+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

Keatonkc

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Hoping this ends soon with a fair deal for everyone, I am also desperately waiting to be scheduled since LPP turned green last month. And I feel for people who got canceled and wish they get it rescheduled ASAP.
But trying to spread some positivity here, I feel they are moving ahead with negotiations and hoping it get resolved this week, if so, I would compare this to the Christmas holidays which took two weeks but it didn’t badly affect processing times, did it? So let’s stay positive and hope things get back on track soon. At least this time employees are back to work with a better feeling of getting paid more soon, that should motivate them to close out pending applications quickly

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, technically you're correct. But what I meant to say, is that there might be some people who still think that their ceremonies dates are still valid even though they did not get an email invitation.

That sentence clearly states that ALL events will be rescheduled. If they're going to reschedule everything, then I can't imagine why they would not do it according to the original schedules' priority.

But then again, this is IRCC, and as erratic as they are, they could reschedule randomly, I suppose. But I still think if they have any credibility, they would do it in some sort of order of priority of the original schedules!
The way they do things defies logic and common sense most of the time, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if they reschedule the canceled ceremonies randomly.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
*UPDATE*
Today's Statement by the Treasury board of Canada: Lettre ouverte à l’intention des fonctionnaires et de la population canadienne
https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/news/2023/04/an-open-letter-to-public-servants-and-canadians.html
570 demands? These people are really bored at work. At this point, if they don't accept what's on the table then it may be time for back-to-work rules. And why would the union want any layoffs to be based on seniority rather than merit?

rdpatel1201@yahoo.in

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
Hello,

Due to the strike action, your Citizenship ceremony planned for April 28 2023 is cancelled. We will reschedule your event as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

This is an automated email, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Bonjour

En raison de la grève, votre cérémonie de citoyenneté planifié pour le 28 Avril 2023 est annulé. Nous reprogrammerons votre événement dès que possible. Nous nous excusons pour ces inconvénients et vous remercions pour votre compréhension.

Ceci est un message automatisé, VEUILLEZ NE PAS RÉPONDRE.

Thank you/Merci

IRCC MISSISSAUGA

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018

I hope they speed it up. LPP went green two weeks back - I hope they just put in "Scroll and Click OK" in June now. I hate putting up a suit and smile for camera. : )

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
570 demands? These people are really bored at work. At this point, if they don't accept what's on the table then it may be time for back-to-work rules. And why would the union want any layoffs to be based on seniority rather than merit?
I wish I had the energy and time to make up 570 demands lol and present them to my boss so he can have a good laugh. Is it me or do they really, really, badly, need a reality check?
Unfortunately, NDP won't back back-to-work legislation so that won't happen.
And why would the union want any layoffs to be based on seniority rather than merit? - I guess it's because they don't care about performance?

Reactions: 747-captain

Gucheelady

Mar 30, 2018
Hello,

Due to the strike action, your Citizenship ceremony planned for April 28 2023 is cancelled. We will reschedule your event as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

This is an automated email, PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Bonjour

En raison de la grève, votre cérémonie de citoyenneté planifié pour le 28 Avril 2023 est annulé. Nous reprogrammerons votre événement dès que possible. Nous nous excusons pour ces inconvénients et vous remercions pour votre compréhension.

Ceci est un message automatisé, VEUILLEZ NE PAS RÉPONDRE.

Thank you/Merci

IRCC MISSISSAUGA
By the looks of it, there will be no ceremonies this week

Alsalma

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hi Everyone!
What a messy time we are all living !
My oath was scheduled for the 5th of may and I am currently abroad, I was willing to get the first flight but I would feel silly now if I do and it gets cancelled...Would it be safer to ask for a reschedule anyways or just wait for it to be cancelled ? what are the odds you think ? I am so confused...help me think please !! thank youu

segunalad

Apr 20, 2023
Hi Everyone!
My oath was scheduled for the 5th of may and I am currently abroad, I was willing to get the first flight but I would feel silly now if I do and it gets cancelled...Would it be safer to ask for a reschedule anyways or just wait for it to be cancelled ? what are the odds you think ? I am so confused...help me think please !! thank youu
Just wait until end of the week to make a decision. Too many unknowns right now until the strike is called off.

Reactions: Gucheelady

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
Hi Everyone!
If possible, just try to delay as much as possible unless it's too expensive to book last minute tickets. I am hoping that they resolve this mess soon by this week so that people who have ceremonies planned in May already should at least get through.
April folks anyways are already screwed (including myself :) ).

