+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Post Arrival related question

mangusta1

Jan 31, 2017
Official
call 1 888 242 2100
The Government of Canada have changed the customer care number from an IRCC number to a Foreign Affairs number, so it no longer works as an option for calling IRCC from overseas.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

Non-Official
As a permanent resident, you may travel outside Canada after you arrive. However, you must meet certain residency obligations to maintain your status as apermanent resident. To meet these residency obligations, you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period.
When you are a permanent resident, you can live outside of Canada, but must live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period. If you live outside of Canada for longer, you may lose your permanent resident status.
Thanks,
The user above, stated that the mailing of PR card outside of Canada is illegal,I didn't know that, hence I would absolutely follow the rules and re-enter Canada without PR card,
In my situation, is it possible to re-enter Canada using Permanent Resident Travel Document?
And is it possible to apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document without previously applying for PR card?

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Thanks,
The user above, stated that the mailing of PR card outside of Canada is illegal,I didn't know that, hence I would absolutely follow the rules and re-enter Canada without PR card,
In my situation, is it possible to re-enter Canada using Permanent Resident Travel Document?
And is it possible to apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document without previously applying for PR card?
you can not apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document without previously have applied for PR card
yes it is possible to re-enter Canada using Permanent Resident Travel Document abroad
or if you are USA visa except, or have USA-Visitor Visa, you could cross the US-Canada border by private car (not commercial transportation), and your Valid CoPR, not expired.

Reactions: kimi_pat

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
Assuming you mean the Immigration Visa for new PR with a COPR document.

You can leave within hours too but it is really really important if you can apply for SIN (social insurance num) the same day or next day, so plan to land on a working day and research about it before landing. Also you'll need a Canadian address where they will mail your PR card, you need to have it ready during landing preferably but you can also give an address to them later in a more complicated process.

If they ask if you are leaving and coming back, preferably just consider this as your landing. Don't tell them how you want to leave and come back, they will not submit your PR card application and ask you to do it later. If that is what you want/prefer, then its okay because you will need a Canadian address of friend or family to receive PR card. Some members on this forum had their friend/family mail them their PR card outside Canada, I am not sure how this works now that PR cards have RFID, perhaps using RFID Blocking Envelopes for the PR card.

Once you get out of Canada without PR card, you can reenter with just your passport and COPR paper if entering by land border in private/rental vehicle. To enter Canada by air you will either need to have PR card with you, OR apply for PRTD - Travel Document from your country's Canadian embassy/office (if you are not from visa exempt country). If you are from visa exempt country and don't need visa to board a flight to Canada, you can just board the flight and bring your COPR with you.
Hi @Trusty,

I saw your reply and I would like your feedback in my situation as well.

I am a CEC inland applicant and my AOR is May 21st. I am in NA2 stage at the moment. I am hoping I will get PPR in mid to late September looking at the current progress in CEC category.

I am planning to go to India for a few months once I get my passport back with PR visa stamp. My medical expires in May 2018 so hopefully PR visa will be valid till May, 2018 as well. I want to travel to few countries in Asia and then come back to Canada. And I am a bit confused in landing procedure and PR card arrival. Please see below four options and advise which one is best:

Option – 1

Once I get PR visa stamp in my passport, I can do the landing procedure at one of many Port of Entries ( Niagara Falls ) and then leave to India in a week or two. I can give my friend’s address for PR card to be mailed to. He is also going to India in Dec so he can bring my PR card with him. I can then come back to Canada. My return date is flexible so I can wait a bit longer till I get PR card in my hand in India. So while returning to Canada, will border officials ask me how come I left the country just after landing and without receiving PR card myself? Will it create any issue? In this case, I can come back any time since I will have PR card in my hand. There will not be any limit or expiry date to enter Canada. Please confirm this if someone can.

Option – 2

Once I get PR visa stamp in my passport, I can fly to India in a week without landing. I can then stay in India and visit few countries for few months and then come back to Canada and finish landing procedure before May, 2018. In this case, will it create any issues if I would have visited few countries in Asia and have those additional visa stamps from those countries?

Option – 3

For some reason, if I don’t get my PR card while I am in India after landing, I can apply for PR Travel document and use it to enter in Canada without PR card. How difficult is the process for applying PRTD? Will border officers ask me any questions?

Option-4

While coming back to Canada, I can then fly to USA and cross the border by rental car using my COPR which is legal as I found in previous threads. In this case, will border officers ask me any questions?

Please give your input. Any advice or help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers!

