+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

rainydayincanada

Star Member
Apr 23, 2023
I am on the wall about WFH. I agree it will increase their productivity but I am worried about my data security. I don't even know how secure my data is even in IRCC facilities for that matter.

I forgot to mention that one of the reasons they won't join the private sector is cause they are not unionized. Because when they are unionized, they can go on strike and cause public all sorts of inconveniences, as they are doing right now.
During COVID many departments actually hired from all over the country as opposed to mostly from national capital region and other big gov cities. This allowed to hire better people from all over Canada which was more fair to applicants across entire Canada and not artificially restrict to talent found regionally.

You may find hard to believe but many people find themselves in the public sector because they prefer to work to serve Canadians at large instead of making some company owner's richer.

Missionquebec

Nov 18, 2014
What happens if the union rejects this offer?
Gov needs to implement BACK TO WORK method. They have to work. Currently, union’s strike fund may not in a good position so their bargaining power is not as high as before. Most probably, union leader is now thinking how to show govn offer is Union’s bargaining team success when Union did not get what they want :D

rainydayincanada

Star Member
Apr 23, 2023
What happens if the union rejects this offer?
The strike continues and the gov enters risky waters if it decides to try to pass back to work legislation as ndp already ruled it out. And CPC supporting it would potentially jeopardize the next elections. This may be a gambit TBS is not fully ready for...

Reactions: smash1984

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
The strike continues and the gov enters risky waters if it decides to try to pass back to work legislation as ndp already ruled it out. And CPC supporting it would potentially jeopardize the next elections. This may be a gambit TBS is not fully ready for...
They may accept the offer and probably call another strike in a couple of years should inflation go up again. The PSAC members are frustrated and want to go back to work, they are also annoyed that they aren't even being kept in the loop on the amount of the offer

rainydayincanada

Star Member
Apr 23, 2023
They may accept the offer and probably call another strike in a couple of years should inflation go up again. The PSAC members are frustrated and want to go back to work, they are also annoyed that they aren't even being kept in the loop on the amount of the offer
Those are all possibilities of course but the question was what if they reject.

In a Union with 130k workers you cannot expect unity in people's goals and expectations for the strike. For many WFH is worth more than salary increase while for others that can't work from home it will be disappointing to not get the biggest salary increase possible. On both sides this is a tricky negotiation as the gov knows whatever it agrees with PSAC will be given to the other unions going forward.

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
Those are all possibilities of course but the question was what if they reject.

In a Union with 130k workers you cannot expect unity in people's goals and expectations for the strike. For many WFH is worth more than salary increase while for others that can't work from home it will be disappointing to not get the biggest salary increase possible. On both sides this is a tricky negotiation as the gov knows whatever it agrees with PSAC will be given to the other unions going forward.
This is true, especially since there is a possibility that other strikes may occur after this (WestJet pilots, flight attendants, railway employees, etc). I hope they reach a deal and call the strike off on Monday. At the end of the day, nobody wins when a strike happens.