+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit for a Diploma Program

rewill

May 30, 2016
Hi,

I'm moving to Canada next month to study at the Art Institute of Vancouver. It's a full-time Diploma Program for 18 months.
This school is one of the Designated Learning Institutions, but I'm really worried that the Diploma Programs doesn't allow me to apply to the PGWP after I graduate.

Does anyone know if I'll be eligible to apply for the PGWP or not?

If not, would you have any advice about what I could do? Because I really want to be able to work after I graduate to help me in the process of immigrating to Canada.

Thanks!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
rewill said:
Hi,

I'm moving to Canada next month to study at the Art Institute of Vancouver. It's a full-time Diploma Program for 18 months.
This school is one of the Designated Learning Institutions, but I'm really worried that the Diploma Programs doesn't allow me to apply to the PGWP after I graduate.

Does anyone know if I'll be eligible to apply for the PGWP or not?

If not, would you have any advice about what I could do? Because I really want to be able to work after I graduate to help me in the process of immigrating to Canada.

Thanks!
the ART Institute appears to be a private not public college so may not qualify as far as PGWP goes. You will need to check as per this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp. With the college directly whether theh meet the requirements.

The fact is a designated college is different to whether private or public , and fact that is a diploma not an real impact to PGWP or not.

Others can comment as never clear to me how to determine how a private college meets the rules for PGWP.

rewill

May 30, 2016
I can change institutions even if I've already received my study permit, with no need to re-apply, right?

In this case, if I go to Canada, cancel my registration at the Art Institute and look for another school while I'm there, the fact that won't be studying could prevent me from getting a PGWP or renewing my study permit if necessary?

Whitedy_

Star Member
Aug 3, 2017
PH
Category........
Visa Office......
VFS Makati
Med's Done....
06-09-2017
Hi, Any updates on this? I'll be going to the same school and also worried about the PGWP.