+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

bac0n14

Star Member
Feb 3, 2022
Pgwp approved!
Applied:Jan 08
Approved:Jun 07
Program length : 1 year
Pgwp length:1.5 years
congrats! i thought it was only between 1 or 3 yrs for the pgwp length. that's good to know. is it full 1yr study or 8 months like some other courses?

reza123456

Apr 1, 2019
She can keep working until a decision is made on her application. - An automatic letter WP-EXT was probably issued on her online account when she applied just login and download that letter, she can show her employer that she's authorized to work full-time until the decision is made using that letter. She does not have to renew her study permit while waiting for her PGWP decision.

Check this link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181

Can I work while I am waiting to receive my post-graduation work permit?
You can work full-time while waiting for a decision on your post-graduation work permit application if, at the time you submitted your application, you:
  • had a valid study permit,
  • had completed your program of study,
  • were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and
  • did not work off-campus more than 20 hours a week during academic sessions.
Thanks for the quick reply. Are WP-EXT and IMM5739_2 the same? We can see an automatic generated letter saying "This confirms that your application has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on __________________(yyyy/mm/dd)." Do you mean this is what she needs to show her employer? How about the SIN? SIN wont be expired when she has this letter?

Reactions: Llwyd

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
Thanks for the quick reply. Are WP-EXT and IMM5739_2 the same? We can see an automatic generated letter saying "This confirms that your application has been received by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on __________________(yyyy/mm/dd)." Do you mean this is what she needs to show her employer? How about the SIN? SIN wont be expired when she has this letter?
No WP_EXT and IMM0127_1 are same.

You can still work on expired SIN if you have a WP application under process and as soon as it gets approved, send it to CRA and they will mail you the new expiry date (SIN will remain the same) - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1505&top=17