+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm in a difficult situation and unfortunately, I didn't seek professional assistance regarding my Study permit, which I recently discovered is expiring on May 30th, 2023. I have been unemployed since April 11th, and it has become extremely challenging to afford rent and other expenses without a job for such a long period. Back in April, I received my final grades and assumed I had enough time to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and be on implied status to work while waiting for my application. However, on May 28th, when I attempted to download the last document required for my PGWP application (letter of completion), it was still marked as "pending." Unfortunately, this means I can no longer work while my PGWP application is being processed, as my study permit has expired. Consequently, I now need to pay the $605 restoration fee and will be unable to work during the waiting period, which could be up to 5 months. It's uncertain how I will manage to afford rent during this time, considering my monthly rent is $1,000.

I recently received an email confirming the approval of my graduation, and I can now download my letter of completion. I am also awaiting the availability of my official transcript for pickup from my university. Once I have all the required documents, I intend to apply for the PGWP as soon as possible. However, I have noticed on the IRCC website that the processing time for a paper application is 15 days, while online applications take up to 139 days. It is crucial for me to obtain my PGWP as quickly as possible, so that I can legally work again and afford my rent. Additionally, I am concerned about my passport, which expires on November 20th this year. Currently, I do not have sufficient funds to apply for a passport extension, but I expect to have the necessary funds in approximately four weeks, thanks to the financial support of a close friend. Can somebody tell me what their experience was applying online or on paper? I heard that with shipping and stuff it'll cost me $100 extra to apply on paper, which is a lot on top of the $605 restoration plus the $200 i have to pay for my passport renewal and shipping for that is probably another $100

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice regarding my situation. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm in a difficult situation and unfortunately, I didn't seek professional assistance regarding my Study permit, which I recently discovered is expiring on May 30th, 2023. I have been unemployed since April 11th, and it has become extremely challenging to afford rent and other expenses without a job for such a long period. Back in April, I received my final grades and assumed I had enough time to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and be on implied status to work while waiting for my application. However, on May 28th, when I attempted to download the last document required for my PGWP application (letter of completion), it was still marked as "pending." Unfortunately, this means I can no longer work while my PGWP application is being processed, as my study permit has expired. Consequently, I now need to pay the $605 restoration fee and will be unable to work during the waiting period, which could be up to 5 months. It's uncertain how I will manage to afford rent during this time, considering my monthly rent is $1,000.

I recently received an email confirming the approval of my graduation, and I can now download my letter of completion. I am also awaiting the availability of my official transcript for pickup from my university. Once I have all the required documents, I intend to apply for the PGWP as soon as possible. However, I have noticed on the IRCC website that the processing time for a paper application is 15 days, while online applications take up to 139 days. It is crucial for me to obtain my PGWP as quickly as possible, so that I can legally work again and afford my rent. Additionally, I am concerned about my passport, which expires on November 20th this year. Currently, I do not have sufficient funds to apply for a passport extension, but I expect to have the necessary funds in approximately four weeks, thanks to the financial support of a close friend. Can somebody tell me what their experience was applying online or on paper? I heard that with shipping and stuff it'll cost me $100 extra to apply on paper, which is a lot on top of the $605 restoration plus the $200 i have to pay for my passport renewal and shipping for that is probably another $100

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice regarding my situation. Thank you.
When did you graduate? Applying by paper is only an option for certain circumstances so read the requirements (eg. Have a disability so cannot apply online), as IRCC asks for you to apply online. People apply by paper and shouldn’t have and still wait 130+ days. Your work permit may only be given for the length of your passport.

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
When did you graduate? Applying by paper is only an option for certain circumstances so read the requirements (eg. Have a disability so cannot apply online), as IRCC asks for you to apply online. People apply by paper and shouldn’t have and still wait 130+ days. Your work permit may only be given for the length of your passport.
I recently received approval from the Senate on June 2nd, which confirms my graduation. However, I'm currently waiting for my official transcript to become available for pickup from the university. Once I have all the required documents, I plan to apply for my PGWP and pay the $605 fee to restore my student status. I'm concerned about the processing time for this application, especially considering that my passport is only valid until November 20th.

Jun 2, 2023
Hi everyone . I applied my pgwp on 25 jan 2023 and last week i come to know that i select open wp in my imm5710 form instead of pgwp. After that my lawyer put web form explain this mistake and got reply of web form that you information is added to your file for pfficer view. Im in worry . Can anyone tell me how much time i have to wait?

LouisValenti

Star Member
Apr 24, 2023
Hi everyone . I applied my pgwp on 25 jan 2023 and last week i come to know that i select open wp in my imm5710 form instead of pgwp. After that my lawyer put web form explain this mistake and got reply of web form that you information is added to your file for pfficer view. Im in worry . Can anyone tell me how much time i have to wait?
You will be good, it is actually not a mistake. The officer issue work permit according to provided documents. However inland owp is much slower than pgwp. Maybe 1-2 weeks later you will get yours. Let us know if there’s any updates.

Reactions: Mehakdeep sandhu