+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit (Extension) is it possible?

Mar 20, 2020
Hello,

I have Post Graduate Work Permit PGWP and I am currently working in Toronto. The visa is valid till June 8th of 2020, meanwhile, I will apply for PR too, my CRS score is 450 without my work experience points, after I add my work experience it will come to 480 points. May 25th I will be completing 1 Year but when I called IRCC they mentioned till the Visa date which is June 8th they will officially not consider as 1 year to add on my CRS score.

In this case, do I need to travel back to India before June 8th, apply PR and once approved travel back? or is there any possibility to extend my PGWP visa and continue staying here and do my PR process.

Any opinions or help on this situation would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You.

Reactions: tarun mati

tarun mati

Jul 8, 2019
Hello,

I have Post Graduate Work Permit PGWP and I am currently working in Toronto. The visa is valid till June 8th of 2020, meanwhile, I will apply for PR too, my CRS score is 450 without my work experience points, after I add my work experience it will come to 480 points. May 25th I will be completing 1 Year but when I called IRCC they mentioned till the Visa date which is June 8th they will officially not consider as 1 year to add on my CRS score.

In this case, do I need to travel back to India before June 8th, apply PR and once approved travel back? or is there any possibility to extend my PGWP visa and continue staying here and do my PR process.

Thank You.
Hi, I am sailing in the same boat. I am in an express entry pool and my CRS is 467. My Postgraduate work permit is going to expire in the first week of May, 2020. I tried each and every possibility to raise my CRS score. Unfortunately, there is no date available for IELTS and CELPIP in the month of March and April due to COVID 19. I am interested to extend the work permit in order to maintain the status in Canada. Please, share the information if you have any.

Thank you,
Tarun

Mar 20, 2020
Hi, I am sailing in the same boat. I am in an express entry pool and my CRS is 467. My Postgraduate work permit is going to expire in the first week of May, 2020. I tried each and every possibility to raise my CRS score. Unfortunately, there is no date available for IELTS and CELPIP in the month of March and April due to COVID 19. I am interested to extend the work permit in order to maintain the status in Canada. Please, share the information if you have any.

Thank you,
Tarun
[/QU
Hi, I think you are eligible to apply for BOWP i.e. Bridging Open work permit since your profile is already in EE pool and waiting for the results.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thank You.
You need to get ITA and submit your full application in order to be able to apply for a BOWP and extend your work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am still waiting to get the ITA, I just have an active profile in the CIC express entry pool. Bridge open work permit works when you have an ITA, I guess.
This is correct. You need ITA and AOR to submit a BOWP.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So, what are the options do I have at this point? Can I extend the post-graduate work permit? Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Is your employer willing to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can switch to a closed work permit?

Have you looked into the PNP immigration programs?

tarun mati

Jul 8, 2019
Is your employer willing to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can switch to a closed work permit?

Have you looked into the PNP immigration programs?
I am eligible for the Canadian experience class but still waiting for the invitation. Most of the provinces need a job offer and in the current situation, it's very hard to get a job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am eligible for the Canadian experience class but still waiting for the invitation. Most of the provinces need a job offer and in the current situation, it's very hard to get a job.
I'm not sure that ITA is going to drop as low as 467 in time for you to get ITA before your work permit expires. My guess is that it likely will not.

If not, then your options are getting an LMIA supported job offer or looking at the PNP programs - or leaving Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

Thank You.
Provided you have documentation showing your work started May 25th, 2019 and the experience was gained after you applied for your PGWP, it counts as 1 year as of May 25th, 2020. If you get an ITA, apply and get AOR before June 8th, you can apply for a BOWP.

Mar 20, 2020
Provided you have documentation showing your work started May 25th, 2019 and the experience was gained after you applied for your PGWP, it counts as 1 year as of May 25th, 2020. If you get an ITA, apply and get AOR before June 8th, you can apply for a BOWP.
I called to IRCC they mentioned one year will count on June 8th, they will not considered for may 25th.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I called to IRCC they mentioned one year will count on June 8th, they will not considered for may 25th.
The IRCC call centre gives out wrong information all of the time. As long as the experience was gained after you applied for your PGWP, it counts towards the one year even if you hadn't gotten your PGWP yet.

coolgal

Star Member
Oct 16, 2016
Hello,

Thank You.
Apply for the extension. You’re covered by implied status till you get the decision, but in all likelihood the decision will be a ‘No’.

Once you get picked during the implied status(89day processing online and 139on paper), you can then apply for a bowp I think. These are special times concerning covid 19.

A lawyer can advise you..but it’s possible.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Apply for the extension. You’re covered by implied status till you get the decision, but in all likelihood the decision will be a ‘No’.

Once you get picked during the implied status(89day processing online and 139on paper), you can then apply for a bowp I think. These are special times concerning covid 19.

A lawyer can advise you..but it’s possible.
You need to be holding a valid work permit at the time you apply for a BOWP. Implied status is not sufficient.

Unfortunately no exceptions to this rule have been announced so far.