+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post graduate work permit delay?

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
Hi all,

I applied for an extension for my PGWP because I didn't get full 3 years before due to my passport validity. After I renewed my passport, I applied for an extension for the work permit on July 22, 2017. When I check the processing time page of IRCC website, it says 80 days, and it is stuck for some time saying they are working on July 17, 2017 applications. It's definitely been way more than 80 days.

Anyone also in my situation?

BTW, I applied for extension by applying as a new PGWP, but wrote an explanation letter saying this is an extension as my passport was expiring before, and now I have a new passport.

Thanks.

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
Hi all,

I applied for an extension for my PGWP because I didn't get full 3 years before due to my passport validity. After I renewed my passport, I applied for an extension for the work permit on July 22, 2017. When I check the processing time page of IRCC website, it says 80 days, and it is stuck for some time saying they are working on July 17, 2017 applications. It's definitely been way more than 80 days.

BTW, I applied for extension by applying as a new PGWP, but wrote an explanation letter saying this is an extension as my passport was expiring before, and now I have a new passport.

Thanks.
My cousin just got her PGWP few days ago (initial), she applied online on on July 7. Yours is probably coming within next few days hopefully.

Just for your reference - i was waiting for my work permit for 5 months. I got it yesterday in the mail, on October 24. The effective date on it is September 29!!! So it also takes almost a whole month for them just to mail it apparently!

All the best to you!!

Jaymin007

Oct 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My cousin just got her PGWP few days ago (initial), she applied online on on July 7. Yours is probably coming within next few days hopefully.

Just for your reference - i was waiting for my work permit for 5 months. I got it yesterday in the mail, on October 24. The effective date on it is September 29!!! So it also takes almost a whole month for them just to mail it apparently!

All the best to you!!
i have applied on sept 20th so i guess i still have to wait long time to get my PGWP. however, we both have same ITA july 12, AOR- July 24, MEd- Aug 29, NA2- Sept 12. Most of July applicants got updated to ip2 or got ppr so do you think sending new passport copy and applying for PGWP delaying my PR application? wht does ur BG status says ?

Jaymin007

Oct 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Thanks.
did u apply online or paper based? bcz if u applied for an extension then u would have applied through paper-based if I am not wrong. For paper-based, they are working on June 22, 2017, application (105 days ).

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
i have applied on sept 20th so i guess i still have to wait long time to get my PGWP. however, we both have same ITA july 12, AOR- July 24, MEd- Aug 29, NA2- Sept 12. Most of July applicants got updated to ip2 or got ppr so do you think sending new passport copy and applying for PGWP delaying my PR application? wht does ur BG status says ?
My BG says "We are processing your background check" since September 8, the day when I passed medicals.
I believe PR application and PGWP application are two separate processes and should not affect each other.

I applied for work permit on paper, mine was Bridging tho. Processing time at the moment was 118 days for paper-based, I waited 114 days.

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012

All the best to you!!
Hey thanks for your response! I am waiting for my PGWP extension, and once I have this extended work permit I will submit my PR application, as I got ITA for EE already, and now I have about 30 days left to submit. I have everything ready, including medical exam. I just need an extended work permit. It is supposed to be until mid 2019.

I checked the processing time again today, and now it says they are working on apps from Aug 5! Before it was July 17, and I applied on July 22. I didn't hear back anything, and they are now working on August applications. I'm getting really worried.

Another thing weird is that I received an email a few weeks ago that my eTA got extended until 2019 Dec 31 "according to my work permit". But I didn't hear back anything about the work permit. I'm so confused.

Maybe I should just submit the PR application with my current work permit? It expires in 2017 Dec 31. Or better to wait till I get the extended work permit because I still have about 30 days left for my PR application deadline?

Any advice is welcome guys.

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
Hey thanks for your response! I am waiting for my PGWP extension, and once I have this extended work permit I will submit my PR application, as I got ITA for EE already, and now I have about 30 days left to submit. I have everything ready, including medical exam. I just need an extended work permit. It is supposed to be until mid 2019.

I checked the processing time again today, and now it says they are working on apps from Aug 5! Before it was July 17, and I applied on July 22. I didn't hear back anything, and they are now working on August applications. I'm getting really worried.

Another thing weird is that I received an email a few weeks ago that my eTA got extended until 2019 Dec 31 "according to my work permit". But I didn't hear back anything about the work permit. I'm so confused.

Maybe I should just submit the PR application with my current work permit? It expires in 2017 Dec 31. Or better to wait till I get the extended work permit because I still have about 30 days left for my PR application deadline?

Hello, I am on the same boat as you. I applied my post graduation open work permit extension on July, 2017. No update yet, I cant' help but called CIC centre, you can find their phone number at the back of your work permit. The things turned out to be, there is always around 20% of applicants will go over the average processing time and not sure what the percentage will go background check up, which is the file be sent to local office. You can google what does this mean, some people stuck here for a year...

I suggest you call them maybe you are lucky enough that you are approved but they just didn't put that info into the system, which explains why your eTA got extended until dec, 2019.

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
if your file was sent to local office, it may take up to 3 months for processing, which is another round of waiting. Once, the decision is made by local office, your application will be reviewed again by cic centre, do you see the time costing here?

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017

Have you tried calling them? The agents probably will be able to help you understand what's going on.

If I were you, I would probably applied for PR right now. What's the point of waiting? Whenever you get your extension, you can just send it to them thru Case specific webform.

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
Have you tried calling them? The agents probably will be able to help you understand what's going on.

If I were you, I would probably applied for PR right now. What's the point of waiting? Whenever you get your extension, you can just send it to them thru Case specific webform.
I called and told u the result, see the result above, I am wondering if you can also call if you are still under check up in local office or they just approved you.

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
I called and told u the result, see the result above, I am wondering if you can also call if you are still under check up in local office or they just approved you.
What do you mean by Local office? If you are applying inland, it is usually processed in Vergerville, AB I believe.

samtomas0808

Nov 1, 2017
What do you mean by Local office? If you are applying inland, it is usually processed in Vergerville, AB I believe.
if your case exceed average time, normally your file will be transferred to local office for background check, you can find this on CIC website

Irada_G

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-08-2017
if your case exceed average time, normally your file will be transferred to local office for background check, you can find this on CIC website
Ohh i see. Sorry, no clue about this...

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012

I just called, and went through the automated status check, which is exactly same as online, so useless. Then I selected to transfer to an agent, and it says too many people's waiting so they can't transfer me. wtf..?? I have to go through the entire process again every time I call them? Is there a way to transfer to agent right away without hearing automated system's status?

What's a Case specific webform?