+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Work Permit and EE

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Hi All,

Since I didn't find any topic for Post Graduate Work permit holders , I'll like to open a discussion on it. Hope someone can clarify some of the questions:

1) The biggest question is obtaining a Job Offer letter: For a PGWP holder, what does it mean? The work permit is an open work permit which is LMIA-exempted under the IMP program but after reading through the rules of EE, the rules kept emphasizing on "Job offer supported by an Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada ". Can anyone interpret this whether one needs LMIA or not?

2) The second biggest issue worrying me is this line :
If the position or person was previously exempt from an LMIA, then a new LMIA will be required under Express Entry. Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp
Granted that this clause applies to candidates applying under FSW, I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Thanks,
Kvn

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Employers need to provide a job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment, if the employer wishes to extend a permanent job offer ( an offer of arranged employment ) under the Express Entry system

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
msajmani said:
I just Spoke to CIC ... PGWP is an LMIA exempt work permit.... We can apply under EE provided we have full time regular pemanent job offer falling under NOC O A B Category...

Happy!!
@msajmani: I believe if you are going to apply to fsw under your valid work permit you are allowed to use the job offer without LMIA. However, if you wish to extend your job and work after FEB 2015, then you would need to have an LMIA assessed .

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
wilson said:
Employers need to provide a job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment, if the employer wishes to extend a permanent job offer ( an offer of arranged employment ) under the Express Entry system
Hi Wilson,

Does this apply to new and current graduate permit holders? I understand that it's required to have an LMIA if the permit is expiring and the employer wishes to extend it past the expiry date but I'm not sure about new or current holders.

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
msajmani said:
exactly KVN.... but i m keeping my fingers crossed that I can get ITA before my work permit expires...

I have uploaded my marks for Express Entry on the other forum... it is coming to 1048 out of 1200.. do u think i will get an ITA.??
Really? Are you asking on this forum if you get an invitation? hahaha

kainthsimranjit

Dec 1, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missisauga / CPC - Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
Hi

I have a PGWP and currently working with a company in Calgary. My job is valid till September, 2016. It is a full time job. Would I be eligible for points under Arranged Employment.

kainthsimranjit

Dec 1, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Missisauga / CPC - Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017
If I can get a letter like this "We agree to grant XYZ full time permanent job offer subject to he becoming a permanent Residence" will that work.

susana

Nov 4, 2008
msajmani said:
exactly KVN.... but i m keeping my fingers crossed that I can get ITA before my work permit expires...

I have uploaded my marks for Express Entry on the other forum... it is coming to 1048 out of 1200.. do u think i will get an ITA.??
If you qualify now as FSW, why you don't submit your application ? CIC call center agents are not immigration officers, the ministerial instructions are clear, you need a job offer with a positive LMIA. Read the Q&A section.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
Folks this is very unfortunate. For the new system they say If the position or person was previously exempt from an LMIA, then a new LMIA will be required under Express Entry. When you get your LMIA, it will have an associated number that you will need to give to your Express Entry candidate.

Source:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp

janeloveeasy

Star Member
Aug 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
."" Do I need a job offer to get into the Express Entry pool?

If you meet the criteria of one of the economic immigration programs subject to Express Entry, you will be accepted into the Express Entry pool. A job offer supported by an Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada is a significant asset, but not a requirement.""

even tho they did not mention any about PGWP holders, but having LMIA is better than not.
I think if you actually get ITA, it will under CEC program that does not required LMIA, but again, with LMIA is an asset. :T

There is no guarantee, but you can try! LIKE Gambling!

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
se7en said:
Folks this is very unfortunate. For the new system they say If the position or person was previously exempt from an LMIA, then a new LMIA will be required under Express Entry. When you get your LMIA, it will have an associated number that you will need to give to your Express Entry candidate.

Source:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/offers.asp
I just noticed this page, is under the FSW stream section. Of course LMIA is needed if the application is for FSW.

how about applicants currently under PGWP who are going to CEC stream? I believe most PGWP people are going after the CEC path, am I right?

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
mf4361 said:
I just noticed this page, is under the FSW stream section. Of course LMIA is needed if the application is for FSW.

how about applicants currently under PGWP who are going to CEC stream? I believe most PGWP people are going after the CEC path, am I right?
All PGWP holders need to get LMIA if they want to be selected from the CEC pool to apply for PR! LMIA is not mandatory, BUT you may be floating in that pool and never get selected. This is a new reality guys. I hope less students will come to Canada next year and this will be a good lesson for the government.

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
mf4361 said:

Ok, think the posts are confusing Express Entry and FSW or CEC requirements. I believe this is the question we are trying to figure out for PGWP holders:

Do we need an LMIA-approved job offer to be eligible for the 600 points?

The PGWP certainly exempts us from getting a job offer without the need for an lmia first but whether that non-lmia job offer qualifies for the EE 600 points remains to be seen or not.

Reading through the rules, I still haven't seen anything mentioned specific to PGWP holders, but I'm already leaning towards the assumption that the requirements would cover everyone. (bad for us).

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
kvn said:
Ok, think the posts are confusing Express Entry and FSW or CEC requirements. I believe this is the question we are trying to figure out for PGWP holders:

Do we need an LMIA-approved job offer to be eligible for the 600 points?

The PGWP certainly exempts us from getting a job offer without the need for an lmia first but whether that non-lmia job offer qualifies for the EE 600 points remains to be seen or not.

Reading through the rules, I still haven't seen anything mentioned specific to PGWP holders, but I'm already leaning towards the assumption that the requirements would cover everyone. (bad for us).
Read my post above... With one year work experience and English, we will be able to get into the CEC pool and then they will pick applicants with the highest scores..And if you get LMIA, then it adds 600 points to your score and an immediate invitation to apply for PR.

se7en

Apr 20, 2011
Now the question is how employers will react to this change. What will happen to those employes who are already working on PGWP. Most of the big and medium sized companies in Canada are staying away from this hassel even though there will be no fee for EE oriented LMIA but still there would be paper work involved which companies dont like to do.