+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) & Express Entry

tuba.hq

Jan 18, 2020
Hi,

I am currently on PGWP, which is due to expire in July 2020

I am also in the Express Entry pool with 437 points (Canadian Degree + Really good IELTS score + 1 year Canadian Work Experience). However, once I get 2 years of work experience, in Canada, in June 2020, the points increase to 462.

Now, given my PGWP is expiring in July 2020, I am not sure what other ways are there to extend my stay in Canada, till I hopefully get the ITA, after June 2020 (When I complete my 2-year Canadian work experience). My employer did try to get an LMIA for once of its employees, but it was negative. I am currently in NOC B type.

So just wanted to know what my options are out there. Help will be appreciated!

P.S I really also want to continue working.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am also in the Express Entry pool with 437 points (Canadian Degree + Really good IELTS score + 1 year Canadian Work Experience). However, once I get 2 years of work experience, in Canada, in June 2020, the points increase to 462.

Now, given my PGWP is expiring in July 2020, I am not sure what other ways are there to extend my stay in Canada, till I hopefully get the ITA, after June 2020 (When I complete my 2-year Canadian work experience). My employer did try to get an LMIA for once of its employees, but it was negative. I am currently in NOC B type.

Thanks!
Draws have been holding steady at 470+ for several months and haven't dropped to 462 since September, so be aware that you may not get an ITA with that score.

Your options are limited. If you get an ITA, submit the PR app and get AOR before your PGWP expires, you can apply for a BOWP. If not, you can apply to change your status to visitor and stop working as of PGWP expiry.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi,

Thanks!
First, I hope you get an ITA in the coming months before your PGWP expires. Second, have you try applying to your province and other provinces under PNP? Additionally, you can inquire from your employer, why the previous LMIA for an employee was not successful. In my opinion, one of the factors, maybe that your employer didn't meet the requirements or eligible. If that is this case, you can still be in the look out/search for company or organization with track record of obtaining LMIA for employee or PGWP holder. Wishing you good luck.

tuba.hq

Jan 18, 2020
First, I hope you get an ITA in the coming months before your PGWP expires. Second, have you try applying to your province and other provinces under PNP? Additionally, you can inquire from your employer, why the previous LMIA for an employee was not successful. In my opinion, one of the factors, maybe that your employer didn't meet the requirements or eligible. If that is this case, you can still be in the look out/search for company or organization with track record of obtaining LMIA for employee or PGWP holder. Wishing you good luck.

Thank you for your response. I did see the ONIP Student Stream - Job Offer, but unfortunately, its closed as of now and it also requires students to apply within 2 years of graduation.

tuba.hq

Jan 18, 2020
Draws have been holding steady at 470+ for several months and haven't dropped to 462 since September, so be aware that you may not get an ITA with that score.

Your options are limited. If you get an ITA, submit the PR app and get AOR before your PGWP expires, you can apply for a BOWP. If not, you can apply to change your status to visitor and stop working as of PGWP expiry.

Thank you for your response. I was thinking if I get a study permit and work towards certification while working 20 hours (part-time) on my student visa. It might help me buy some time?

But if I do work 20 hours (part time) on my study permit, it wont count towards anything, correct?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Thank you for your response. I was thinking if I get a study permit and work towards certification while working 20 hours (part-time) on my student visa. It might help me buy some time?

But if I do work 20 hours (part time) on my study permit, it wont count towards anything, correct?
Yes. Did you inquire why previous LMIA by your employer for an employee wasn't successful? Did you ask if the employer will be able to apply for an LMIA for you?