+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

ukuduck

Mar 1, 2022
My work permit has finally been approved!
Applied: Jan 26th
Eligibility review started: Aug 2nd
Approved: Aug 3rd
Total: 189 days...

For the record, my study permit expired 26 days before I submitted my PGWP application, which is most likely why it's delayed. As long as you pay for the $350 study permit restoration fee and your SP expired for less than 90 days, you are fine.

Does anyone know if you can apply for SIN number with just the PGWP document number? (It will take a few days to receive the physical PGWP document but I do want to get my SIN asap)

ukuduck

Mar 1, 2022
Also is there any "corresponding letter" pdf after the application is approved? I only see the document number, its valid date, etc.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023

For the record, my study permit expired 26 days before I submitted my PGWP application, which is most likely why it's delayed. As long as you pay for the $350 study permit restoration fee and your SP expired for less than 90 days, you are fine.

Does anyone know if you can apply for SIN number with just the PGWP document number? (It will take a few days to receive the physical PGWP document but I do want to get my SIN asap)
Congrats! - You need the physical copy of the work permit since that is what confirms your status in Canada. It took two business days for mine to arrive, I'm in Vancouver and it was sent from Edmonton. I'd say you'll have it in less than a week.

Reactions: Haze22

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Also is there any "corresponding letter" pdf after the application is approved? I only see the document number, its valid date, etc.
You'll get an "Approval in-Canada' letter in your account, it usually take a few hours or even a day to show up in the messages.

Reactions: Haze22

imaadabbas

Jul 6, 2022

Congrats! It's been 189 days for me to. Didn't get anything yet :(

Reactions: ukuduck and Haze22

ndoan95

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
Dear all,
I applied on June 08, 2022 and a letter sent from IRCC on June 08, 2022 states that I can work until October 06, 2022 (~120 days since the application is submitted), for sure nothing until today, August 3, 2022.

Given the current processing time (~5 to 6 months as in other people's cases), I may not have a decision until October 06, 2022 and that I do not want to lose my job. Is anyone here in the same situation like me and would it be possible if I can ask for an extension for the last day that I can work legally without the PGWP?

Thank you very much!

Reactions: IbrahimS22

ElianeB

Feb 9, 2022
Dear all,
I applied on June 08, 2022 and a letter sent from IRCC on June 08, 2022 states that I can work until October 06, 2022 (~120 days since the application is submitted), for sure nothing until today, August 3, 2022.

Given the current processing time (~5 to 6 months as in other people's cases), I may not have a decision until October 06, 2022 and that I do not want to lose my job. Is anyone here in the same situation like me and would it be possible if I can ask for an extension for the last day that I can work legally without the PGWP?

Thank you very much!
Your work eligibility is not based on the letter, but IRPR s186(w). Check it here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html#Toc6
You are eligible to work regardless of whether you receive the letter or whether the letter has expired.
The real concern might be, whether your employer would be willing to keep you after your SIN expires (though you are still legally eligible to work).

ElianeB

Feb 9, 2022
Dear all,

Thank you very much!
Sorry the wrong link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#authorization

ndoan95

Star Member
Aug 3, 2022
Hey ElianeB, you are a life saver. Thank you very much for this piece of information. I spent the whole day and only find the general answer from the IRCC's FAQ that states that I can work full time untill a decision is made with no mentioning about the letter.

ElianeB

Feb 9, 2022
Hey ElianeB, you are a life saver. Thank you very much for this piece of information. I spent the whole day and only find the general answer from the IRCC's FAQ that states that I can work full time untill a decision is made with no mentioning about the letter.
Good to know it helps

Reactions: IbrahimS22