::Possible to land in Ontario and move to settle in Quebec immediately?::

Cairo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
I am a FSW applicant and would like to move to Montreal after I do the landing procedure in any city in Ontario. I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to give a Montreal address to receive my PR card?
2. Shall I apply for the SIN and the Health Insurance in Ontario first then change it to Montreal or should I wait till I arrive Montreal and apply for one?
3. Can I apply for a driving license in Montreal straight away or should I go through the procedure in ON?
4. In general, will it be problematic to settle in Quebec after applying under FSW laws?

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FSW is for people who don't intend to settle in Quebec. If you intended to settle in Quebec, you should have applied under QSW.

It is possible that you would get away with moving to Montreal right away but to avoid potential problems, you should give an ON address and stay in ON for a couple of months. You can get your SIN in ON as well as the drivers license but you will not get OHIP unless you stay in ON for 3 months. It might actually be a good idea to do that. When you move to Quebec, OHIP will cover you for the first 3 months while you wait to get Quebec healthcare.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
FSWs can live and work anywhere in Canada, including Quebec. CBSA won't let you land in Quebec and probably won't accept a Quebec address for the PR card, but once you are landed, you can go anywhere you want. Now, Quebec provincial authorities may have different ideas about your eligibility for health coverage, etc. I don't know if you are likely to have any less of a hard time if you wait three months, though. If you speak French, your chances of avoiding a bureaucratic nightmare probably improve.

Cairo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
FSW is for people who don't intend to settle in Quebec. If you intended to settle in Quebec, you should have applied under QSW.

It is possible that you would get away with moving to Montreal right away but to avoid potential problems, you should give an ON address and stay in ON for a couple of months. You can get your SIN in ON as well as the drivers license but you will not get OHIP unless you stay in ON for 3 months. It might actually be a good idea to do that. When you move to Quebec, OHIP will cover you for the first 3 months while you wait to get Quebec healthcare.
FSWs can live and work anywhere in Canada, including Quebec. CBSA won't let you land in Quebec and probably won't accept a Quebec address for the PR card, but once you are landed, you can go anywhere you want. Now, Quebec provincial authorities may have different ideas about your eligibility for health coverage, etc. I don't know if you are likely to have any less of a hard time if you wait three months, though. If you speak French, your chances of avoiding a bureaucratic nightmare probably improve.
Thanks Leon and Links18.

I am arranging for a job in Montreal and my two boys are already registered swimmers in the Quebec Federation of Swimming and are competing in the Canadian Nationals in July (Hopefully we'll be able to make it before then). They are already registered with a Montreal Club since 2010.

I do speak french by the way ;)

I only need to make it as smooth as possible with no hurdles. We can land in Ottawa and do the formalities in a couple of days then drive to Montreal. I can always drive back and forth to complete unfinished paperwork. I can arrange for a 3-month health cover for the initial period so the OHIP will be ok. You reckon I can apply in Quebec afterwards, providing that I have a residence in Montreal? Will the driving license be done in Quebec or ON?

So many issues...

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are unable to stay in ON for 3 months, then forget OHIP. If they find out you are not really living in ON and applying for OHIP, you will have problems. In that case, just land in ON, give an ON address for your PR cards and then take your chances on going to Montreal right away. I think it is unlikely that you will have any problems.

Cairo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
If you are unable to stay in ON for 3 months, then forget OHIP. If they find out you are not really living in ON and applying for OHIP, you will have problems. In that case, just land in ON, give an ON address for your PR cards and then take your chances on going to Montreal right away. I think it is unlikely that you will have any problems.
Cheers Leon.

faisal124

Star Member
Mar 21, 2010
Hi Leon,

My case is also similar. I have landed in Toronto and stayed there for 2 months. I've got my PRC and also applied for OHIP. Now, I've got a job offer in Montreal. Are there any legal binding for FSW's taking up employment in Quebec. Also, will the number of days I live in Quebec will contribute towards the 730 days required to fulfill the residency obligation for maintaining PR status.

Also, as I'm not stating in Ontario for 3 months, should I have to inform Service Ontario about my change of province. What will happen in that case. They will cancel my OHIP application??

Also, what is the requirement for getting Quebec Health INsurance.