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020
I wish I had the energy and time to make up 570 demands lol and present them to my boss so he can have a good laugh. Is it me or do they really, really, badly, need a reality check?
Unfortunately, NDP won't back back-to-work legislation so that won't happen.
And why would the union want any layoffs to be based on seniority rather than merit? - I guess it's because they don't care about performance?
Because its a government organization :)

Reactions: irinaaas11

Alsalma

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Just wait until end of the week to make a decision. Too many unknowns right now until the strike is called off.
Thank you ! do you have a idea what would be the latest time we can cancel before the event ? like if I send a email the 4th to reschedule my oath it would be acceptable ? thank you again

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
April 24, 2023 - Ottawa (Ontario) - Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat

As we enter another week of negotiations, I have an important message for you, and for Canadians.

Our team has been working around the clock to negotiate new collective agreements that are fair, competitive, and reasonable. Agreements that deliver wage increases for all employees represented, as soon as possible. Agreements that respect the work of public servants and are in the public interest.

This round of negotiating has been a heavy lift for both parties. The union came to the table with over 570 demands, and we have managed to reach agreement on most of them during our negotiations, in particular over the past three weeks of mediation.

Four key Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) demands remain: wage increases; making telework a negotiated right for some employees; a ban on contracting out; and a requirement that, in the event that the size of the workforce needs to be adjusted, decisions concerning which employees to retain would be based on seniority.

On wages, we proposed an increase of 9% over three years, which would provide the average employee with an extra $6,250 annually. This offer matches the recommendations of the third-party Public Interest Commission (PIC), which were endorsed by the PSAC’s nominee on the Commission. What’s more, we also agreed to a signing bonus for every member. This is higher than our original offer and it compares well with similar agreements being established across Canada, including some recently signed by employees represented by the PSAC in other jurisdictions.

While wage increases benefit everyone, and I believe matching the PIC’s recommendations represents a fair offer, the other PSAC demands are important to different groups of employees. We have provided proposals to address each.

On telework, we have proposed to review, jointly with unions, the current telework directive. The directive has not been re-assessed for a post-pandemic world, so a formal review would help ensure that our approach is modern, fair, and supportive our employees, while ensuring our teams can deliver on our core purpose: serving Canadians.

On seniority, we’ve proposed the possibility of jointly requesting that the Public Service Commission consider making seniority a factor to be considered after merit, when decisions are being made to adjust the size of the public service.

On contracting out, we intend to reduce this practice as we outlined in Budget 2023. That said, we hope everyone can understand that reducing it to zero would severely compromise the Government’s ability to deliver services and work for Canadians.

Just as we have done with other bargaining agents, the Government wants to reach deals with the PSAC that are fair to employees and reflect the important work they perform. However, any settlement must be reasonable for all Canadians, whether we are talking about this or future rounds of collective bargaining.

We respect the right of employees to strike. This is part of the collective bargaining process. Our Government has always walked the talk when it comes to the importance and rights of unions. In 2015 we repealed Bill C-377 and Bill C-525, two laws that made it harder for new unions to certify, and forced them to disclose their finances so that employers knew exactly what cards they were holding when they went to the bargaining table. We took action to make the collective bargaining system more free and fairer because the best deals are the ones reached between the parties at the table. Period.

It’s important for Canadians and public servants to understand what the Government is doing to end the stress and strain from the labour disruption.

I encourage employees to speak with their PSAC representative so they can get a full understanding of all the issues that remain to be resolved.

We call on the PSAC to urgently work with the Government to negotiate the final key proposals at the table. This will ensure that workers receive fair, competitive agreements and together, we can resume providing important services to Canadians.

Yours sincerely,

Hon. Mona Fortier, P.C., M.P.
President of the Treasury Board

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
On telework, we have proposed to review, jointly with unions, the current telework directive. The directive has not been re-assessed for a post-pandemic world, so a formal review would help ensure that our approach is modern, fair, and supportive our employees, while ensuring our teams can deliver on our core purpose: serving Canadians
These clowns think they can best serve Canadians from their bedrooms while watching TV in the background or doing other household chores on paid time.
On contracting out, we intend to reduce this practice as we outlined in Budget 2023. That said, we hope everyone can understand that reducing it to zero would severely compromise the Government’s ability to deliver services and work for Canadians.
Of course, they would be against contracting out because once the government realizes that the public service is a massive waste of public funds their jobs would be gone.