+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

Shaikha3

Jun 15, 2021
Got 2nd Correspondence letter Yesterday
Finally approved

Applied 15th May 2023
WP-Ext 25th May 2023
1st Correspondence letter 27th July 2023
2nd Correspondence letter 21st August 2023
Decision 22nd August
Which office responded you this , also when did you receive this message and final descison date?

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
I currently work on campus part-time on a valid study permit. I was offered to continue full-time work upon completion of my studies. I know that on the day you receive a written confirmation from the university indicating program completion one shall cease working immediately.

Does that mean I have to resign from my current job, or I can take paid vacation (and technically not work) as soon as I received program completion letter and only work once I have applied for PGWP? Or do I have to take unpaid leaves upon receiving program completion until I applied for PGWP?

Sorry if this question is a little off topic, I'd really appreciate some guidance.

sttyd

May 30, 2023
DO

does it say final descision on july 20 th for you ? did you try reaching out to ircc through call?
Yes, it says "final decision", exactly as in your post.
I called them, and they just said I'm still in the processing time (145 days) so I have to wait.

Reactions: Shaikha3

patricklmm7

Jul 27, 2023
Updated,
My PGWP has been approved
Timeline:
Application submitted: 11 May 2023
Submission Confirmation: 11 May 2023
WP-EXT For PWGP: 12 May 2023
1st Correspondence letter: 17 July 2023
2nd Correspondence letter: 21 Aug 2023
Approved: 23 Aug 2023.
Thank you for everyone, I wish your application will be approved very soon!! Good luck guys!!

Shaikha3

Jun 15, 2021
my application was approved, But I need to ask if there is a problem, my program was 4 years and they only gave me a work permit for one year, probably it could be because my biometrics are getting expired next year, how can i render this. Need Advice

justaguy12

Jul 8, 2023
my application was approved, But I need to ask if there is a problem, my program was 4 years and they only gave me a work permit for one year, probably it could be because my biometrics are getting expired next year, how can i render this. Need Advice
When does your passport expire? Make sure it doesn't expire soon either. If it doesn't, I believe you can appeal it for a 3-year one.

Shaikha3

Jun 15, 2021
When does your passport expire? Make sure it doesn't expire soon either. If it doesn't, I believe you can appeal it for a 3-year one.
my passport is valid until 2028, but my biometrics are expiring next year which could be the reason, that they gave me 1 year.
How should i reach out for appeal ?

paralyyzed

Mar 9, 2022
Application submitted: 11 July 2023
Submission Confirmation: 11 July 2023
WP-EXT For PWGP: 12 July 2023
Correspondence letter: 23 August 2023

Waiting for the final stage now.

amine.elk

Aug 28, 2023
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently facing a situation that's causing me a bit of concern, and I thought this forum might be a great place to seek advice and hear from others who might be in a similar boat.

A little background: I recently applied for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) just a week after my study permit had expired. I understand that there might be certain challenges associated with this situation, and I'm looking for any guidance or insights from those who have experienced something similar.

I have a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate any input on:

• Has anyone here applied for a PGWP after their study permit had already expired?
  • What were your experiences with the processing times and overall application process in this scenario?
  • Were you able to continue staying in the country while waiting for the PGWP decision?
I've been checking my application status regularly, but I haven't received any updates yet. I'm also a bit worried about my status during this waiting period.

If anyone could share their experiences, advice, or resources that might be helpful in my situation, I would be incredibly grateful. I understand that each case might be unique, but hearing from others who have gone through something similar would give me a better understanding of what to expect.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Any insights you can provide would mean a lot to me. Let's support each other through these challenging times.

sttyd

May 30, 2023
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently facing a situation that's causing me a bit of concern, and I thought this forum might be a great place to seek advice and hear from others who might be in a similar boat.

A little background: I recently applied for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) just a week after my study permit had expired. I understand that there might be certain challenges associated with this situation, and I'm looking for any guidance or insights from those who have experienced something similar.

I have a few questions that I'd greatly appreciate any input on:

• Has anyone here applied for a PGWP after their study permit had already expired?
  • What were your experiences with the processing times and overall application process in this scenario?
  • Were you able to continue staying in the country while waiting for the PGWP decision?
I've been checking my application status regularly, but I haven't received any updates yet. I'm also a bit worried about my status during this waiting period.

If anyone could share their experiences, advice, or resources that might be helpful in my situation, I would be incredibly grateful. I understand that each case might be unique, but hearing from others who have gone through something similar would give me a better understanding of what to expect.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Any insights you can provide would mean a lot to me. Let's support each other through these challenging times.
Hi!
I applied for my PGWP after my Study Permit expired, but before it expired, I applied for a visitor record, so when I applied for the PGWP I had a visitor status.

Applied on May 11
Received Correspondence Letter on July 20
Still waiting for the approval.

I have called IRCC, and they say my application hasn't exceeded the limited processing time so I have to wait.

However, every case is different. I know people in the same situation as me, and they got the approval faster.

Good luck!

prashar.chhavi

Star Member
Oct 23, 2019
Dear users,

Did anyone got their PGWP application approved (applied within Canada) in August 2023.
My timeline is follows-

Application applied date- 29 August
Application transferred- 22 June

no updates after this.
Any replies would be appreciated.

thanks.

Bluebox31

May 18, 2023
I currently work on campus part-time on a valid study permit. I was offered to continue full-time work upon completion of my studies. I know that on the day you receive a written confirmation from the university indicating program completion one shall cease working immediately.

Does that mean I have to resign from my current job, or I can take paid vacation (and technically not work) as soon as I received program completion letter and only work once I have applied for PGWP? Or do I have to take unpaid leaves upon receiving program completion until I applied for PGWP?

Sorry if this question is a little off topic, I'd really appreciate some guidance.
Hey, you need to talk to your school regarding this. Either you take a short term leave, don’t have to resign. Technically you’re not allowed to work when you receive confirmation of graduation letter. And can continue working if you applied for PGWP. For eg: if you get graduation letter on Aug 20th, and you applied for PGWP on Aug 27th, then you cannot work in the gap until applying.

lighthouse007

Apr 22, 2023
Applied May 9th
Confirmation May 10th
WP Ext May 11
and no update so far.
Correspondence Letter - August 31st.
Application approved - Sept 1st. ( I didn't get an email, I casually login and saw approved lol )

Question: After the correspondence Letter is there a confirmation letter or I just have to wait for the work permit mailed to me?

Last edited:
Reactions: sttyd