+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) duration for Masters program of duration less than 2 years

xendron

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
What is the duration of PGWP in case that the international student has completed a masters program with program length of 16 months to 23 months ? I know that the IRCC
[https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html] mentions that the duration of PGWP for masters program of length 16-23 months (without breaks) may be 3 years, whereas in case of masters program of length 2 years or more (with breaks) the PGWP duration is fixed at 3 years.

Do they generally grant 3 year PGWP when the student has completed a masters program of length 16-23 months (without breaks) ?

Bhairav

Aug 20, 2020
What is the duration of PGWP in case that the international student has completed a masters program with program length of 16 months to 23 months ? I know that the IRCC
[https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html] mentions that the duration of PGWP for masters program of length 16-23 months (without breaks) may be 3 years, whereas in case of masters program of length 2 years or more (with breaks) the PGWP duration is fixed at 3 years.

Do they generally grant 3 year PGWP when the student has completed a masters program of length 16-23 months (without breaks) ?
With 16 year they are granting 3 years PGWP.

xendron

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
With 16 year they are granting 3 years PGWP.
16 months right ? Actually the program mentions 4 terms and 1.4 years, and I am not sure about the duration of PGWP after completing the program. Also, IRCC website mentions "Officers may issue 3‑year post-graduation work permits" in case of masters less than 2 year. But in case of masters programs of 2 years the website says " the length of the work permit should be 3 years". So, the confusion is regarding "may" and "should".

Bhairav

Aug 20, 2020
16 months right ? Actually the program mentions 4 terms and 1.4 years, and I am not sure about the duration of PGWP after completing the program. Also, IRCC website mentions "Officers may issue 3‑year post-graduation work permits" in case of masters less than 2 year. But in case of masters programs of 2 years the website says " the length of the work permit should be 3 years". So, the confusion is regarding "may" and "should".
My in-law had completed his master in 1.4 year and he got 3 year work permit.
They had a session with IRCC representative at University and they said for 3 year work permit 16 month is required.

xendron

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
My in-law had completed his master in 1.4 year and he got 3 year work permit.
They had a session with IRCC representative at University and they said for 3 year work permit 16 month is required.
Thank you for your answer. Secondly, can you confirm that whether it was a 2 year program that he completed early (in 1.4 years) or was it a 4 term (1.4 year) program completed on time. Again, Thanks.

CommentDebate

Jul 12, 2020
Thank you for your answer. Secondly, can you confirm that whether it was a 2 year program that he completed early (in 1.4 years) or was it a 4 term (1.4 year) program completed on time. Again, Thanks.
I recently learnt this. A full-term 16 months program gets completed one term after the course completes.i.e. A 16-month course starting in September 2020, will actually get completed in June 2022. There is an empty semester and you will have convocation in June 2022. Can anyone explain this more in detail?

xendron

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
I recently learnt this. A full-term 16 months program gets completed one term after the course completes.i.e. A 16-month course starting in September 2020, will actually get completed in June 2022. There is an empty semester and you will have convocation in June 2022. Can anyone explain this more in detail?
I am taking about a similar issue too. What I meant to say in my question was, Since, the university mentions 4 terms (1.4 years) on the course website as course duration, Will the IRCC consider it as a 2 year program or a 16 month program for immigration purposes ?

IRCC also mentions that, the time a student takes to complete a program does not matter. That is, If the university in it's letter to IRCC, writes that it is a X month long program and the student completes it earlier or takes some extra time to complete, then IRCC will consider it as a X month long program only.

The website says:
"
Accelerated programs
If you complete your study program in less time than the normal length of the program, you may be eligible for a PGWP valid for the full length of your program.

For example, if you complete a 1 year study program in 8 months, you may be able to get a PGWP valid for 1 year.

"