+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Oma8899

Jan 30, 2023
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently facing a situation that's causing me a bit of concern, and I thought this forum might be a great place to seek advice and hear from others who might be in a similar boat.

A little background: I recently applied for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) just a week after my study permit had expired. I understand that there might be certain challenges associated with this situation, and I'm looking for any guidance or insights from those who have experienced something similar.

I have a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate any input on:

• Has anyone here applied for a PGWP after their study permit had already expired?
  • What were your experiences with the processing times and overall application process in this scenario?
  • Were you able to continue staying in the country while waiting for the PGWP decision?
I've been checking my application status regularly, but I haven't received any updates yet. I'm also a bit worried about my status during this waiting period.

If anyone could share their experiences, advice, or resources that might be helpful in my situation, I would be incredibly grateful. I understand that each case might be unique, but hearing from others who have gone through something similar would give me a better understanding of what to expect.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Any insights you can provide would mean a lot to me. Let's support each other through these challenging times.
Hi this might help: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#:~:text=If your study permit expires before you apply

You are fine but you do need to restore your status as a student as mentioned in the link above.

Reactions: oladele493

oladele493

Apr 18, 2022
I NEED HELP!!!!
I applied formy Study Permit Extension in May, 3rd 2023 before my study permit expired in June, 18th 2023. The only message I received from IRCC was submission confirmation. I have completed my program on the 20th of August, 2023 . I received program completion mail from my school and I stopped working immediately. I applied for my PGWP o August 31st, and paid for Restoration of Status, since my study Permit had expired, even though I had applied on May 3rd before it got expired on June 18.
I only received submission confirmation and nothing more! I can't work, please help!!!

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
hey guys! i was wondering if anyone could shed light on my situation, i applied on June 11th with status restoration as my study permit expired 10 days before i applied for PGWP. however the main concern is that my passport that i applied with expires in november, and i just got a new one today that expires in 2028. could they reject me for the expiration of passport so soon? or would they give me a small time window to apply for an extension? really worried about this. thank you

DevSB

Mar 27, 2021
hey guys! i was wondering if anyone could shed light on my situation, i applied on June 11th with status restoration as my study permit expired 10 days before i applied for PGWP. however the main concern is that my passport that i applied with expires in november, and i just got a new one today that expires in 2028. could they reject me for the expiration of passport so soon? or would they give me a small time window to apply for an extension? really worried about this. thank you
Send them a webform with details of your new passport.

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
Send them a webform with details of your new passport.
thanks a lot, have not thought to do that before. i just raised a webform including a scan of my new passport and the details. although it is within regular processing times, and i have a student restoration receipt attached with the pgwp application as my study permit expired before i could apply by 10 days. have been without work for so long. hopefully this webform will come to their attention and they will issue me a full 3 year pgwp... i just wanna work again its been months without!

brouhaha123

Jun 29, 2022
Hi all,

I applied for an extension to my PGWP as I was only given 1 year work permit (cause of passport expiring, I'm eligible for 3 years). After renewing my passport, I applied through the paper application on June 21st, they received my package on the 23rd of June and it's been silence ever since. The expected processing time when I applied was 16 days but its been over 2 months now and I still haven't received anything in the mail or email. I raised a webform 3 weeks ago and didn't get any reply. Would anyone have any advice for me on what to do next? Really stressing out here.

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
Any updates for pgwp applications that took more that 3 months ?
my application hit the 3 month mark on sept 11th.. still nothing. i applied for PGWP + status restoration fee (my study permit expired 11 days before my letter of completion of my studies came out)

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
seeing you guys get accepted within 70 80 90 days is really great. my application its been 95 days now.
hit the 3 month mark on sept 11th.. still nothing. i applied for PGWP + status restoration fee (my study permit expired 11 days before my letter of completion of my studies came out)

really want this work permit to come out, i cannot work so i am having a really hard time renting a place, i am getting kicked out of my only home here now because my roommate is moving in his brother instead of me and he was the one that brought me here, i have no idea how i will find a new place without an occupation/stable income listed, and i cant work until i get my work permit approved... this rule really sucks, i was supposed to be working this whole past 3 months but my girlfriend has been helping me out with finances, i just feel so defeated right now. its a good thing forums like this exist to give me hope because otherwise i would have been really hopeless. no friends or family, stuck at home for 3 months then getting kicked out... broke my new pixel 7 pro within 3 months of getting it and then i was using my iphone 6 and i broke that too. not even a smartphone to help me get by. a bit of a massive rant but it just sucks life is a bit tough right now and i literally have nowhere else to vent but here. hopefully by leaving this here i can post in the future about getting approved and whoever was (Hopefully no one ever) in my situation will have some hope

sorry for the drama

IAreSean

Sep 16, 2023
timeline:

Applied: August 11th,
WP-EXT Letter: August 12th,
Correspondence Letter for biometric: September 13th,
Approval: September 14th. (Total 34 days)

Last edited:
Reactions: justaguy12