+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-Graduate Work Permit Extension

Jo986

Jul 1, 2020
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well given the circumstances.

I am currently PWGP holder with the permit expiring on November 10, 2020.

The timeline of my approval is a follows:
Received graduation confirmation - May 27, 2019
Submitted PGWP application - May 28, 2019
PGWP approval - September 9, 2019
PGWP expiry - November 20, 2020 (Same date as my passport expiry, TRV also due the same day)

From the timeline above, you can see that I was not given the full 3-year permit because of my passport expiry date and I would like to apply for an extension WITH A NEW PASSPORT. My understanding that to extend the PWGP, it has to be paper application. However, I am currently back in my home country (Malaysia) for the time being because of COVID-19 and I am just a little frustrated on the actual process of applying for extension because the IRCC was sending me in circles despite they wrote specifically that the application has to be on paper. But I have seen people applied online and was granted the extension, is this advisable if I am applying outside of Canada? Would that be the same to reapply for the TRV? Again, I emphasize that I am currently back in Malaysia, not in Canada. I just do not want to risk anything to waste time and money.

Thank you very much in advance. Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: baharan91

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Reading through the IRCC site COVID related instructions, I didn't see anywhere that PGWP applications must be paper based (unless you are already in Canada - a section I didn't review because it doesn't match your circumstance.
On the other hand, I did find this:
If you’re eligible to travel to Canada
You must apply online for

• visitor visas (including transit visas)
  • eTAs
  • study permits
  • work permits

Jo986

Jul 1, 2020
Reading through the IRCC site COVID related instructions, I didn't see anywhere that PGWP applications must be paper based (unless you are already in Canada - a section I didn't review because it doesn't match your circumstance.
On the other hand, I did find this:
If you’re eligible to travel to Canada
You must apply online for

• visitor visas (including transit visas)
  • eTAs
  • study permits
  • work permits
My case is an application to EXTEND my PGWP for the full entitlement (was only given 1 year and 2 months because of my passport expiry, need to apply for the remaining 1 year and 8 months). It is not a new application for the permit. I was reading at this link that states the extension has to be done by paper. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend.

baharan91

Jul 15, 2016
My case is an application to EXTEND my PGWP for the full entitlement (was only given 1 year and 2 months because of my passport expiry, need to apply for the remaining 1 year and 8 months). It is not a new application for the permit. I was reading at this link that states the extension has to be done by paper. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/apply.html#extend.
i have the same situation and I'm currently in France. I answered eligibility questions online and then I go imm1295e form to fill while if I would say I'm in Canada i need to send it by paper and fill a different form imm5710e. I'm so confused. Please let me know if you could figure it out. Thank you

eliziebasa

Mar 28, 2020
i have the same situation and I'm currently in France. I answered eligibility questions online and then I go imm1295e form to fill while if I would say I'm in Canada i need to send it by paper and fill a different form imm5710e. I'm so confused. Please let me know if you could figure it out. Thank you
Hey
did you apply the PGWP extension by paper or online ? :)

baharan91

Jul 15, 2016
Hey
did you apply the PGWP extension by paper or online ? :)
Hi! Not yet. But I'm going to take the risk and do it online tomorrow because my PGWP will expire in 30 days! If I do it on paper I have to send it to the VAC office and I called them they were not sure about my case they referred me to Canadian embassy here in France, I've emailed them but they have not answered me! How about you? Are you outside Canada?