+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Graduate Certificate after 17 years of experience

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Hi,

What are the chances of being approved for a student visa if you take up a Post Graduate Certificate course after 17 years of work experience and a Bachelor of Science degree? Thanks.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi,

What are the chances of being approved for a student visa if you take up a Post Graduate Certificate course after 17 years of work experience and a Bachelor of Science degree? Thanks.
I will say very low. Going by your level of previous education and years of experience, if your plan is to get a PR. It will be better to consider the economic class i.e EE or Provincial and others. The gap in your education, will raise many doubts and make it hard to convince the Immigration staff of your true intention of wanting to come to Canada. In addition, I believe most student consider PgDip for some academic reasons. As a Bachelor holder, the next step should have been an MSc.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
I will say very low. Going by your level of previous education and years of experience, if your plan is to get a PR. It will be better to consider the economic class i.e EE or Provincial and others. The gap in your education, will raise many doubts and make it hard to convince the Immigration staff of your true intention of wanting to come to Canada. In addition, I believe most student consider PgDip for some academic reasons. As a Bachelor holder, the next step should have been an MSc.
Thank you for your response. Regarding EE/PNP, my dilemma is that my CRS is below 400, and my occupation is not considered in-demand (writer) in most provinces. :(

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Thank you for your response. Regarding EE/PNP, my dilemma is that my CRS is below 400, and my occupation is not considered in-demand (writer) in most provinces. :(
So you're using a study permit to stay in Canada on a permanent basis? Thats more a reason that your study permit will be denied

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Assuming you're in the education sector or you've passion for it, I will suggest going for MSc (research), depending on your age, and other factors. Especially, if your 17 years experience relate to education and you're able to meet the requirement and write a persuasive LOE and SOP.

eagerly

Star Member
Sep 24, 2019
Assuming you're in the education sector or you've passion for it, I will suggest going for MSc (research), depending on your age, and other factors. Especially, if your 17 years experience relate to education and you're able to meet the requirement and write a persuasive LOE and SOP.
Thank you. I'm not from the education sector - I work as a web content writer. I'm 39 years old, and most of my 17 years of experience were as a writer for digital and print media.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
I believe you can work on your score. You can retake your IELTS, learn French as a second language, take additional academic study and if married your spouse may give you more points or she can apply as principal applicant. There should be a way out.

Reactions: eagerly