+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post degree program and PGWP- is it the best way to immigrate

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Hello everybody,
I need your advice, I am sorry if I do not post my question under proper stream.

I have son in law, who lives oversea. He is 27 years old, graduated from university in 2013 (Bachelor of Philology-speaks three languages), has two years of experience (NOC B). He is single and dating now, his girlfriend is divorced an has a son (8 years). They are not married but thinking of it.

Preliminary he has 67 points under Federal Skills Worker Program, but does not have enough points for ITA under EE.

My husband (his farther) and myself are in BC. We all are looking for the best option for him to immigrate. Kindly advise if the scenarios we found are working scenarios as I think we might be very optimistic and probably missing some negative issues that could impact our setups:

So, here is our thoughts:
He thinks to apply for post degree program in hospitality management (one year). Hopefully, after graduation he gets PGWP (one year). His girlfriend (or spouse by then) will get open work permit and will be able to work during his stay in Canada for 2 years (one year of his post degree program and one year of his PGWP). In a meantime, she will try to obtain a semi-skilled job in hospitality in BC North East Development Region.

Her kid of 8 years old, does not require a study permit as his parents have valid study and work permit, so he can study with no problem in elementary school.

Then options for immigration for my son in law:
He could apply under Canadian Experience Class after he graduated and gets a Canadian experience under PGWP (he needs one year of Canadian experience),
He could apply under Federal Skilled Immigration and gets more points for the second degree and his and his wife’s Canadian experience then
He could apply under BC PNP International Graduate if he is lucky to obtain a job offer (with LMIA) after he graduates
His spouse could apply under BC PNP as semi skilled worker with experience in hospitality (that is required 9 months of consecutive experience in BC North East Development Region)

Another option:

He could come a visitor and then extend his stay and get a work permit under LMIA (if he is lucky to get a semi skilled position in hospitality area in BC North East Development Region) and the apply under BC PNP as semi skilled worker.

Thank you everybody for your help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
A one year program is a bad plan and will decrease his chances of successfully obtaining PR. He should take at least a 2 year program so that he qualifies for a three year PGWP. Note that there's no guarantee his girlfriend/spouse will be approved for an OWP either during his studies or afterwards once he has a PGWP (although she will certainly qualify to apply).

It's typically extremely difficult to secure an LMIA - but again, he can certainly try.

irvah

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Thank you, scylla, very much

Two years program is more expensive, but I think we should consider it now for better outcome.

Best Regards,