+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-grad work permit start date is after job start date

cguru

Dec 16, 2014
Hello,

I was in the middle of filling out my PR application and realized that the official start date of my post-graduate work permit is 2013-12-09 (YYYY-MM-DD) and the start date of my job was 2013-07-28 (YYYY-MM-DD). Now I'm pretty sure that any experience that I gained before 2013-12-09 does not count towards my post-graduate work experience but I was wondering if the fact that I started work before the official start date of my permit would cause problems with the application.

I have had a SIN no. since my early days of university because I had to work co-op terms as part of my program. This is why I never noticed this difference. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks!

cguru

Dec 16, 2014
I do have one year experience since the Date of Issue on my PGWP. Just wondering if the fact that I worked before the issue date (and that my employment letter lists this) is going to be a problem?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you worked before the PGWP start date and didn't have proper authorization to work, yes, it's going to be a problem.

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
hey Gguru, As you know one year experience on PGWP consider toward CEC but I believe your question is you start working before issue of your PGWP rite?

Many student face same problem like so here is the answer after some research online and on this forum.

If you had OCWP (off campus work permit) during your study which allow you to work for 20 hours in a week and 40 hours during semester off or vacations. you should know OCWP can be used as full time work permit after you graduate from school but you have to apply your PGWP before your OCWP get expired ( Means before your status expire) then you are allowed to continue working until decision is made on your PGWP even your OCWP get expired.

So lets say, you had study permit and OCWP expiry date june 15, 2012 but you applied your PGWP on june 4 2012 then you are allowed to work after june 15 because you will be under implied status.

Note: If you didnt had OCWP then you are not allowed to work even you applied your PGWP until you can your work permit in hand. because implied status doesn't apply when you submit application of different kind of permit. which means you were changing your status from student to work and you didnt had any kind of work permit during study.

Good luck,

cguru

Dec 16, 2014
Thanks for all the answers guys. I had my OCWP that was valid until July 30, 2013 and I applied for my PGWP before that expired. When I accepted my job offer, I had not received my PGWP but received it a few days before my start date (July 28, 2013). I have no idea why Immigration Canada put the Date of Issue on my PGWP as Dec. 9, 2013. I definitely don't intend on using the time of employment before Dec 9, 2013 as part of my work experience requirement, so that is not an issue for me. I had a valid SIN no. through this whole time as well.

If this is going to be an issue then what steps do I need to take to rectify the matter?

EDIT:
jsm0085 said:
If you worked before the PGWP start date and didn't have proper authorization to work, yes, it's going to be a problem.
@jsm0085
Can you please explain what requirement this violates and what steps I need to take going forward?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Lesson learned - if there are errors on your work permit, don't let it slide, get it corrected! (or, maybe it's not an error, but it would have helped to find out the reason - e.g. - Perhaps your graduation date was much later than your program completion date?)

Do you have any proof of when you submitted the PGWP application? And of when you received the PGWP?

In the past, CIC has tended to simply discount the work experience prior to being authorized. They won't throw out the whole application. It's possible they request an explanation, which is why I asked what you can document/prove. But long lags in getting PGWPs are not that unusual, and as long as you can prove you applied before the OCWP expired, you were considered on "implied status" and I don't think it will be a major issue.

cguru

Dec 16, 2014
Yea I definitely should have followed up with them about the Date of Issue on my PGWP. I got my offer letter and kinda just forgot about the work permit. I just made sure it arrived in the mail and that the expiry date was in 2016. My graduation date was in July and my term ended in April. Perhaps that's why the Date of Issue was messed up. I have a myCIC account that tracks information on the online application which I could possibly use for proof.

@jes_ON Do you think it is worth it to try and contact CIC and explain my situation to them or is that going to make things worse? I've heard of other cases (friends and friends of friends) where the dates didn't matter too much in the PR application as long as there was one year of experience from the date on the PGWP. I'm just trying to cover all my bases.

retwant

Dec 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cguru said:
Yea I definitely should have followed up with them about the Date of Issue on my PGWP. I got my offer letter and kinda just forgot about the work permit. I just made sure it arrived in the mail and that the expiry date was in 2016. My graduation date was in July and my term ended in April. Perhaps that's why the Date of Issue was messed up. I have a myCIC account that tracks information on the online application which I could possibly use for proof.

@ jes_ON Do you think it is worth it to try and contact CIC and explain my situation to them or is that going to make things worse? I've heard of other cases (friends and friends of friends) where the dates didn't matter too much in the PR application as long as there was one year of experience from the date on the PGWP. I'm just trying to cover all my bases.
I heard a case similar like yours long time ago, and his/her application went fine. If you haven't violate any immigration rules, you don't need to stir the pot and contact CIC. Instead of helping yourself and them, you might create confusions instead. You can provide the proof later on after they inquired.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
retwant said:
I heard a case similar like yours long time ago, and his/her application went fine. If you haven't violate any immigration rules, you don't need to stir the pot and contact CIC. Instead of helping yourself and them, you might create confusions instead. You can provide the proof later on after they inquired.
Agree 100% - Based on the info you've provided so far, I don't think any explanation is necessary, unless they ask -

but it's good to make sure you have the documents/proof to back up your story, in case they do ask -

cecj

Star Member
Nov 4, 2014
you can work under implied status and that definitely comes under 1 year experience for sure

cguru

Dec 16, 2014
Thanks for all the replies guys! I think I'm going to go ahead and submit my application. I'll post back here with my experience so that others can see the result in the future.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
As long as u worked under valid OCWP and u can show the date of joining was after the date of graduation then you should be fine :)..

P.S. Date of graduation is not the convocation date necessarily.. if you got a letter of graduation confirmation from your univ/college then u r fine

damasele

Apr 15, 2013
cguru said:
I do have one year experience since the Date of Issue on my PGWP. Just wondering if the fact that I worked before the issue date (and that my employment letter lists this) is going to be a problem?
If you had a student work permit it will not be a problem because you are allowed to work full time during summer vacations and part time during school. However if you did not have a student work permit, it will be a problem for sure.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
damasele said:
If you had a student work permit it will not be a problem because you are allowed to work full time during summer vacations and part time during school. However if you did not have a student work permit, it will be a problem for sure.
Not just study permit but also off campus work permit is required to work during vacations