+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Grad. Work permit application and study permit expiry question

mr_water

Sep 17, 2018
Hi,

I entered Canada as an international student studying in a DLI in New Brunswick. After 2 years I transferred to a DLI in Montreal, Quebec. I recently graduated from that institution, and I had a question about my work permit application.

My study permit and CAQ were set to expire on 31st August. I was not aware previously that one's study permit has to be valid before applying for the PGWP as that rule had slipped out of my mind. I was previously aiming to graduate in May of 2018 but certain circumstances pushed my graduation date further.

I managed to get my letter of completion from the institution on 31st August, 5 pm EST. I sent out my application for the PGWP at about 9 pm. (I was told that if I applied before midnight, I should be in the clear). However, the CIC system told me that it had received my application on 1st september. Keeping in mind that my documents expired on the 31st and the system shows 1st sep as the date it was received, does that mean I am in trouble here?

I tried to explain as much as I could in my letter of explanation, sent out a technical error request where I showed proof of having paid with my credit card on the 31st, and also a web form where I did the same. Would appreciate some input on this, specially from those who might have been in the same situation.

Thanks,
mr water

Stressedgirl

Star Member
Oct 13, 2015
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I entered Canada as an international student studying in a DLI in New Brunswick. After 2 years I transferred to a DLI in Montreal, Quebec. I recently graduated from that institution, and I had a question about my work permit application.

My study permit and CAQ were set to expire on 31st August. I was not aware previously that one's study permit has to be valid before applying for the PGWP as that rule had slipped out of my mind. I was previously aiming to graduate in May of 2018 but certain circumstances pushed my graduation date further.

I managed to get my letter of completion from the institution on 31st August, 5 pm EST. I sent out my application for the PGWP at about 9 pm. (I was told that if I applied before midnight, I should be in the clear). However, the CIC system told me that it had received my application on 1st september. Keeping in mind that my documents expired on the 31st and the system shows 1st sep as the date it was received, does that mean I am in trouble here?

I tried to explain as much as I could in my letter of explanation, sent out a technical error request where I showed proof of having paid with my credit card on the 31st, and also a web form where I did the same. Would appreciate some input on this, specially from those who might have been in the same situation.

Thanks,
mr water
Hi. Did you hear back? Got your work permit?

mr_water

Sep 17, 2018
Not yet. I contacted CIC to further confirm that I had sent out the application on the 31st by showing them when the payment for the application was made from my bank account and all that. One of the officers got back to me saying they were pleased to inform me that 'everything seemed to be in order with the application' which I take to be a positive sign. Besides that I'm still in wait.

zziej

Apr 14, 2021
Hi how's your pgwp application? I am having the same issue. Did u get your pgwp successful Ly without status restoration