+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibly not able to export car from the us.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Any updates regarding the case that US plated car in Canada to be imported? I sent emails to both RIV and CBSA, got 1 reply from RIV until now.

"If your vehicle is already in Canada, you will need to visit a CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) office in order to obtain a Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) and begin the import process. To find the office nearest to you the CBSA can be reached at 1-800-461-9999. "

According to the comment from Alex54321, I think this email reply is automatic.
Confirm that.

Also as I mentioned before I was not able to export my wife's car ( missing power of attoreney doc), so I drove from US side directy to Canada and did the formal import. Next day I drove from Canada to US to finish up the export and returned back to Canada with stamped Title. I expained to Canadian customs situation, showed import form ( received a day before) and they let me in with still US plated car ( exported and imported) and reminded that we have 45 days for RIV import process.

That was our specific case, but the point is that Canadian Customs alowed to formally import the vehicle ( issued Form1) and did not care about US (export) regulations.

Reactions: desmat and hustmonk

hustmonk

Oct 27, 2020
Confirm that.

Also as I mentioned before I was not able to export my wife's car ( missing power of attoreney doc), so I drove from US side directy to Canada and did the formal import. Next day I drove from Canada to US to finish up the export and returned back to Canada with stamped Title. I expained to Canadian customs situation, showed import form ( received a day before) and they let me in with still US plated car ( exported and imported) and reminded that we have 45 days for RIV import process.

That was our specific case, but the point is that Canadian Customs alowed to formally import the vehicle ( issued Form1) and did not care about US (export) regulations.
Thanks for your information. I will wait for a reply from CBSA or go to CBSA directly(not entering US) in 1-2 weeks. With my IDs and title of the car(not stamped), I will try to get Form 1 to permanently import the car. Hope other people in same situation could report more cases.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Any updates regarding the case that US plated car in Canada to be imported? I sent emails to both RIV and CBSA, got 1 reply from RIV until now.

"If your vehicle is already in Canada, you will need to visit a CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) office in order to obtain a Vehicle Import Form (Form 1) and begin the import process. To find the office nearest to you the CBSA can be reached at 1-800-461-9999. "

According to the comment from Alex54321, I think this email reply is automatic.
What is your situation?
Are you already in Canada with a US car..
And you did not export it from US?
And/Or Can you not go back to US to complete export?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks for your information. I will wait for a reply from CBSA or go to CBSA directly(not entering US) in 1-2 weeks. With my IDs and title of the car(not stamped), I will try to get Form 1 to permanently import the car. Hope other people in same situation could report more cases.
I am planning to go to cbsa this weekend probably or next month to do the import process myself as i cannot go to US now to do the export.. So i will do import only but need to know if i can go anytime over weekend or any particular hours as it says open 24hours 7days..

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Confirm that.

So does it mean i don't need to do any pre-work and simply can goto cbsa office and ask them to provide form1 and then later pay import fees or anything else on riv website in 45days... ?
Is getting inspection and getting canadian license and canadian number plate also included in those 45 days or that can be additional days?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Yes, we didn't do the temporary import - we just told them we were ignorant of that rule - and it's true. My partner's parents were the ones who technically brought it over to us.

But again, the CBSA officer said not to worry about anything. As long as the car is insured and everything is up to date we're good.
Is there any update on your situation?
What happened after that

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Not sure about Blaine local directives, maybe the vehicle should stay in US for 72 hours from their point of view. As far as stamp in Title, not sure that RIV inspector cares about that. My RIV email from last week said if vehicle is in Canada - just go to CBSA office to get Form 1.

It's all flexible from my point of view. In 2018 I drove the US plated car back and forth to work from Canada until recall was done and after that decided to formally permanently import her, got ITN number, gave 72 notice by email, drove to US, turned around to export office, got stamp and proceeded to Canada for import. My spouse's second vehicle is in Canada, stuck here because of virus since March, US plated/insured/registered.

My worry now is just border crossing, since car import is not essential reason for travel.
If we import a US car in canada then what happens later if there is any recall by manufacturer .. Do we get option to get recalled part repaired or replaced in Canada or it has to go back to US for that recall fulfillment?

hustmonk

Oct 27, 2020
What is your situation?
Are you already in Canada with a US car..
And you did not export it from US?
And/Or Can you not go back to US to complete export?
Hi, we have same issue. My US plated is in Canada since Feb. 2020 when I landed.
I had planned to return back US to bring rest of my items and export my car in late Feb or early Mar.
So I have to go to CBSA only to request to import car without US export stamp. (Hope CBSA allow us to import)

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi, we have same issue. My US plated is in Canada since Feb. 2020 when I landed.
I had planned to return back US to bring rest of my items and export my car in late Feb or early Mar.
So I have to go to CBSA only to request to import car without US export stamp. (Hope CBSA allow us to import)
Yes it seems they would allow.. And thats what i am planning ..

Another thing i think we have to get canadian license after getting form1 from cbsa.. As i doubt we would be able to drive a canadian plated car with US license in canada

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
If we import a US car in canada then what happens later if there is any recall by manufacturer .. Do we get option to get recalled part repaired or replaced in Canada or it has to go back to US for that recall fulfillment?
All depends on the Manufacturer. Mercedes USA told me that export or not export they consider the vehicle as US vehicle and it's covered by US warranty. I am not sure whether Canadian Mercedes dealer can do repair under US warranty in Canada. The Mercedes dealer in Windsor, ON last year told me they cannot do a re-call on US vehicle . This spring ( when I imported our second vehicle) they told me that due to a virus they are allowed to do re-call repair on US vehicle. So, they would do it only because of COVID19 situation.

Reactions: desmat

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Yes it seems they would allow.. And thats what i am planning ..

