+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit and Passport Expiry (URGENT)

Blueuniverse

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Toronto/Scarborough
I recently graduated from an 8 month course from a college in Canada and before that did Masters in University for an year. Having two courses done in Canada I wanted to apply for a PGWP but realized that my Indian passport is just valid for the next two years (2021). I have a hope that I might get a 3-year work permit, saying that should I renew my passport before applying for the work permit.

My Study permit is valid for 90 days from now (I already have the completion letter) and the Indian passport renewal office (BLS) said that it would take 3-4 weeks to get my passport renewed provided I provide a cover letter stating that my work ermit validity might be shortened due to the validity of my passport. Should I take the risk and apply for passport renewal first and then apply for pgwp or should I just continue with my pgwp application and hope they ask me to renew my work permit later on.

Which is a smarter and better way?

Last edited:

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
It's totally up to you to figure out a smarter way. You are allowed to get your work permit extended if your work permit was issued for a shorter period of time due to the validity of your passport. It clearly says so on the official website, so there's no point in panicking. Given that you get your work permit until the expiration date of passport and instruction along with it to extend it once you get your new passport, you should be good. As per the new rules, I believe you have 180 days to apply for PGWP and you don't have to have a valid study permit when you apply for it. Please check the website for the rule changes. Take this with a grain of salt. Don't rely solely on what I wrote.

Blueuniverse

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Toronto/Scarborough
It's totally up to you to figure out a smarter way. You are allowed to get your work permit extended if your work permit was issued for a shorter period of time due to the validity of your passport. It clearly says so on the official website, so there's no point in panicking. Given that you get your work permit until the expiration date of passport and instruction along with it to extend it once you get your new passport, you should be good. As per the new rules, I believe you have 180 days to apply for PGWP and you don't have to have a valid study permit when you apply for it. Please check the website for the rule changes. Take this with a grain of salt. Don't rely solely on what I wrote.
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I did check the instructions for PGWP extension and it says that You can apply for extension only if we tell you to do so. So, I am not sure if they will give an instruction or not. The extension to apply for PGWP has increased to 180 days but I guess you need to have some valid status in Canada after your study permit expires to stay in Canada and submit the PGWP application. I just want to be on the safe side of things so might first renew my passport before applying for a pgwp and hope I don't face any delays in that application.

Thanks again!

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I did check the instructions for PGWP extension and it says that You can apply for extension only if we tell you to do so. So, I am not sure if they will give an instruction or not. The extension to apply for PGWP has increased to 180 days but I guess you need to have some valid status in Canada after your study permit expires to stay in Canada and submit the PGWP application. I just want to be on the safe side of things so might first renew my passport before applying for a pgwp and hope I don't face any delays in that application.

Thanks again!
Here's the thing, if they think you are entitled to a 3-year work permit, they will let you know by asking you to apply/extend with a new passport. Since you indicated that you have finished a master's degree, you are more likely to get a 3-year work permit. Right now, applying for the PGWP is your best bet as you can't be playing it too safe and end up in a worse situation. Again, this is just my personal opinion but If I were you, I would apply for the PGWP right away.

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I did check the instructions for PGWP extension and it says that You can apply for extension only if we tell you to do so. So, I am not sure if they will give an instruction or not.
That's exactly what I meant in my first reply. They will tell you to apply for an extension if you are eligible for a 3-year work permit. Good luck!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I recently graduated from an 8 month course from a college in Canada and before that did Masters in University for an year. Having two courses done in Canada I wanted to apply for a PGWP but realized that my Indian passport is just valid for the next two years (2021). I have a hope that I might get a 3-year work permit, saying that should I renew my passport before applying for the work permit.

My Study permit is valid for 90 days from now (I already have the completion letter) and the Indian passport renewal office (BLS) said that it would take 3-4 weeks to get my passport renewed provided I provide a cover letter stating that my work ermit validity might be shortened due to the validity of my passport. Should I take the risk and apply for passport renewal first and then apply for pgwp or should I just continue with my pgwp application and hope they ask me to renew my work permit later on.

Which is a smarter and better way?
so just to clarify you completed a masters in one year followed by an 8 month course total 20 months hence a 20 month PGWP. Unless I missed something or either course was in accelerated form then based on the guidelines you need 2 courses totalling 2 years or more to get a 3 year PGWP.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html

Nov 8, 2019
Plz anyone tell my I have done my study of 2 years. I applied pgwp in 8 june but due to my passport expired I got 4 month pgwp till 10 January 2020.recently I renew my passport now.plz anyone tell me next process extension of of pgwp ?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019
Plz anyone tell my I have done my study of 2 years. I applied pgwp in 8 june but due to my passport expired I got 4 month pgwp till 10 January 2020.recently I renew my passport now.plz anyone tell me next process extension of of pgwp ?

yammanuruarun

Sep 1, 2019
India
Check https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend.html if this helps.

https://www.maxcanvisa.com/blog/2018/03/25/passport-expires-before-work-permit/

Hope you already applied by now. All the best!!!

Last edited: