+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post CoPR process for US Resident

nanda.uday92

Oct 14, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for this community for being helpful. I have got my CoPR and PR visa stamp. I am planning to land sometime soon.

1) What are the steps I need to take to land If I plan to return back on the same day? How much time does it take to complete the process?

2) I don't plan to move atleast for two years. Is this an issue? Will the officer question anything related to this?

3) Can the PR card issued later when I move after 2 years. I don't know anyone in Canada. Is it necessary to provide them with a Canadian address right when I land. What can I do If I have to provide an address when I land? Is there any alternative solution?

Thanks,
Nanda

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for this community for being helpful. I have got my CoPR and PR visa stamp. I am planning to land sometime soon.

1) What are the steps I need to take to land If I plan to return back on the same day? How much time does it take to complete the process?

2) I don't plan to move atleast for two years. Is this an issue? Will the officer question anything related to this?

3) Can the PR card issued later when I move after 2 years. I don't know anyone in Canada. Is it necessary to provide them with a Canadian address right when I land. What can I do If I have to provide an address when I land? Is there any alternative solution?

Thanks,
Nanda
1) Allow a couple of hours for immigration. Sometimes there is a long queue.
2) This not an issue. CBSA will advise you of the requirement to obtain your own PR card if you are not able to provide an immediate address.
3) Yes, but you will have to pay for it, as it's only free for 180 days after landing. You don't have to supply any address during landing.

Read https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2013/545-modified-december-6-2016.html

nanda.uday92

Oct 14, 2018
1) Allow a couple of hours for immigration. Sometimes there is a long queue.
2) This not an issue. CBSA will advise you of the requirement to obtain your own PR card if you are not able to provide an immediate address.
3) Yes, but you will have to pay for it, as it's only free for 180 days after landing. You don't have to supply any address during landing.

Read https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2013/545-modified-december-6-2016.html
Thanks a lot for the information. If I dont get PR card when landing, should I get a PRTD for next time when I travel?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks a lot for the information. If I dont get PR card when landing, should I get a PRTD for next time when I travel?
If you are a USA passport holder, you don't need to. Otherwise, yes. Or, cross the land border instead.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Nanda
Get your SIN before you return back to the US. A COPR can only be used for a year to get a SIN and after that, the PR card is required. If you don't have a PR card when you return in 2 years, it will take many weeks or months to get one and you will not be able to get a SIN and work during that time.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Nanda
1. 2 to 3 hours, a couple more for SIN, if you want.
2. No problem.
3. You need an address to get PR card. Sometimes officers refuse to initiate the PR card application for soft landing even if you have an address (rare). Find some relative or friend. Getting that PR card sooner, will save a lot of future hassles for you. The friend/relative can forward it to you in the US. If you don't provide an address, you will not get a PR card. In that case, you can still travel to Canada via US land border. But to travel via air or from any other country, you will need to apply for PRTD. PR card is also needed for SIN if applying after 1 year of landing.