+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post-grad Work permit expiry

ZiyodaSh

Sep 28, 2017
Hi guys,
I'm a little concerned about my current situation. My post grad work permit expires this August. I am in the process of applying for PR but haven't even submitted my application yet because I'm waiting for documents from WES. I am currently working a part time job (coffee shop kind) and since obtaining my PGWP only did part time jobs as I am still unable to find full time office work that suits my academic background.

My question is if I receive an ITA before the expiry of permit, how do I apply to stay in Canada?
If I don't receive an ITA, is there any way of extending the open work permit even if you're unemployed? \

Many thanks!!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I know there is no way of extending your PGWP unless you had an issue with passport expiry when you started (full length of PGWP was only up to passport expiry date). You can try and find an employer will to get an LMIA for you, but this will most likely be refused if it is an office or coffee type job you applied for.
Can you go back to studying? Is that an option for you?

ZiyodaSh

Sep 28, 2017
Is employer getting an LMIA for you the only way of permit extension? I've read that if you are in the process of receiving a PR after ITA documents submission you can apply for open bridge work permit. Does this entail the employers' involvement in LMIA as well?
Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a plan B Apply to extend your stay as a visitor within 30 days of your PGWP expiry. You will still have to stop working when your PGWP expires but at least you can stay until a decision is made on the visitor extension.

ZiyodaSh

Sep 28, 2017
As a plan B Apply to extend your stay as a visitor within 30 days of your PGWP expiry. You will still have to stop working when your PGWP expires but at least you can stay until a decision is made on the visitor extension.
And that seems the best way to go with should my PR be in progress of approval after receiving an ITA. I know the timeframe for getting a PR differs from person to person. But what would you say the average period would be? Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
And that seems the best way to go with should my PR be in progress of approval after receiving an ITA. I know the timeframe for getting a PR differs from person to person. But what would you say the average period would be? Thank you!
Around six months.