april and later after refusal on 12 agust under restoration i dont know what restoration it is

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I applied frst time on 28 april and later after refusal on 12 agust under restoration i dont know what restoration it is
Try and get the forms your consultant submitted, but I am not sure there are any good options at this point going forward it is 180 days past study completion so PGWP is out, I think restoration is also out but I am not sure when that starts counting.
If you cant restore there is no option but to leave, maybe apply for a new study permit and study for at least 8 months then apply again.

Doomski

Nov 9, 2017
Flagpoling at Niagra Falls Rainbow Bridge

Hi everyone. Firstly let me thank all the contributors to this forum. You all have been of great help.

I have applied for PGWP on 25th Sep.
However I have a job offer that is asking me to join on 6th Jan.
I have a Masters of 2 years.
I am not confident that I will get my PGWP by that time so have decided to go for flagpoling next week .

My questions are as following :

1) Does flagpoling guarantees PGWP ? I applied for PGWP next day after graduation with my official Transcripts and Graduation letter. My ETA is valid till 30th March 2020.

2) If rejected at Flagpoling, does this affect my current online application for PGWP ?

3) After rejection of entry in USA for flagpoling , does this affect my future US visa chances ?

4) Any tips from someone who has flagpoled at Niagra Falls Rainbow Bridge ?

Last edited:

Amit4545

Sep 6, 2019

Hi everyone. Firstly let me thank all the contributors to this forum. You all have been of great help.

I am not confident that I will get my PGWP by that time so have decided to go for flagpoling next week .

1) Does flagpoling guarantees PGWP ? I applied for PGWP next day after graduation with my official Transcripts and Graduation letter. My ETA is valid till 30th March 2020.

2) If rejected at Flagpoling, does this affect my current online application for PGWP ?

3) After rejection of entry in USA for flagpoling , does this affect my future US visa chances ?

I would suggest you avoid flagpoling.

Answer to your questions

There is no guaranty of PGWP at flagpoling & its risky. For sure they will put a note on your account if something goes wrong. it doesn't make any difference to your US visa

if you want to take a chance fort Erie peace bridge would be a better option.

Big NOOOOO to Flagpoing.

Reactions: Daria13

Amit4545

Sep 6, 2019

I have a Masters of 2 years.

After 15th November, Some borders are permanently closed for Flagpoling. Check before you go there.

Reactions: Doomski

Nic-1994

Aug 10, 2018
You applied on Sep 25th. Just wait. Your PGWP will most likely come out before Jan 6th. People who applied middle of September are currently getting approved. Besides, your employer can allow you to resume on implied status

Reactions: Daria13

Doomski

Nov 9, 2017
I would suggest you avoid flagpoling.

Answer to your questions

There is no guaranty of PGWP at flagpoling & its risky. For sure they will put a note on your account if something goes wrong. it doesn't make any difference to your US visa

if you want to take a chance fort Erie peace bridge would be a better option.

Big NOOOOO to Flagpoing.
I am also not a fan of Flagpoling, but I am running out of options here. My joining date can be pushed by maybe a week more. But thats it.