+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

waqasrao

Sep 18, 2018
Hi, my original oath ceremony was at 7:45 am on April 19 (the day the strike began) and was cancelled 13 mins before it was scheduled to take place.

I just received an email that it has been rescheduled to take place on May 10 at 8:30 am in person in Mississauga office. Very happy, can’t wait!
My wife also got the same notice and she is also scheduled for May 10th 8:30am. Congrats

kapoor619

Star Member
Feb 10, 2013
Hello, my original oath ceremony was scheduled for 26th April and was cancelled, I work in the UK and travelled especially to Canada just to attend my oath ceremony, I am stuck here now and need to go back to UK to join work, my office is Vancouver although my home town in Calgary, I have already emailed both Calgary and Vancouver offices requesting urgent scheduling due to my situation and provided supporting documents Can someone guide me what else I can do to get the Oath scheduled asap.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Hello, my original oath ceremony was scheduled for 26th April and was cancelled, I work in the UK and travelled especially to Canada just to attend my oath ceremony, I am stuck here now and need to go back to UK to join work, my office is Vancouver although my home town in Calgary, I have already emailed both Calgary and Vancouver offices requesting urgent scheduling due to my situation and provided supporting documents Can someone guide me what else I can do to get the Oath scheduled asap.
You've done all that's possible: make a request.

If you had urgent and unavoidable travel plans to go abroad perhaps, but I don't think they would schedule urgently based on the fact that you don't live here. Is the address on your file Canadian or UK? There’s no longer an intent to reside requirement, but up until you’ve actually taken the oath, you’re subject to their expectation on you being in Canada whenever they issue a notice to appear.

You will probably get oath for end of May and need to make travel plans accordingly. To be fair there are low cost transatlantic flights available. You can take the oath anywhere in Canada. Including an airport.

Last edited:

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Yup.

They were almost back to standard processing times when the strike started. They now reckon it will take until end of summer for them to catch up.
To the contrary, it was 22 months before the strike which is far greater than the standard 12. And at last count, the backlog was projected to be there for the year ahead. Now with 2 weeks of unopened new applications and piles of existing files to process, who knows what will happen? I truly hope that they won't -once again- put the burden on us old 21'ers and prioritize the new applications.

Omar.hr

Star Member
Sep 9, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Visa Office......
VFS Dubai
App. Filed.......
08/06/2016
Doc's Request.
25/10/2016 - Updated LOA
File Transfer...
08/06/2016
Passport Req..
10/11/2016
VISA ISSUED...
20/11/2016
LANDED..........
26/12/2016
To the contrary, it was 22 months before the strike which is far greater than the standard 12. And at last count, the backlog was projected to be there for the year ahead. Now with 2 weeks of unopened new applications and piles of existing files to process, who knows what will happen? I truly hope that they won't -once again- put the burden on us old 21'ers and prioritize the new applications.
I think they were talking about the passport processing time, not citizenship applications. Based on the link attached in that comment

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
So, the month count is not based on latest time of processing. It’s based on a 6 month rolling time period of processing and how long it’s taken to process those files, on an average.

At the first press conference during the strike, the immigration minister said they were almost back to standard processing times and that this strike would set them back.

We would have more than likely seen a significant drop in the published processing times.

Now, with over 100k of all categories of applications not being processed (final decisions) over the past two weeks, that’s set them back and will take them until end of summer to catch Ip to where they were before the strike.

At least they are back, busting a$$ to reschedule oaths and work through this mess.

Sheru86

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
So, the month count is not based on latest time of processing. It’s based on a 6 month rolling time period of processing and how long it’s taken to process those files, on an average.

At the first press conference during the strike, the immigration minister said they were almost back to standard processing times and that this strike would set them back.

We would have more than likely seen a significant drop in the published processing times.

Now, with over 100k of all categories of applications not being processed (final decisions) over the past two weeks, that’s set them back and will take them until end of summer to catch Ip to where they were before the strike.

At least they are back, busting a$$ to reschedule oaths and work through this mess.
They did not work for 8 days. That is a blip. Why would that take till the end of summer (which has not even started yet) to catch up?

Reactions: Ranash and vipinait