+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit holder without job re-entry

korcanqm

May 3, 2017
Hello,

I hold a 3-year post graduate work permit expiring in 2 years.
It has been a year since I have had it but haven't succeeded in landing a job yet.
I am currently visiting my home country for a month and will be returning to Canada soon.
Will there be any trouble re-entering Canada because I have never been employed during the 1 year as a PGWP holder?
If it makes any difference, I have applied for jobs; just haven't had the luck.
I would also be applying for a PR, once I get a job that is.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm assuming you have a valid TRV or ETA. If so - no issue re-entering Canada.

korcanqm

May 3, 2017
scylla said:
Thank you for the answer.
Yes, I am a citizen of a visa-exempt country and have eTA.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
scylla said:
I have similar situation except that I got my 3-year PGWP two months ago. I have applied for a TRV based on it and got it for 3 years also. I am planning to go to my home country for a vacation but maybe I will stay there for more than one year. Will there be any trouble re-entering Canada after more than a year staying outside?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ezio said:
I have similar situation except that I got my 3-year PGWP two months ago. I have applied for a TRV based on it and got it for 3 years also. I am planning to go to my home country for a vacation but maybe I will stay there for more than one year. Will there be any trouble re-entering Canada after more than a year staying outside?
unlikely any issue as long as your passport and TRV /PGWP are still valid. As always the caveat is that as with any temporary residents you will be subject to CBSA clearance on each entry to the country but shouldnt be an issue just not a guarantee.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Bs65 said:
unlikely any issue as long as your passport and TRV /PGWP are still valid. As always the caveat is that as with any temporary residents you will be subject to CBSA clearance on each entry to the country but shouldnt be an issue just not a guarantee.
Thank you for explaining. So what if the CBSA officer asked me why I stayed that long outside and why I'm coming now? should I say that I was on a vacation and I'm coming to look for a job?!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ezio said:
Thank you for explaining. So what if the CBSA officer asked me why I stayed that long outside and why I'm coming now? should I say that I was on a vacation and I'm coming to look for a job?!
just be honest and you should have no issues although as always with CBSA only answer questions asked so dont volunteer the fact you have been away not that it could be an issue just is unecessary to volunteer information.

There are currently no exit records held by CBSA anyway so as long as you have your PGWP and fact you have visa exempt passport try not to over think things as people come and go all the time and you have a legal status with your PGWP.

Last edited:

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
just be honest and you should have no issues although as always with CBSA only answer questions asked so dont volunteer the fact you have been away not that it could be an issue just is unecessary to volunteer information.

There are currently no exit records held by CBSA anyway so as long as you have your PGWP and fact you have visa exempt passport try not to over think things as people come and go all the and you have a legal status with your PGWP.
That sounds good, thank you.

googlyanmol

Mar 8, 2018
I just got my Post graduate work permit. My study visa is only valid till july 2018. I want to visit india in December and come back in one month. Do i need a visa for that if i have the pgwp?

Yodh kaur

Jan 25, 2018
I just got my Post graduate work permit. My study visa is only valid till july 2018. I want to visit india in December and come back in one month. Do i need a visa for that if i have the pgwp?
You will need TRV when you will return from India.