+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
Yeah, I know. As I applied on May 24th, I don't have high expectation to hear from them this week or next week. However,
it's so stressfull to wait for such a long time, especially when the processing time keeps increasing and there are few applicants who have not heard back from IRCC for over 100 days. So worried
Applied on May 23rd is here. Still waiting, no worries we will get ours next couple weeks.

hkang12

May 7, 2019
Hey guys,
I have a quick question. i need to see doctor. im not sure if my college health insurance is still valid or expired. dose anyone know is heath insurance gets expired with completion of studies.

jaspersun0106

Jul 13, 2019
Hey guys,
I have a quick question. i need to see doctor. im not sure if my college health insurance is still valid or expired. dose anyone know is heath insurance gets expired with completion of studies.
check your college health insurance expired date, you can still use that before that day.

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Hey guys,
Insurance is until Aug 31. But when you see a doctor, you'll just bring your MSP.

hkang12

May 7, 2019
I tried to pull up my card. student health card but it doesn’t came out maybe it’s expired. all i can do is pray my PGWP get approved and i can get a health card.

yay_321

Jun 15, 2019
Any updates guys?
Hey! I checked my student health insurance, it is valid until 30 August, do you have a copy of it lying somewhere such as in your email, because maybe the college/university account you are trying to log in has expired and not your health insurance. Worth giving it a shot, since we international students have to pay extremely high premiums for these insurances in our course fees.

Also, unfortunately, as far as I know you can not apply for OHIP just after you get the PGWP, you have to be employed for six months full time as a temporary resident to be eligible for OHIP. Also after you meet the eligibility requirements there is a three month waiting period after which your coverage starts, so 9 months in total.

Here is the website:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2

Reactions: hkang12

yay_321

Jun 15, 2019
I actually had a question from the experts around here who got their PGWP a while back about the next step (PR).
If we work while waiting for the PGWP can we use that period for the one year of CEC immigrating or should we count from the day the permit was issued? I'm reading lots of contradictory stuff about this.
We sure can! If you wish I can pull up the regulation that says so, just let me know.

mcarbon

Feb 23, 2019
Also, unfortunately, as far as I know you can not apply for OHIP just after you get the PGWP, you have to be employed for six months full time as a temporary resident to be eligible for OHIP. Also after you meet the eligibility requirements there is a three month waiting period after which your coverage starts, so 9 months in total.

Here is the website:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2
You do not need to have worked for six months to qualify. Your employment situation will have to be longer than six months, so you just need to get a letter from your employer that states that you will be employed full-time for at least the next six months. So really the waiting time is only 3 months after you get your PGWP and you meet the other eligibility criteria.

The wording in this link is a bit more clear about the work requirements:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

This must be an original document (contract or letter) on employer company letterhead signed and dated by the employer and state:
  • that the employee is working full-time
  • the title/occupation of the position
  • that the employee will be working for the company within Ontario
  • the start date of employment, and
  • that the employer intends to employ the employee for a minimum of six (6) months (the letter can state the employee is permanent. However, this does not replace the criteria to confirm “Full Time”)

yay_321

Jun 15, 2019
You do not need to have worked for six months to qualify. Your employment situation will have to be longer than six months, so you just need to get a letter from your employer that states that you will be employed full-time for at least the next six months. So really the waiting time is only 3 months after you get your PGWP and you meet the other eligibility criteria.

The wording in this link is a bit more clear about the work requirements:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

This must be an original document (contract or letter) on employer company letterhead signed and dated by the employer and state:
  • that the employee is working full-time
  • the title/occupation of the position
  • that the employee will be working for the company within Ontario
  • the start date of employment, and
  • that the employer intends to employ the employee for a minimum of six (6) months (the letter can state the employee is permanent. However, this does not replace the criteria to confirm “Full Time”)
Wow thats awesome, I didn't know that. You saved the day!