Another thing i think we have to get canadian license after getting form1 from cbsa.. As i doubt we would be able to drive a canadian plated car with US license in canada
You are mixing different things together. Slow down... There is rule of how long you can drive in general ( any vehicle) in Canada with US license (up to six months). There is rule how much time you have to pass RIV inspection (45 days) after you got Form1 from customs. After RIV inspection you can put your US plated car in garage and forget about the car, nobody forces you to get it registered/plated.

The thing is you cannot get car ( correct me if I am mistaken) registered in Canada with US DL. You would need Canadian DL, RIV inspection form, Safety Inspection form, a vehilce Title on your name and proof of insurance to get car registered/plated in Canada.

As far as export from US, I did it specifically thinking if ( remote possibility) I ever need to sell a car in US I could re-import her back to US ( it's a free process). Since I am dual citizen I just wanted to have this flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: desmat

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
You are mixing different things together. Slow down... There is rule of how long you can drive in general ( any vehicle) in Canada with US license (up to six months). There is rule how much time you have to pass RIV inspection (45 days) after you got Form1 from customs. After RIV inspection you can put your US plated car in garage and forget about the car, nobody forces you to get it registered/plated.

The thing is you cannot get car ( correct me if I am mistaken) registered in Canada with US DL. You would need Canadian DL, RIV inspection form, Safety Inspection form, a vehilce Title on your name and proof of insurance to get car registered/plated in Canada.

As far as export from US, I did it specifically thinking if ( remote possibility) I ever need to sell a car in US I could re-import her back to US ( it's a free process). Since I am dual citizen I just wanted to have this flexibility.
Thanks for reply..
Are you sure limit is 6month with US license.. I think it is 12months..

I got your other point.. I have to get Canadian license before i go to register car in Canada to get Canadian number plate...

Is RIV inspection same thing we get done in Canadian tire.. Or is that Safety Inspection..
If canadian tire does safety inspection.. Then where do we need to go to get RIV inspection..?

I think i need to read import process steps again as forgot most steps now..

One more different question:
The US car title is on my name so import will be done on my name..right? So Is it possible to transfer car on my spouse's name before import or after import, before registering canadian plate or after registering plate?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks for reply..
Are you sure limit is 6month with US license.. I think it is 12months..

I got your other point.. I have to get Canadian license before i go to register car in Canada to get Canadian number plate...

Is RIV inspection same thing we get done in Canadian tire.. Or is that Safety Inspection..
If canadian tire does safety inspection.. Then where do we need to go to get RIV inspection..?

I think i need to read import process steps again as forgot most steps now..

One more different question:
The US car title is on my name so import will be done on my name..right? So Is it possible to transfer car on my spouse's name before import or after import, before registering canadian plate or after registering plate?
Cannnot find official link, but https://www.tripsavvy.com/driving-in-canada-1482154

I did RIV inspection ( after car modification - daytime running lights re-programming only) in Canadian Tire. The safety inspection is different and is required by ServiceOntario for vehicle registration and can be done in a lot of local shops for a fee (~80CAD). To me they requested to have new tires and rotors and pads.

hustmonk

Oct 27, 2020
Got reply from CBSA as follow:

You must immediately notify the CBSA if your status in Canada changes, as this may change the benefits that apply to your goods.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-1-1-smr-eng.html

Before importing any vehicle, you should contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). Created by Transport Canada (TC), the RIV administers a national program to ensure that imported vehicles are brought into compliance with Canada's safety standards.

The importation of an admissible vehicle will occur at the first Canadian port of entry or inland office by presenting an original Title certificate and bill of sale.

A full list of inland offices, along with the services they provide is available at:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/do-rb/services/inland-interieur-eng.html

You must also prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

You will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 or BSF186 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. Please note that there is no time limit to import goods declared on the B4 or BSF186 form.

The United States (U.S.) Customs and Border Protection does have specific exportation requirements for vehicles leaving the U.S. on a permanent basis. The proper exportation of a vehicle, generally beginning 72 hours prior to exiting the U.S., fulfills legal requirement with the U.S. government. Failure to complete the U.S. exportation process may lead to penalties and/or seizure.

While the U.S. exportation of a vehicle is not a requirement to import a vehicle to Canada, we strongly recommend that the process be followed.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Got reply from CBSA as follow:

You must immediately notify the CBSA if your status in Canada changes, as this may change the benefits that apply to your goods.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-1-1-smr-eng.html

Before importing any vehicle, you should contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). Created by Transport Canada (TC), the RIV administers a national program to ensure that imported vehicles are brought into compliance with Canada's safety standards.

The importation of an admissible vehicle will occur at the first Canadian port of entry or inland office by presenting an original Title certificate and bill of sale.

A full list of inland offices, along with the services they provide is available at:
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/do-rb/services/inland-interieur-eng.html

You must also prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

You will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 or BSF186 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. Please note that there is no time limit to import goods declared on the B4 or BSF186 form.

The United States (U.S.) Customs and Border Protection does have specific exportation requirements for vehicles leaving the U.S. on a permanent basis. The proper exportation of a vehicle, generally beginning 72 hours prior to exiting the U.S., fulfills legal requirement with the U.S. government. Failure to complete the U.S. exportation process may lead to penalties and/or seizure.

While the U.S. exportation of a vehicle is not a requirement to import a vehicle to Canada, we strongly recommend that the process be followed.
So, nothing new here, other than confirmation that if your vehicle is addmissible for import you can do it at the border or in inland office. Again, if vehicle is already here and due to COVID19 ( or other reason) you cannot do export - just do the import. If the VIN was included to the List of Goods to Follow - you do not pay duty. As far as US penalties - I would not worry about this. If, in the future as Canadian resident, you drive to US - US customs have no idea whether the vehicle was exported or not.

Can you do the export? If not - just do the import and have a happy life.