+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

raymundo1

Jan 18, 2023
I could try that yes.
The thing is for pgwp extensions they require paper applications that's why I did that. I know some persons have done theirs online but I opted for paper according to the website instructions.
Do you plan to apply new Interim Work Authorization while waiting for the pgwp extension since this authorization will due on this month?

ArbazSalim

Apr 19, 2021
Hello guys. I have submitted my passport renewal application on 28 April. I am on Study Permit and have completed 2 semesters of Project Management course. The 3rd semester has an optional coop so I haven't applied to graduate yet. I may or may not take it.

I have recently found out that if I get the graduation letter and dont apply for PGWP, then I cannot work anywhere on SIN. So what can I do in my situation (waiting until my passport comes back) in order to work without any legal issues?

Your help and assistance regarding this matter will be appreciated. Thank You.

- Arbaz Salim

Danila_Ar

May 2, 2023
Hello guys. I have submitted my passport renewal application on 28 April. I am on Study Permit and have completed 2 semesters of Project Management course. The 3rd semester has an optional coop so I haven't applied to graduate yet. I may or may not take it.

I have recently found out that if I get the graduation letter and dont apply for PGWP, then I cannot work anywhere on SIN. So what can I do in my situation (waiting until my passport comes back) in order to work without any legal issues?

- Arbaz Salim
Hi. If you graduate, then you have 180 days to apply for PGWP. But, as you said, you can't work during this time. So if you really need to work, I would suggest you to stay as a student until you get your new passport, and then apply for graduation and apply for PGWP.

Oma8899

Jan 30, 2023

- Arbaz Salim
You should stay a student and renew you study permit first. If you graduate like you mentioned you will not be able to work until you get your PGWP which can take upwards of 5 months.

Also, if your study permit expires before you renew i believe you will have to pay to restore your status as a student first which can be pretty pricy. So your best bet is to remain a student.

'
If you don’t change your status to visitor and your study permit expires, you have up to 90 days after your study permit expires to apply for a PGWP and restore your status as a student.

To restore your status as a student, you must

• apply online for your PGWP and pay the correct fee ($255) and
  • pay the fee to restore your status as a student ($350)
You can’t work until your study permit and work permit have been approved.

If you don’t apply within the 90 days, or if the 90 days have already passed, you must leave Canada.
'
Took this from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html

ArbazSalim

Apr 19, 2021
Hi. If you graduate, then you have 180 days to apply for PGWP. But, as you said, you can't work during this time. So if you really need to work, I would suggest you to stay as a student until you get your new passport, and then apply for graduation and apply for PGWP.
So if I dont opt for my coop, and Im done with my studies, do you know long i can stay on as a student? My study permit is expiring November so thats not an issue. The issue is how long i can delay my graduation with my college.

ArbazSalim

Apr 19, 2021
You should stay a student and renew you study permit first. If you graduate like you mentioned you will not be able to work until you get your PGWP which can take upwards of 5 months.

Also, if your study permit expires before you renew i believe you will have to pay to restore your status as a student first which can be pretty pricy. So your best bet is to remain a student.

'
If you don’t change your status to visitor and your study permit expires, you have up to 90 days after your study permit expires to apply for a PGWP and restore your status as a student.

To restore your status as a student, you must

• apply online for your PGWP and pay the correct fee ($255) and
  • pay the fee to restore your status as a student ($350)
You can’t work until your study permit and work permit have been approved.

If you don’t apply within the 90 days, or if the 90 days have already passed, you must leave Canada.
'
Took this from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html
Thanks for your reply. Do you know how long i can stay as a student? My study permit is not an issue. Its how much i can delay before telling my college.

Danila_Ar

May 2, 2023
So if I dont opt for my coop, and Im done with my studies, do you know long i can stay on as a student? My study permit is expiring November so thats not an issue. The issue is how long i can delay my graduation with my college.
I guess it depends on your university. Technically, if you finished everything, you apply for graduation and the moment university accepts it, it means that you are officially graduated. You need to check with your university in this case. But it might be possible, that you have to apply for graduation right now, if you don't take anything next term. In this case, you will be officially graduated soon

Last edited:

nancyarora

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022
Hi, I'm in the same boat. I'm wondering if we can opt in the application while waiting for extension. What if I get my extension approved, which one will be valid since I will get two work permits?
In the same situation. So, I called IRCC today. The agent advised to opt-in and withdraw the extension application. She said with the opt-in we will only get 18 months extension from the date when you opt-in