+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

jeffjay

Star Member
Jan 5, 2022
@jeffjay - so you applied for SOWP without your work permit and sent it via webform later. Is my understanding correct?
Yes. For SOWP application, we only submitted the PGWP application submission confirmation + all other necessary documents + letter of explanation. We tried submitting PGWP via webform after we got it. Never received a reply for webform.

Reactions: Miracle2018

Nick20

Star Member
Aug 9, 2020
Hello Guys,

I applied for PGWP on 20th Jan and final decision is expected by 19th May. I am currently working full time. However, if I do not get response by 19th May, what happens to my eligibility to work ? Application letter shows that I am authorized to work for any employer, in any occupation with no restriction on hours until or until a decision is made on application, whichever is first which is 19th May.

My original study permit is till Dec,2022 however I completed my masters soon. I have to let my employer know accordingly.

Kindly guide what shall I do?

Braykhna Khan

Jun 18, 2019
Hello Guys,

I applied for PGWP on 20th Jan and final decision is expected by 19th May. I am currently working full time. However, if I do not get response by 19th May, what happens to my eligibility to work ? Application letter shows that I am authorized to work for any employer, in any occupation with no restriction on hours until or until a decision is made on application, whichever is first which is 19th May.

My original study permit is till Dec,2022 however I completed my masters soon. I have to let my employer know accordingly.

Hey,

Did they start reviewing your eligibility?

Nick20

Star Member
Aug 9, 2020
I am sorry i just read your post again and it says final decision is due by 19th May? So what decision are you referring to though?
I mean PGWP application decision,,,They provided WP-EXT on 20th Jan and gave processing days of 120 days..i mean if I do not get decision by that day what happens to my working status...shall I stop working till decision is made??

Braykhna Khan

Jun 18, 2019
Oh man. I dont even know what that means cause when I applied for PGWP i never received a letter. But i believe you can still continue to work because they are taking loner to approval applications now.

Nick20

Star Member
Aug 9, 2020
Oh man. I dont even know what that means cause when I applied for PGWP i never received a letter. But i believe you can still continue to work because they are taking loner to approval applications now.
sure..if you have any link that shows I can work please share,..if not also its ok,,thank you for your time

Jaspreet2196

Star Member
May 6, 2018
sure..if you have any link that shows I can work please share,..if not also its ok,,thank you for your time
Relax, I am in the same boat. You can work Full-Time till a decision is made, if you want to be double sure, check with your HR. This is common scenario nowadays.

Reactions: Nick20

JerBear123

May 12, 2022
Hello Guys,

I am sensing there is a bit more to your situation here so I just want to clarify some stuff:
  1. From the date of the Letter of Completion (LOP) from your university/college, your student status ends with immediate effect, which means you are no longer authorized to study in Canada unless either you apply for another study permit, or if your future studies does not require a study permit.
  2. Another member mentions the 90 days extension after your LOP, please note that according to IRCC statute, you must stop studying and working immediately upon receiving the LOP from your institution, and leave Canada by the date of your Study Permit expiry or 90 days after your LOP date, whichever is earlier, unless you apply for another status, that is, another Study Permit or Work Permit. Alternatively, you can apply to remain as a visitor but that is another story.
  3. If you satisfy the 3 conditions for implied worker status, that is you were on the 90-days extended after your LOP date and you did not breach any condition of your study permit during the time you were studying, then you will have implied worker status from the day that you apply for PGWP, until a decision is made. That means you are allowed to work full-time within Canada for any employer for unlimited hours. This is regardless if a WP-EXT is issued to you, as your eligibility is stated in https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/section-186.html under 186(w)