+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post CoPR Expiry Options

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
If someone is not able to land and their CoPR expires, can their spouse who is starting a PR express entry process, sponsor for the person whose CoPR was expired in the past?

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
If someone is not able to land and their CoPR expires, can their spouse who is starting a PR express entry process, sponsor for the person whose CoPR was expired in the past?
If landing is not possible because of Covid. See information here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

In any case, "Sponsor" means the person is not in original application. In that case the spouse needs to be in Canada to sponsor. Easier is to just include the person in the new express entry application as accompanying.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
If landing is not possible because of Covid. See information here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#approved

In any case, "Sponsor" means the person is not in original application. In that case the spouse needs to be in Canada to sponsor. Easier is to just include the person in the new express entry application as accompanying.
Thanks cansha. The issue is that my CoPR was issued before March 18th, so technically I am exempt. But I am not willing to take the risk of the virus. So I was thinking post-expiry, if in the near future my spouse (not married yet) sponsors me through express entry, will that work? or could there be an issue of a past CoPR expiry coming in the way?

Mitya-kun

Star Member
Feb 6, 2019
Thanks cansha. The issue is that my CoPR was issued before March 18th, so technically I am exempt. But I am not willing to take the risk of the virus. So I was thinking post-expiry, if in the near future my spouse (not married yet) sponsors me through express entry, will that work? or could there be an issue of a past CoPR expiry coming in the way?
No, there won't be any issues in the future, your spouse will be able to add you to her EE application or sponsor you later through Family Sponsorship class.
However, that fact that you're exempt from the travel ban doesn't mean that you're exempt from the right to ask for COPR extension. Just raise the webform saying that you cannot or unwilling to travel due to COVID-19 outbreak. In the worst case, IRCC won't extend your COPR, however, it is highly likely that you will be granted with extension.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
No, there won't be any issues in the future, your spouse will be able to add you to her EE application or sponsor you later through Family Sponsorship class.
However, that fact that you're exempt from the travel ban doesn't mean that you're exempt from the right to ask for COPR extension. Just raise the webform saying that you cannot or unwilling to travel due to COVID-19 outbreak. In the worst case, IRCC won't extend your COPR, however, it is highly likely that you will be granted with extension.
I second this. You can still ask for COPR extension. The worst is they deny the extension but I think there are good chances IRCC may extend COPR validity.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Thank you Mitya and cansha. I plan to raise a webform close to my CoPR expiry rather than now since I come under the exempt status - I feel if I raise a webform now they might still ask me to travel. There is currently no restrictions to travel from US, however, I want to be pre-cautious due to COVID.