+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time (PGWP)

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Hi, does anyone know if I can continue to work after the expiration date on WP-EXT for PGWP? I submitted it on February 1, 2022, and I haven't received the decision yet, and today it crossed the 120 days mark (the expiration date was June 1, 2022). Do I need to show my employer any other document other than the WP-EXT for PGWP?

I am extremely sorry if it has been answered already, it's just that I am extremely worried thinking that I have to stop working/ leave my job because 120 days have passed. If it helps, I have applied for my PGWP for the first time.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Please help!
Hey, yes you can keep working past the 120 days of the letter - The letter has 120 days on it because that is the service standard, if you need another letter once the first one expires you can reach out using a webform. This is what appears on IRCC website:

If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.

If your employer or others need proof that you can continue to work

• you can show them this web page, or
  • if your employer is not satisfied with the information on this page, you can contact us
Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/after-apply.html

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Hi everyone! I am an international student, who graduated, if I apply online for the PWGP, the processing time is 144 days. Can I go through the flagpole and get the PWGP? Has anyone passed the flash drive recently?

You can unite and go together, write in a personal
Hi, yes you can do it, once you receive your PGWP at the border (paying the $255 fee again) you must withdraw your online application by submitting a webform.

AdmiralGG

Star Member
Jun 2, 2022
Hey, yes you can keep working past the 120 days of the letter - The letter has 120 days on it because that is the service standard, if you need another letter once the first one expires you can reach out using a webform. This is what appears on IRCC website:

If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter
If we don’t finalize your application by the date on your letter, you can still keep working until we make a decision.

If your employer or others need proof that you can continue to work

• you can show them this web page, or
  • if your employer is not satisfied with the information on this page, you can contact us
Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend/after-apply.html
Hi, thanks a lot for your comment! I might be wrong, isn't the link that you shared for those who already have a valid work permit (WP-EXT except PGWP) ? Whereas, for the first time PGWP applicants, it's WP-EXT for PGWP?

Reactions: nickgrizzly

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Hi, thanks a lot for your comment! I might be wrong, isn't the link that you shared for those who already have a valid work permit (WP-EXT except PGWP) ? Whereas, for the first time PGWP applicants, it's WP-EXT for PGWP?
Sorry!

See the right content below:

Letter validity
Officers should understand that the validity date of the letter in no way overrides the authority of paragraph R186(w), which allows foreign nationals who meet the requirements to continue working until a final decision is made on their work permit application.

The letter has a 120-day validity from the date of receipt, which corresponds with IRCC’s service standard for in-Canada applications. Historically, IRCC meets its service standard more than 90% of the time; therefore, only a few applicants will require a new letter. Most should receive a decision before the 120 days have expired.

Go to: Letter Validity

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

• Love
Reactions: AdmiralGG

AdmiralGG

Star Member
Jun 2, 2022
Sorry!

See the right content below:

Letter validity
Officers should understand that the validity date of the letter in no way overrides the authority of paragraph R186(w), which allows foreign nationals who meet the requirements to continue working until a final decision is made on their work permit application.

The letter has a 120-day validity from the date of receipt, which corresponds with IRCC’s service standard for in-Canada applications. Historically, IRCC meets its service standard more than 90% of the time; therefore, only a few applicants will require a new letter. Most should receive a decision before the 120 days have expired.

Go to: Letter Validity

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html
Thanks a lot! Which means I can work full time, but I need to raise a web form to get a new letter, which might take another 2-3 weeks! I was wondering if I can work in the meantime while waiting to get the renewed letter

Clive Standen

Jun 2, 2022
Hi, yes you can do this, once you have received your PGWP at the border (paying the $255 fee again) you must withdraw your online application by submitting the web form.
Thanks for the answer! Is there any link confirming that the officer should review my application? I was already at the border (Rainbow Bridge) the officers answer: Come later, come tomorrow .... They don’t even want to look at the documents

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Thanks a lot! Which means I can work full time, but I need to raise a web form to get a new letter, which might take another 2-3 weeks! I was wondering if I can work in the meantime while waiting to get the renewed letter
You may request a new letter if your employer is not satisfied with the website information and asks you for a new letter - yes, you can continue working while waiting for the new letter.

Walecott

Mar 24, 2019
Victoria, BC
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
Thanks for the answer! Is there any link confirming that the officer should review my application? I was already at the border (Rainbow Bridge) the officers answer: Come later, come tomorrow .... They don’t even want to look at the documents
I believe that there are specific days and times that flagpoling is done. Please confirm details before you go.