::Possible to land in Ontario and move to settle in Quebec immediately?::

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marco-cbu said:
Hi Leon,

i have landed also Toronto for 3 weeks last Nov. 2010, got the sin #,PR card and G1 driving license did not take the road test and also did not apply for health insurance then left the country.
Now, I want to go back to canada to settle in Calgary this coming July.My questions are for the health insurance, i want to apply in Calgary do I have to wait for 3 months after filing or shall i take a travel insurance just in case?
2nd) for the driving license, can i apply there for G2 or G?
btw, i have a dubai license for more than 10 years and will bring an NOC from RTA Dubai.

thanks in advance
I am 99.9% sure that Alberta Health will not consider you to have settled in ON just because you were there for 3 weeks. They will therefore treat your move as an international move and give you health coverage from day one. If you want to ask them yourself, you can find their number here: http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/contact-AHCIP.html

In Alberta, if you have an international drivers license or a drivers license and a translation of it, they will let you take the road test to get a GDL license (same as Ontario G2). If you also have an experience letter or your license or the translation shows the first date of issue and you can prove that you have more than 2 years driving experience, they will let you take the advanced road test and get a full license right away.

It is however possible that you might have complicated things by going for a G1 license while you were in Ontario. In ON, it is clear that if you go for a G1 license without requesting at the same time that they consider your driving experience, you will be stuck in the system at G1 and later proof of your driving experience will not be considered. It is possible that the registries in Alberta will therefore say to you that you are already in the system as a G1 from Ontario and they will only give you a learners license until Nov. 2011. However, there are many registries and if you end up in one that tells you that, just say ok, leave and go to another one.

virgiemaricel

Jul 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2005
Med's Request
05-2010
Med's Done....
19-10-2010/ sent to CEM on 4-11-2010
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
11-05-2011
Leon said:
You will not get OHIP unless you stay in ON for 3 months. If you want to stay in ON for 3 months, you can get OHIP and it will cover you for your first 3 months in Quebec. If you don't want to stay in ON for 3 months, forget about OHIP.
We got our SIN yesterday. There was no question as to why our address in the CPR is different from our present address now. Whew! How come we were told that we will receive our SIN cards after 3 working weeks, and not 10 business days as advised in their fliers.

As for the OHIP, so we won't apply for it anymore since we don't intend to stay here longer than 3 months. What are the possible problems/ questions from Quebec health officers once we apply for their health card?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not think that Quebec can deny you health insurance if you are a PR and have lived in Quebec for 3 months.

virgiemaricel

Jul 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2005
Med's Request
05-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
11-05-2011
@ Leon: Thanks for your valuable input. I know this is off topic but how about CCTB? Should we apply it here in Toronto, using our present address?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virgiemaricel said:
@ Leon: Thanks for your valuable input. I know this is off topic but how about CCTB? Should we apply it here in Toronto, using our present address?
Yes, why not?

virgiemaricel

Jul 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2005
Med's Request
05-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
11-05-2011
Leon said:
Yes, why not?
I read that the processing would take 80 calendar days. The cheque (assuming that we are eligible) will be delivered in our Toronto address but by that time, we are in Montreal already. I am not sure if I can arrange mailing/ delivery service with our landlady. I was thinking of applying direct deposit but somebody told me I can't use our bank account number since we opened it in Montreal. The CRA would know where the savings account was opened. Really confused now.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to arrange mail forwarding with your landlady, only with Canada Post.

virgiemaricel

Jul 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2005
Med's Request
05-2010
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
11-05-2011
ow do we go about the mail forwarding delivery? CRA won't know about it?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible that CRA writes "Do not forward" on their mail in which case the post will send it back to them with your new address so then they will know your new address. You can also apply now and if you still don't have a check by the time you move, let CRA know about your change of address.

rrv

Star Member
Jun 4, 2011
Hi all,

I have received a job offer that requires frequent overseas travel.
Can anyone plz advice me - Will the time spend overseas be counted towards maintaining PR and eventually towards Citizenship?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are employed in Canada and travelling on behalf of your employer, your days will be counted towards the PR residency requirements but not towards citizenship. In order to gain citizenship, you must manage to live in Canada for 3 years in a 4 year period which means that you can not be outside Canada for more then 3 months a year on average.

Ouss

Dec 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waiting for PER
Leon said:
If you are employed in Canada and travelling on behalf of your employer, your days will be counted towards the PR residency requirements but not towards citizenship. In order to gain citizenship, you must manage to live in Canada for 3 years in a 4 year period which means that you can not be outside Canada for more then 3 months a year on average.
Hello Leon,
I have a friend who applied as a FSW and he recently got his Visa.
since he has connections in Montreal, he was able to find a job there and he plans on Landing in Ontario and moving straight to Montreal to start his new job...the question he has is will his children be able to attend Public/Private french schools in Quebec without a CSQ? and will he be able to avail government services (quebec gov) such as settlement assistance and language support? he speaks french fluently, still, a little more help will not be a bad thing i guess...

thanks in advance,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard that if you move to Quebec after the fact, you can apply just for the CSQ so you have it. However, he should not tell anybody this is what he is planning to do. FSW is for people who do not intend to live in Quebec. He should land outside Quebec, get his SIN there and stay for a little while, at least a couple of weeks to get the SIN card in the mail. Then move to Quebec and if anybody asks, say he got a job offer he couldn't refuse but that he did not plan this all along.

dnyfyn

Aug 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-2016
Doc's Request.
08-2016
Med's Request
08-2016
Med's Done....
08-2016
All the guys over here.

I suppose you all would have made your decisions to move or not.

Please support me and let me know.

I have landed in Toronto. I have a job offer in Montreal.

Can I move and settle in Quebec since I came on FSW?
Can I apply for citizenship down the line if I move to Quebec?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dnyfyn said:
I have landed in Toronto. I have a job offer in Montreal.

Can I move and settle in Quebec since I came on FSW?
Can I apply for citizenship down the line if I move to Quebec?
Since you only landed a couple of days ago, you should at least stay outside Quebec for a while. You do not want it to look like you planned this all along when you landed. Other than that, you should be fine.