+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

ndoan95

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
Hi guys, just logged in to my CIC account and see that eligibility review was started today (checked at 8.30AM) and my family PGWP application was approved. Timeline:
Submitted on June 08, 2022
Review of egibility and approvals on Dec 15, 2022.
5 years of PhD study for a 3-year PGWP.
Wish you all are waiting best of lucks!

Yagnavel

Nov 18, 2022
Thank you.

1) If your employer is asking for the letter then yes otherwise it's not necessary. You're on maintained status if your WP is expired.

2) Optional. Just provide UCI, Application number and your inquiry.

3) I have submitted total 3 webforms for my application.

First one was to change my address on file for which, I never got a reply. (but they'll apply those changes for sure)

On second Webform I submitted my spouse's pgwp, which I got reply after a month that it has been added to my file.

Third I raised on Dec 13 asking status of my application and it's been around 160 days etc etc (be polite and appreciative) for which I received reply on Dec 14 that they are "processing applications as quickly as possible" (I believe the officer sent me that response) as in few minutes my review started and application was approved today.

Raising a Webform inquiring status of your application near the current processing time is effective. Also, it was suggested by an applicant here.
Got you !! thank you so much for brief response.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
My wife's SOWP (I'm on a PGWP)

Submitted July 29
Review eligibility Dec 13
Approved Dec 14
So I just noticed something.

When we applied for my wife's SOWP extension, we were living in London, ON.

In September, we moved to Hamilton, ON, and we sent a webform changing the address.

Now I noticed that her approval letter has the old London address, not the new one. So I'm guessing they'll send the work permit to our old address in London. I tried to call several times but I never get connected. Is there anything I can do? We did the same thing for my PGWP application and my address was correctly changed.

syedsamiuddin

Star Member
Jan 9, 2020
Alberta
Category........
CEC
AOR Received.
20-10-2023
Hi guys, just logged in to my CIC account and see that eligibility review was started today (checked at 8.30AM) and my family PGWP application was approved. Timeline:
Did you apply pgwp in the same application as yours or separate application for the family?

OAB006

Dec 15, 2022
PGWP EXT. SPECIAL MEASURE
Applied - JUNE 28th
Special measure Email- August 2nd
Got interim work permit Email - August 10th
Review Started - December 14th
Approved - December 15th

i applied before the email for special measure was sent out, hoping to get my work permit on time to avoid delays. couldn't wait for the automatic renewal as it was taking longer than normal.

paid $155 for processing fees

iona_s22

Star Member
Jul 15, 2021

Rac23

Apr 15, 2020
SOWP extension (based on spouse's pgwp) timeline (Inland, Montreal):

Applied on July 08.
Raised a Webform on Dec 13 asking status of my application.
Eligibility review started on Dec 14.
Approved on Dec 15.

I applied on my own. Feel free to ask me anything about the procedure, and I'll be happy to help.
Hello, congratulations on your approval!
Did you apply for your SOWP after your spouse’s PGWP got approved? Or while it was in progress? I am graduating soon and have to apply for my PGWP and spouse’s SOWP, your experience will be helpful.

Mandalorian

Nov 21, 2019
winnipeg
NOC Code......
PGWP EXT. SPECIAL MEASURE
Applied - JUNE 28th
Special measure Email- August 2nd
Got interim work permit Email - August 10th
Review Started - December 14th
Approved - December 15th

i applied before the email for special measure was sent out, hoping to get my work permit on time to avoid delays. couldn't wait for the automatic renewal as it was taking longer than normal.

paid $155 for processing fees
Hey there, congratulations on your approval. So did you apply twice for your PGWP ext? Or just once on June 28th.

I applied on May 29th before the policy and applied again on Aug 8th. But unfortunately they rejected(oct last week) my first application which I submitted on May 29th. I also submitted my new application details through web form. But no luck.

qqylotomxmtgnmikst

Oct 28, 2021
Great news! Congratulations!

EDIT:
I got approved today! Yay!

Last edited:

SNP0201

Star Member
Mar 27, 2020
Hello, congratulations on your approval!
Did you apply for your SOWP after your spouse’s PGWP got approved? Or while it was in progress? I am graduating soon and have to apply for my PGWP and spouse’s SOWP, your experience will be helpful.
Thank you.

You don't need to wait for your spouse's pgwp approval.

Attach "Submission Confirmation" letter of your spouse's pgwp application with your sowp application.

Write an explanation letter mentioning all the details of your spouse (UCI, Application number, Date of submission etc), and that you'll provide his/her Post Grad Work Permit copy as soon as you receive it.

Usually they can check the status of your spouse's pgwp through their UCI and application number, but safer side just upload the hard copy through Webform once pgwp application is approved to support your application.

I followed the same process.

OAB006

Dec 15, 2022
Hey there, congratulations on your approval. So did you apply twice for your PGWP ext? Or just once on June 28th.

I applied on May 29th before the policy and applied again on Aug 8th. But unfortunately they rejected(oct last week) my first application which I submitted on May 29th. I also submitted my new application details through web form. But no luck.
i applied just once on the 28th of june

Reactions: shanky1202

qqylotomxmtgnmikst

Oct 28, 2021
Applied for PGWP on June 2nd, along with Visitor's Record extension for my spouse and kid on the same application.
Review started on Dec. 16th (possibly 15th),
Approved on Dec. 16th.
Took 6.5 months. No call or webform made. Don't get too worried. You'll get it eventually.
What I didn't expect is that it's valid for 3 years from NOW. So it actually serves as a 3.5-year permit. Cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndoan95