+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

gaganmultani

Dec 11, 2014
Hi there everyone is it normal to have your application status as submitted from past 3 months?
And can we travel back to Canada if we applied work permit from inside and then moved back to our home country due to some medical emergencies.

Hwallikniw

Star Member
May 25, 2022
So you need to apply for a TRV to enter Canada. Work permit allows you to work not enter Canada.
I have a visa which I got when I was still student. It's student type. Is it still considered a TRV? It it valid till end of September! Thanks a lot for your help

gaganmultani

Dec 11, 2014
So have you applied for a PGWP? When did you graduate? You can apply for it outland and then a TRV will be processed a the same time.
I applied an inland application already
It has been around 100 days, if I apply for an outland application now it will be another year

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I applied an inland application already
It has been around 100 days, if I apply for an outland application now it will be another year
Still haven’t answered question…when did you graduate? Your study permit expires 90 days after graduation (not convocation) and do you have a valid TRV?

tubkal

Star Member
Jun 8, 2022
Dumb question, but does anyone have any idea why the processing times have been getting longer each month, instead of staying the same or decreasing. I thought IRCC was working on their timings this year.

Hwallikniw

Star Member
May 25, 2022
So you have a study permit and TRV? When did you graduate?
I graduated end of January. My study permit is valid on paper till next year but I assume it automatically expires after 3 months of graduation. I am leaving country in a week and be back after 2 weeks. Just wanted to make sure I can still enter with a student type visa

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I graduated end of January. My study permit is valid on paper till next year but I assume it automatically expires after 3 months of graduation. I am leaving country in a week and be back after 2 weeks. Just wanted to make sure I can still enter with a student type visa
Your study permit expires 90 days after graduation or at expiry, whichever comes first. So if you graduated in january then your permit expired in April. Are you in Canada and if so, what is your status in Canada now because if you didn’t extend study permit then you are out of status. So no you would not be allowed in.
UBC explains it well.

https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/temporary-resident-visa-trv

Hwallikniw

Star Member
May 25, 2022
Your study permit expires 90 days after graduation or at expiry, whichever comes first. So if you graduated in january then your permit expired in April. Are you in Canada and if so, what is your status in Canada now because if you didn’t extend study permit then you are out of status. So no you would not be allowed in.
UBC explains it well.

https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/temporary-resident-visa-trv
Thanks for the reply. I am waiting for my PGWP. I applied right after my graduation and I am in implied status. Does that mean I can't enter country unless I renew my visa?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the reply. I am waiting for my PGWP. I applied right after my graduation and I am in implied status. Does that mean I can't enter country unless I renew my visa?
You are on implied status only if you remain in Canada. You need a TRV to re-enter. Applying for a PGWP is not the same process as applying for a TRV. Once you leave on implied status and return you cannot work or study until there is a decision. Apply for a TRV.
https://www.canadavisa.com/implied-status-in-canada.html

Hwallikniw

Star Member
May 25, 2022
You are on implied status only if you remain in Canada. You need a TRV to re-enter. Applying for a PGWP is not the same process as applying for a TRV. Once you leave on implied status and return you cannot work or study until there is a decision. Apply for a TRV.
https://www.canadavisa.com/implied-status-in-canada.html
Thanks so much. I am so sorry for asking a lot. I have still a valid TRV. Should I wait to get my work permit and then travel with the same valid TRV?