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
you can not apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document without previously have applied for PR card
yes it is possible to re-enter Canada using Permanent Resident Travel Document abroad
or if you are USA visa except, or have USA-Visitor Visa, you could cross the US-Canada border by private car (not commercial transportation), and your Valid CoPR, not expired.
Hi @lossada,

I saw your reply and my situation is a bit similar as this one. Hence, I would really like your feedback if possible.

I am a CEC inland applicant and my AOR is May 21st. I am in NA2 stage at the moment. I am hoping I will get PPR in mid to late September looking at the current progress in CEC category.

I am planning to go to India for a few months once I get my passport back with PR visa stamp. My medical expires in May 2018 so hopefully PR visa will be valid till May, 2018 as well. I want to travel to few countries in Asia and then come back to Canada. And I am a bit confused in landing procedure and PR card arrival. Please see below four options and advise which one is best:

Option – 1

Once I get PR visa stamp in my passport, I can do the landing procedure at one of many Port of Entries ( Niagara Falls ) and then leave to India in a week or two. I can give my friend’s address for PR card to be mailed to. He is also going to India in Dec so he can bring my PR card with him. I can then come back to Canada. My return date is flexible so I can wait a bit longer till I get PR card in my hand in India. So while returning to Canada, will border officials ask me how come I left the country just after landing and without receiving PR card myself? Will it create any issue? In this case, I can come back any time since I will have PR card in my hand. There will not be any limit or expiry date to enter Canada. Please confirm this if someone can.

Option – 2

Once I get PR visa stamp in my passport, I can fly to India in a week without landing. I can then stay in India and visit few countries for few months and then come back to Canada and finish landing procedure before May, 2018. In this case, will it create any issues if I would have visited few countries in Asia and have those additional visa stamps from those countries?

Option – 3

For some reason, if I don’t get my PR card while I am in India after landing, I can apply for PR Travel document and use it to enter in Canada without PR card. How difficult is the process for applying PRTD? Will border officers ask me any questions?

Option-4

While coming back to Canada, I can then fly to USA and cross the border by rental car using my COPR which is legal as I found in previous threads. In this case, will border officers ask me any questions?

Please give your input. Any advice or help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers!

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Hi @lossada,

I saw your reply and my situation is a bit similar as this one. Hence, I would really like your feedback if possible.

Option – 1

Option – 2

Option – 3

Option-4

Cheers!
after you send the passport, process last 3-5 weeks, so you will land in nov, i don't know if it is time enough to get the PR card on time for your friend to take your card to you.

after landing PR card process lasts 7-9 weeks

i guess best option are 1st #4, 2nd #3

border officers will not ask you any questions

Last edited:

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
after you send the passport, process last 3-5 weeks, so you will land in nov, i don't know if it is time enough to get the PR card on time for your friend to take your card to you.

after landing PR card process lasts 7-9 weeks

i guess best option are 1st #4, 2nd #3

border officers will not ask you any questions
Thanks for your reply. If I can manage to get my PR card through someone in India regardless of timeline, then what do you think about option 1? In that case, I will be able to stay in India as long as I wish and will not have any issues coming back. Will border officers ask me how come I received PR card in spite of leaving before receiving it myself? Please advise if you can.

Thank you. Appreciated your input.

Cheers!

lossada

Sep 5, 2017
Thanks for your reply. If I can manage to get my PR card through someone in India regardless of timeline, then what do you think about option 1? In that case, I will be able to stay in India as long as I wish and will not have any issues coming back. Will border officers ask me how come I received PR card in spite of leaving before receiving it myself? Please advise if you can.

Thank you. Appreciated your input.

Cheers!
if you can handle your PR card regardless of timeline, option 1 is the best.

border officers will not ask you any questions, if that happens tell the truth, a relative takes it for you

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
if you can handle your PR card regardless of timeline, option 1 is the best.

border officers will not ask you any questions, if that happens tell the truth, a relative takes it for you
ok perfect. I will try to go for option 1 for sure.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

Cheers!

Trusty

Star Member
Jun 12, 2016
Hi @Trusty,

I saw your reply and I would like your feedback in my situation as well.

Option – 1

Option – 2

Option – 3

Option-4

Cheers!

To keep all options open, it is better if you finish the landing procedure before traveling to other countries. You don't want to build additional "travel history" while your PR process is one step from complete. In most cases it may have no impact, but why even have this chance of creating issues since you have the option to finish the landing before traveling elsewhere.

Also, if you have a US visa or able to enter US when you return, then you can just use your COPR and drive into Canada in a private/rental vehicle until COPR is valid (around May 2018).

