+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit Delay (Need to Travel)

peajly

Oct 20, 2015
Hello,

I applied for my post graduate work permit (PGWP) on May 7, 2015. The processing time for the document has past and I have still have not received any notification from the CIC. When I called CIC I was informed that the delay was caused by my failure to pay the open work permit holder fee along when I submitted my application. Please note that I received a message from the CIC to pay for my permit holder fee on August 24, 2015 and I paid and submitted the receipt on the same day. The CIC representatives have told me that they cannot give me a time frame as to when they will begin to process my application or when I will I will get an update. This however is restrictive to both my work and travel plans as I would like to travel to my home country for the Christmas holidays and my job requires me to travel to the USA.

Has any one experienced/is experiencing something similar? Do you know how long it will take to have my document processed?

Any help would me much appreciated! Thanks.

frustrated121

Oct 22, 2015
I applied for my work permit on the 6th of May and I have yet to receive any word on it. I too submitted the $100 fee for an open work permit the day they asked for it. I've called CIC agents a number of times and they are really all over the place and sound confused. No one really told me that the delay is because they haven't received the proof of my $100 fee. I submitted it and I have proof. They just said its out of the ordinary and that they will send the visa office a "message"...

Let me ask you this since we are in the same boat. When you log into your CIC account and click on view applications status and messages. Do you see - "Review of submitted documents" and "Provided" next to it?

I understand your frustration completely. It is so hard to believe that a developed, progressive and beautiful country such as Canada has such an inefficient system in processing our work permits.

vrahulan

Star Member
Apr 19, 2015
Hi,
If you check the processing time on CIC it says applications files on June 5, 2015 are being processed.

http : // www . cic . gc . ca/english/information/times/temp . asp

I suggest you call CIC and check on the status of your application.

gn02090867

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Have you guys heard anything back yet?

Same here. Submitted on May 15, got an email to pay for additional fee in mid September. Nothing since fee is paid.
Called CIC, was told application is under review, nothing I can do at the moment except wait.

I was told that implied status can allow me to reenter Canada if work permit is still under review when I leave Canada.
But there is no guarantee for everything.

8Hannah8

Star Member
Oct 24, 2015
gn02090867 said:
Have you guys heard anything back yet?

Same here. Submitted on May 15, got an email to pay for additional fee in mid September. Nothing since fee is paid.
Called CIC, was told application is under review, nothing I can do at the moment except wait.

I was told that implied status can allow me to reenter Canada if work permit is still under review when I leave Canada.
But there is no guarantee for everything.
Implied Status and Travelling Outside Canada
A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may:

be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are TRV exempt as per R190 or on a multiple-entry visa.

They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. For those not able to resume work, they must satisfy the BSO that they have sufficient means of support. (Note that this applies to foreign nationals who are TRV exempt as per R190(3)(f) and to those on multiple-entry visas.)

be allowed to apply for a new work or study permit at the port of entry provided they have a right to do so under the Regulations.

My story: I applied for my work permit a day before pgwp was to expire. In 89 days I received my bridging work permit. The irony of this story that I didn't know my bridging permit was approved so I landed on the last day of my implied status :) Not complaining though, CIC was more than nice and considerate to me, so I am very thankful for that.

PS: I applied on paper

memehn

Oct 29, 2015
:mad: :(I m in the same situation like you...and i even didn't get the notification to pay the additional $100...My application was on May15...I don't know what can we do except waiting...also I wonder if we can withdraw our application to reapply??Any idea guys?

gn02090867

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
8Hannah8 said:
Implied Status and Travelling Outside Canada
A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may:

be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are TRV exempt as per R190 or on a multiple-entry visa.

They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. For those not able to resume work, they must satisfy the BSO that they have sufficient means of support. (Note that this applies to foreign nationals who are TRV exempt as per R190(3)(f) and to those on multiple-entry visas.)

be allowed to apply for a new work or study permit at the port of entry provided they have a right to do so under the Regulations.

My story: I applied for my work permit a day before pgwp was to expire. In 89 days I received my bridging work permit. The irony of this story that I didn't know my bridging permit was approved so I landed on the last day of my implied status :) Not complaining though, CIC was more than nice and considerate to me, so I am very thankful for that.

PS: I applied on paper

Should have applied through paper. So i guess if I successfully re-enter Canada, I would be able to work/study until application is approved? That's bad news for whoever needs to travel while waiting for approval.

gn02090867

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
memehn said:
:mad: :(I m in the same situation like you...and i even didn't get the notification to pay the additional $100...My application was on May15...I don't know what can we do except waiting...also I wonder if we can withdraw our application to reapply??Any idea guys?
I think the best you can do now is to reach out to them.