+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibly not able to export car from the us.

hustmonk

Oct 27, 2020
11/04 update

Found one inland CBSA office, requested Form 1 (Car importation).
Officer checked 1) my ID, 2) title of car (no export stamp), 3) filled Form 1, 4) Form BSF186A (Goods to follow, had stamped at border before) then processed my importation transaction.
Duty payment is 0, because of new settler with tariff code 9807.00.00.
Paid RIV inspection fee online.

Reactions: Alex54321

Kboss1991

Nov 9, 2020
Who are you guys insured through if you're driving your us car in Canada? Geico only covers a month and I'm well past that and absolutely freaked out now cause my car is basically not insured if that's the case.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Also, could I still sell the car in Canada if I import it here but don't export it from the United States?
As far as selling - I got the stamp in my Ontario registration to contact Canada CBSA first, basiclally meaning I can sell her in Canada after 1 year.
With second imported car I do not have that notice in registration, but I think it's the same - to sell after one year.

In general you can sell properly imported car ( passed RIV inspection).

Hazmatt

Apr 27, 2020
Sorry to rekindle an old thread but I find myself in this exact situation and am considering skipping the export process. Has anyone, that did not export their vehicle from the US, experienced any issues?

hustmonk

Oct 27, 2020
Sorry to rekindle an old thread but I find myself in this exact situation and am considering skipping the export process. Has anyone, that did not export their vehicle from the US, experienced any issues?
So far so good, every thing is normal to drive this car in Canada.

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
Here is my experience with this whole issue. Brought he car in Canada without exporting from USA Jan 2020. I did not even do form 1 at the time since I did not have my title as the car was leased. Drove for 8 months on GIECO insurance. Then insured in Canada with all state at the end of 2020, still on PA registration and US number plates. In Nov 2021 imported the vehicle through CBSA and RIV no issues. I can’t speak to issues when the car will go back to US but so far no issues in Canada. CBSA told I can sell the car after 1 year. To add I came to Canada on WP and then got my PR in July 2021.

Apr 13, 2022
Well, the situation doesn't seem that simple. Did you solve it? I don't think that transferring the title to your wife will solve this situation. I had a similar issue with my car back when I was living in the U.K. I decided to move to the U.S., and I couldn't export my old Aston Martin. I didn't want to leave my car there or sell it, as I grew up together with it. The worst part was that the car broke down even after I got it to the U.S., and I couldn't find a good service for a while. After all, I found a fantastic surrey centre auto repairs. Those guys made my car look and feel like a new one.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Well, the situation doesn't seem that simple. Did you solve it? I don't think that transferring the title to your wife will solve this situation. I had a similar issue with my car back when I was living in the U.K. I decided to move to the U.S., and I couldn't export my old Aston Martin. I didn't want to leave my car there or sell it, as I grew up together with it. The worst part was that the car broke down even after I got it to the U.S., and I couldn't find a good service for a while. After all, I found a fantastic surrey centre auto repairs. Those guys made my car look and feel like a new one.
Seriously?
Now people are pushing car mechanics?

Aug 5, 2018
Here is my experience with this whole issue. Brought he car in Canada without exporting from USA Jan 2020. I did not even do form 1 at the time since I did not have my title as the car was leased. Drove for 8 months on GIECO insurance. Then insured in Canada with all state at the end of 2020, still on PA registration and US number plates. In Nov 2021 imported the vehicle through CBSA and RIV no issues. I can’t speak to issues when the car will go back to US but so far no issues in Canada. CBSA told I can sell the car after 1 year. To add I came to Canada on WP and then got my PR in July 2021.
hi there y’all, in a similar situation since I wasn’t even aware of US export rules when moving to Canada in 2018 (CBSA or RIV never even mentioned or asked for export paperwork) & figured will revive this old thread… driving in Canada doesn’t seem like an issue at all but anyone face any challenges when crossing the border or when driving the car in US? Also curious if anyone face any issues when selling the vehicle?

Thanks in advance!

dilips24

Aug 11, 2021
I moved to Ontario in July 2021 and was not able to export the car from USA( due to covid restriction and not having the title at the time I crossed the border).

I registered my car in Ontario.

Now I am moving back to Illinois again . My car was previously registered in Illinois and I have a duplicate title .

Can I just renew my registration as I am already having the previous title and number plates ?

What should be the process as I never officially exported my car from USA?

Please advise

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I moved to Ontario in July 2021 and was not able to export the car from USA( due to covid restriction and not having the title at the time I crossed the border).

Now I am moving back to Illinois again . My car was previously registered in Illinois and I have a duplicate title .

Can I just renew my registration as I am already having the previous title and number plates ?

Please advise
So, you have title and plate and US side has no idea about your history in Canada ( they do not). I would just go and do it, with IL proof of insurance.

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022

Please advise
Hey, what did you end up doing, were you able to continue using the car in the US once you moved back?
I have a similar situation, I have imported the car but not yet exported it from US. Its on my wife's name so I am not sure when she will be able to join on the US side for finishing export process.
What happens if I never do the export and move back in 2-3 years?

Jun 16, 2023
Just stumbled upon this thread and saw that you had some concerns about exporting your car and transferring the title to your wife. I totally get it - that can be a bit of a headache. As for bringing the car back to the US, it really depends on your situation. If you're just visiting, you probably won't have any problems. But if you're moving there permanently, you might need to do things a bit differently. Have you considered using a vehicle delivery service? They're pros at transporting cars across borders and can make the process a lot easier for you. They can also help you navigate any regulations you need to be aware of. It's worth looking into and talking to someone who knows the ins and outs of the process.