Thanks,
Faisal

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you are a PR, you have no obligation to not move to Quebec. Your 730 days in Quebec will count as days inside Canada because Quebec is in Canada. OHIP makes a requirement that you stay in Ontario for 153 days out of your first 183 days in the province to get your OHIP. If you move away, I suppose you do not qualify to get OHIP any more and in Quebec, you will have a new 3 month waiting period to get health care.

Cairo

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Once you are a PR, you have no obligation to not move to Quebec. Your 730 days in Quebec will count as days inside Canada because Quebec is in Canada. OHIP makes a requirement that you stay in Ontario for 153 days out of your first 183 days in the province to get your OHIP. If you move away, I suppose you do not qualify to get OHIP any more and in Quebec, you will have a new 3 month waiting period to get health care.
Leon, thanks for your wonderful support here ;)

In such case, I will land in Ottawa, will NOT provide an address to receive the PR cards.

I will send them my Montreal address, once I sign the lease contract, to deliver my Cards.

Am I correct here or should I designate an ON address to receive it?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It would be better to give an ON address because you aren't really supposed to be coming in under FSW with the intent to move to Quebec right away. In that case, you really should have applied under QSW. However, like I said, once you are a PR, nobody can stop you from moving to Quebec.

You can arrange an address in ON through UPS or by getting a P.O. Box and once you have an address in Montreal, you can set up a forward. You can also try what you are saying, not giving an address when you land and contacting them later and saying you have an address in Montreal. I do not know if they will have any problems with that.

virgiemaricel

Jul 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2005
Med's Request
05-2010
Med's Done....
19-10-2010/ sent to CEM on 4-11-2010
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
11-05-2011
I have the same dilemma. We wish to settle in Montreal but could not do so right away.

@ Leon: My family and I are here in Toronto (again) after staying for almost 3 weeks in Montreal. We will apply for our SIN cards here. Did we do the right thing, not applying for the SIN card in Montreal?

Our PR cards will be sent to an Ontario address as provided when we landed.

Is it ok to provide an Ontario address for SIN card application that is different from the address we provided for the mailing of our PR cards?

We have a private health insurance for now. Since we dont intend to stay longer in Toronto, is it better not to apply for OHIP? As soon as we get our PR, we will return to Montreal. What are the odds when we apply for Quebec health cards? If there is 3 month waiting time, then we should extend our private insurance for another 3 months?

Please advise. Thanks so much!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you were to have any problems because of moving to Quebec immediately which is absolutely by no means certain, it is a bit of an insurance policy that you applied for the SIN cards in ON so they can not say that it was your intention to move to Quebec from day 1. The address for the SIN card at Service Canada vs. the address for the PR card at immigration are very unlikely to be cross-checked.

As for health cards, you will not get OHIP unless you live in ON for 3 months. If you do, your OHIP will cover you for the 3 month waiting period in Quebec. If you move to Quebec before you get OHIP, you will still have to serve the 3 month waiting period in Quebec without a health card.

virgiemaricel

Jul 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2005
Med's Request
05-2010
Med's Done....
19-10-2010/ sent to CEM on 4-11-2010
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2011
LANDED..........
11-05-2011
@ Leon: So your advice then is for us to still apply for OHIP? Did I get it right?

But as you said, since we don't intend to stay in Ontario, we should forget OHIP? That's what I read in your previous posts here.

Sorry for the so many questions.

Thanks.

marco-cbu

Star Member
Oct 15, 2010
Hi Leon,

i have landed also Toronto for 3 weeks last Nov. 2010, got the sin #,PR card and G1 driving license did not take the road test and also did not apply for health insurance then left the country.
Now, I want to go back to canada to settle in Calgary this coming July.My questions are for the health insurance, i want to apply in Calgary do I have to wait for 3 months after filing or shall i take a travel insurance just in case?
2nd) for the driving license, can i apply there for G2 or G?
btw, i have a dubai license for more than 10 years and will bring an NOC from RTA Dubai.

thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
virgiemaricel said:
@ Leon: So your advice then is for us to still apply for OHIP? Did I get it right?

But as you said, since we don't intend to stay in Ontario, we should forget OHIP? That's what I read in your previous posts here.

Sorry for the so many questions.

Thanks.
You will not get OHIP unless you stay in ON for 3 months. If you want to stay in ON for 3 months, you can get OHIP and it will cover you for your first 3 months in Quebec. If you don't want to stay in ON for 3 months, forget about OHIP.