+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Arrival related question

mangusta1

Jan 31, 2017
Hello all,
I have received a visa from VAC and it's valid until a specific date (January),

As far as I understand, I have to enter Canada until that date and pass some immigration-related preprocessing procedures in the port of entry,

My issue is, I need to come back to my current location due to some tasks to handle in January (can't do it before), hence my question is,
-after entering Canada, how long should I have to stay there, and
-how can I re-enter Canada after coming back here

Thank you

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hello all,

As far as I understand, I have to enter Canada until that date and pass some immigration-related preprocessing procedures in the port of entry,

My issue is, I need to come back to my current location due to some tasks to handle in January (can't do it before), hence my question is,

Thank you
( a visa), first of all, what kind of visa ?

Trusty

Star Member
Jun 12, 2016
Assuming you mean the Immigration Visa for new PR with a COPR document.

You can leave within hours too but it is really really important if you can apply for SIN (social insurance num) the same day or next day, so plan to land on a working day and research about it before landing. Also you'll need a Canadian address where they will mail your PR card, you need to have it ready during landing preferably but you can also give an address to them later in a more complicated process.

If they ask if you are leaving and coming back, preferably just consider this as your landing. Don't tell them how you want to leave and come back, they will not submit your PR card application and ask you to do it later. If that is what you want/prefer, then its okay because you will need a Canadian address of friend or family to receive PR card. Some members on this forum had their friend/family mail them their PR card outside Canada, I am not sure how this works now that PR cards have RFID, perhaps using RFID Blocking Envelopes for the PR card.

Once you get out of Canada without PR card, you can reenter with just your passport and COPR paper if entering by land border in private/rental vehicle. To enter Canada by air you will either need to have PR card with you, OR apply for PRTD - Travel Document from your country's Canadian embassy/office (if you are not from visa exempt country). If you are from visa exempt country and don't need visa to board a flight to Canada, you can just board the flight and bring your COPR with you.

mangusta1

Jan 31, 2017
Assuming you mean the Immigration Visa for new PR with a COPR document.

You can leave within hours too but it is really really important if you can apply for SIN (social insurance num) the same day or next day, so plan to land on a working day and research about it before landing. Also you'll need a Canadian address where they will mail your PR card, you need to have it ready during landing preferably but you can also give an address to them later in a more complicated process.

If they ask if you are leaving and coming back, preferably just consider this as your landing. Don't tell them how you want to leave and come back, they will not submit your PR card application and ask you to do it later. If that is what you want/prefer, then its okay because you will need a Canadian address of friend or family to receive PR card. Some members on this forum had their friend/family mail them their PR card outside Canada, I am not sure how this works now that PR cards have RFID, perhaps using RFID Blocking Envelopes for the PR card.

Once you get out of Canada without PR card, you can reenter with just your passport and COPR paper if entering by land border in private/rental vehicle. To enter Canada by air you will either need to have PR card with you, OR apply for PRTD - Travel Document from your country's Canadian embassy/office (if you are not from visa exempt country). If you are from visa exempt country and don't need visa to board a flight to Canada, you can just board the flight and bring your COPR with you.

Thanks for reply,

I have found this page on CIC website,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

Originally my plan was to come to Canada, apply for PR card and specify non-Canadian address for PR card delivery, then enter Canada again after receiving PR card.
According to the link above, I can only apply for PR card if:
  • I didn’t receive my PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada;
  • my PR card is expired or will expire in less than nine months;
  • my PR card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed; or
  • I legally changed my name and need to update my PR card
My case doesn't fit any of the above, which means that I need to tell them some Canadian address to deliver the PR card to,
I would like to specify Canadian address of my relative, but there is a question, does my relative have to mail my PR card to me, or is there any other way to enter Canada (without a card)?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello all,

Thank you
In one week you get your social number and provincial medical insurance
As a Permanent Resident you should stay at least 2-3 month in order to receive your PR card
Remember the Resident Obligations to avoid any inconvenience

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Thanks for reply,

I have found this page on CIC website,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp

Originally my plan was to come to Canada, apply for PR card and specify non-Canadian address for PR card delivery, then enter Canada again after receiving PR card.
According to the link above, I can only apply for PR card if:
  • I didn’t receive my PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada;
  • my PR card is expired or will expire in less than nine months;
  • my PR card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed; or
  • I legally changed my name and need to update my PR card
My case doesn't fit any of the above, which means that I need to tell them some Canadian address to deliver the PR card to,
I would like to specify Canadian address of my relative, but there is a question, does my relative have to mail my PR card to me, or is there any other way to enter Canada (without a card)?
yes, you will receive your PR card at Canadian Address.
Someone could send you (via express-mail from Canada) to your original country at your own risk.

mangusta1

Jan 31, 2017
In one week you get your social number and provincial medical insurance
As a Permanent Resident you should stay at least 2-3 month in order to receive your PR card
Remember the Resident Obligations to avoid any inconvenience

I mean, do I have to be physically present in Canada during those 2-3 months (i.e. while the card is getting prepared)?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
That doesn't answer the question though : ) I still would like to have a look at the official statement requiring me to stay in Canada, while the card is getting prepared. I guess I have a better idea about what is valuable for me or not : )
what ever you want
send the PR card outside Canada is ILLEGAL, talk that to the border officer

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
That doesn't answer the question though : ) I still would like to have a look at the official statement requiring me to stay in Canada, while the card is getting prepared. I guess I have a better idea about what is valuable for me or not : )
Official
call 1 888 242 2100
The Government of Canada have changed the customer care number from an IRCC number to a Foreign Affairs number, so it no longer works as an option for calling IRCC from overseas.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

Non-Official
As a permanent resident, you may travel outside Canada after you arrive. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as apermanent resident. To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.
When you are a permanent resident, you can live outside of Canada, but must live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period. If you live outside of Canada for longer, you may lose your permanent resident status.

Last edited: