+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

SKant

Star Member
Apr 16, 2022
Took me 30 days to get the approval and then 10 days to send my passport to Ottawa for stamping and getting it back. Since it's the holidays now, it could take a week longer. Approx 45 days in total.
wait, i am confused. what stamping? for pgwp? isnt pgwp a permit document like a document that is mailed??

av_ganesh

Star Member
Sep 23, 2022
i guess we have to wait , seems there are no issues . what i see from this forum is they are giving prioirty to people stranded outside canada. SOWP , BOWP etc.

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
wait, i am confused. what stamping? for pgwp? isnt pgwp a permit document like a document that is mailed??
The question was how long it took to get the TRV after PGWP. Please read the posts on the previous page.

Reactions: SKant

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
@andrews17 @RamSatt thank you for your response. Could you also tell me if it’s adequate to apply before receiving the hard copy of pgwp and how long it takes to recieve the said copy on average?

@Mandalorian initial for me
I didn't apply for the TRV without the scanned copy of the PGWP document, as that's the main proof. I wasn't in a hurry to get my TRV, so I did not try applying for it with the approval letter (without the hard copy). So, I cannot comment on that. My PGWP showed up in an envelope, in my mailbox, 8 days after it got approved/updated in the GCKey account.

I would suggest starting the application process, filling out the forms, and uploading the other documents necessary. When you get the hard copy of the PGWP, scan and upload it, pay the fee and submit the application. Will save you some time.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
@andrews17 @RamSatt thank you for your response. Could you also tell me if it’s adequate to apply before receiving the hard copy of pgwp and how long it takes to recieve the said copy on average?

@Mandalorian initial for me
I applied with the approval letter before getting the hard copy. It's even stated by canada.ca that you can do it that way:
After we approve your application to extend your permit:

As soon as we approve your application to extend your work or study permit, you can apply for your visitor visa (even before you get your new work or study permit in the mail).

However, you must provide proof that we approved your application, such as:
  • a screenshot of the approval message we sent to your online account
  • your application number
  • any other document that proves you have a valid and approved study or work permit extension

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html
You can also send a webform with a copy of your physical WP after you get it, but they probably won't even see it before they approve the TRV.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndoan95

gabeblamo

Oct 6, 2022
I got my pgwp approved today!!! When I checked my application yesterday, the review of eligibility hasn't started yet. I got curious and checked it today, and got approved! Thanks to this forum, I had an idea of the processing time.

Applied: August 29, 2022
Approved: December 29, 2022

Reactions: andrews17 and nmp98

abbot92

Apr 3, 2020
PGWP initial application
Applied: August, 1st, 2022
Approved: December, 29th, 2022

I finally got approved for PGWP, so I post this for sharing and trying to resolve my issue at the same time.
After approval, I only have received a correspondence letter about Biometrics, which is kind of confusing.
Not only they haven't sent out a letter said that they sent the PGWP via mail, there is no permit validity prospection (like permit of 3 years).
Does anyone knows why IRCC only sent out eTA expiry date as a document status, not the PGWP itself?
Last time I got study permit, there are expiry dates for both of eTA and study permit.

Super happy and kind of confused.
Thanks in advance for sharing your idea of my situation!

Reactions: andrews17

Aish8

Star Member
Apr 17, 2019
PGWP initial application
Applied: August, 1st, 2022
Approved: December, 29th, 2022

I finally got approved for PGWP, so I post this for sharing and trying to resolve my issue at the same time.
After approval, I only have received a correspondence letter about Biometrics, which is kind of confusing.
Not only they haven't sent out a letter said that they sent the PGWP via mail, there is no permit validity prospection (like permit of 3 years).
Does anyone knows why IRCC only sent out eTA expiry date as a document status, not the PGWP itself?
Last time I got study permit, there are expiry dates for both of eTA and study permit.

Super happy and kind of confused.
Thanks in advance for sharing your idea of my situation!
You will receive it in a couple of days.

sabbyjones

Jul 21, 2022
Guys I completed my study in dec now I am applying pgwp. my question is should I hire immigration consultant to apply pgwp or I can apply by sel as there are lots of videos like how to apply. What you guys suggest... Thanks in advance...

LucasSK

Jan 1, 2023
Guys I completed my study in dec now I am applying pgwp. my question is should I hire immigration consultant to apply pgwp or I can apply by sel as there are lots of videos like how to apply. What you guys suggest... Thanks in advance...
Do it by yourself and save the money. It’s not hard tbh.

VishnuJ2796

Dec 18, 2018
Anyone applied for pgwp in September 2022 and got approval?
Please let me know ..
Still waiting
Applied on September 7th. Nothing till now except the confirmation and wp-ext. I'm hoping they're gonna process September applications now in January after holidays.

Reactions: nmp98