+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduate work permit delay?

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
Hello, I am on the same boat as you. I applied my post graduation open work permit extension on July, 2017. No update yet, I cant' help but called CIC centre, you can find their phone number at the back of your work permit. The things turned out to be, there is always around 20% of applicants will go over the average processing time and not sure what the percentage will go background check up, which is the file be sent to local office. You can google what does this mean, some people stuck here for a year...

I suggest you call them maybe you are lucky enough that you are approved but they just didn't put that info into the system, which explains why your eTA got extended until dec, 2019.
Thanks for your response. As you can see above in my other reply, I wasn't able to be transferred to an agent. So frustrating. I don't have much time to call them as they only open from 8am to 4pm. :(

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
I just called, and went through the automated status check, which is exactly same as online, so useless. Then I selected to transfer to an agent, and it says too many people's waiting so they can't transfer me. wtf..?? I have to go through the entire process again every time I call them? Is there a way to transfer to agent right away without hearing automated system's status?

What's a Case specific webform?
keep trying, normally 20 calls get 1 chance to wait in line for around 30 minutes

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Thanks for your response. As you can see above in my other reply, I wasn't able to be transferred to an agent. So frustrating. I don't have much time to call them as they only open from 8am to 4pm. :(
You have to call a few times. usually it takes me around 5-8 calls to get into queue. Then have to hold on line till they pick up 35-50 mins.
If i remember correctly, you have to choose options 3-2-0.

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
how is your case? got your work permit in how long?
i just got mine on October 25th, applied on June 6 paper-based. So overall it took 114 days + sending it out (the approval date on WP is Septeber 29).

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
i just got mine on October 25th, applied on June 6 paper-based. So overall it took 114 days + sending it out (the approval date on WP is Septeber 29).
do you know if your file had ever been transferred to local office? May I ask what is your case? You are working currently?

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
do you know if your file had ever been transferred to local office? May I ask what is your case? You are working currently?
I have no idea if it was transferred anywhere or what was going on. I was never able to link it to my Cic account either. I just called them a few times and that's how i was able to find out any information. When it came in the mail, the address of sender was "Case processing centre Vergerville Alberta".
I have been working all this time, before WP expired and continued working on implied status and am working now. All with the same employer.

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
I have no idea if it was transferred anywhere or what was going on. I was never able to link it to my Cic account either. I just called them a few times and that's how i was able to find out any information. When it came in the mail, the address of sender was "Case processing centre Vergerville Alberta".
I have been working all this time, before WP expired and continued working on implied status and am working now. All with the same employer.
So, your are residing and working in Ablert, right? If that is the case, then your file must be transferred to local office, I guess

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
So, your are residing and working in Ablert, right? If that is the case, then your file must be transferred to local office, I guess
Yes I reside in Calgary, AB.
That's where I initially applied. I mean, I applied there and it came from there. I dont know if the file ever went to any other office during the process.

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
That's where I initially applied. I mean, I applied there and it came from there. I dont know if the file ever went to any other office during the process.
I guess this is the standard protocol, cases like us will need further assessment, the place you reside in has a cic centre, then yours are possessed there. My residential place happen not to have such cic centre, then it was transferred to local office. Anyway, it is painful waiting and we could do nothing

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
I just double checked, ab has three centre office, on in Calgary, one in Vegreville, another in Edmonton. As you said you did it by paper Chanel, may I ask which of these three location you initially mailed your application? Cause, if you initially mailed to Calgary office, and it was possessed in Vegreville, then it must be transferred.

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
That's where I initially applied too. I mean, I applied there and it came from there.
I just double checked, ab has three centre office, on in Calgary, one in Vegreville, another in Edmonton. As you said you did it by paper Chanel, may I ask which of these three location you initially mailed your application? Cause, if you initially mailed to Calgary office, and it was possessed in Vegreville, then it must be transferred.
I initially mailed mine to Vegreville.
The other two are offices for appointments, not processing centres.

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
Happy for you, I don't know where they will put me, it is like in an endless dark cycle
I actually called today, same answer, not willing to acclerate my case. I bet the dude who initially post this thread has exactly same situation as me, 99.99999% been transferred to local office,but he is silent those days. I also check other thread on this forum, some people spent raging from 4-7 months when trying to renew work permit, and many of them didn't aware what is happening, no interview, no additional documents required.

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Ca
I initially mailed mine to Vegreville[/QUOT
I actually called today, same answer, not willing to acclerate my case. I bet the dude who initially post this thread has exactly same situation as me, 99.99999% been transferred to local office,but he is silent those days. I also check other thread on this forum, some people spent raging from 4-7 months when trying to renew work permit, and many of them didn't aware what is happening, no interview, no additional documents required.
I completely understand you as I went through the same situation. Our only option is just be patient, one day your new WP will show up in your mailbox like it happened to all of us. I wish you all the best!!