So I would suggest aim for the "PR card receipt by friend - shipped or brought to you in India and you returning with PR card" - as primary goal. If something goes wrong and PR card hasn't arrived or misplaced, you have your COPR with you in India, apply for PRTD 2-3 weeks before you plan to return to Canada. Get the PRTD, arrive with no hassles. If your travel history is to any high-risk countries, that raising any alarms is totally unrelated to the use of PRTD or of leaving Canada soon after landing. Travel to most countries should have no issue when you return with PRTD.

If you do succeed in finding a friend who can ship the PR card to you in a RFID blocking envelope or case. Or if your friend is able to bring it physically to you when they visit India, then you can skip the PRTD and use the PR card to travel without an issue. (PRTD is mainly for airlines to allow you to fly, they would otherwise not allow you to fly since they do not recognize a COPR as travel document, it is clearly written on the COPR not to allow it as travel document).

As far as driving from the US border in a private/rental, you do not have to satisfy any airline staff or companies, you deal directly with the Border services and they know exactly what a COPR is and that you can be allowed into Canada since they know when you landed and that PR card won't get done so soon. If you traveled out of Canada while PR card is in process, is not illegal and there is no official restriction from traveling in general soon after landing.

Have access to all paperwork, scan it and upload to a dropbox which you can then access or print in India. Or keep copies in your luggage to make sure you have one copy always. You might need some of it when you fill out the PRTD application. Few numbers mentioned on COPR and your landing dates, etc. I believe the PRTD application also asks for sibling information/family information, not sure but you can easily find out by looking at a PRTD application for Indian service centers for Canada.

Only thing the border officers might be interested in, is that you were in US legally before driving to Canada and you have a legal status in Canada (COPR and stamp in your passport is the proof).

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
To keep all options open, it is better if you finish the landing procedure before traveling to other countries. You don't want to build additional "travel history" while your PR process is one step from complete. In most cases it may have no impact, but why even have this chance of creating issues since you have the option to finish the landing before traveling elsewhere.

Also, if you have a US visa or able to enter US when you return, then you can just use your COPR and drive into Canada in a private/rental vehicle until COPR is valid (around May 2018).

So I would suggest aim for the "PR card receipt by friend - shipped or brought to you in India and you returning with PR card" - as primary goal. If something goes wrong and PR card hasn't arrived or misplaced, you have your COPR with you in India, apply for PRTD 2-3 weeks before you plan to return to Canada. Get the PRTD, arrive with no hassles. If your travel history is to any high-risk countries, that raising any alarms is totally unrelated to the use of PRTD or of leaving Canada soon after landing. Travel to most countries should have no issue when you return with PRTD.

If you do succeed in finding a friend who can ship the PR card to you in a RFID blocking envelope or case. Or if your friend is able to bring it physically to you when they visit India, then you can skip the PRTD and use the PR card to travel without an issue. (PRTD is mainly for airlines to allow you to fly, they would otherwise not allow you to fly since they do not recognize a COPR as travel document, it is clearly written on the COPR not to allow it as travel document).

As far as driving from the US border in a private/rental, you do not have to satisfy any airline staff or companies, you deal directly with the Border services and they know exactly what a COPR is and that you can be allowed into Canada since they know when you landed and that PR card won't get done so soon. If you traveled out of Canada while PR card is in process, is not illegal and there is no official restriction from traveling in general soon after landing.

Have access to all paperwork, scan it and upload to a dropbox which you can then access or print in India. Or keep copies in your luggage to make sure you have one copy always. You might need some of it when you fill out the PRTD application. Few numbers mentioned on COPR and your landing dates, etc. I believe the PRTD application also asks for sibling information/family information, not sure but you can easily find out by looking at a PRTD application for Indian service centers for Canada.

Only thing the border officers might be interested in, is that you were in US legally before driving to Canada and you have a legal status in Canada (COPR and stamp in your passport is the proof).
Hi Trusty,

Really appreciated your detailed explanation and time spent in doing so.

I would aim for Option -1 - My friend or someone brings PR card with them while flying to India so should be no issue of RFID blocking. I would not mind waiting a bit longer in that case. If for some reason it doesnt happen, then I can apply for PRTD in India and use to to board a flight to Canada.

The third option would be flying to US from India and then cross the border in a rental cars or ask friend to come to USA to pick me up cross the border with him.

Thanks again. The wait is killing me now! Cant wait to get PPR and finish landing ASAP!

Cheers!