+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
I had my oath cancelled yesterday. My PR card expires next month end. I was confident I would get the citizenship before the PR card expired. However, with the oath cancelled and not knowing when the strike will be called off, I doubt I will get another oath scheduled before my card expires.
If I apply for PR card renewal, I'm guessing even that would not be processed till the strike continues.
What is criteria to apply for a new card as an Urgent case? Does having an expired PR card impact employment?
Your pr status is not dependent on your or card. If you travel abroad you need it to get back in. Your employment eligibility has nothing to do with your PR card being valid or not. Your SIN number is the one that shows your employer you’re not a temporary worker. You should have changed your SIN as soon as you became PR.

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
Same. Scheduled for the 27th (Scarborough office) and still haven't received Notice to Appear email
It's funny how IRCC work eh? Mine is on the 8th of May and I got my notice to appear email on the 8th of this month, that's exactly 1month prior notice.

Reactions: lila777

segunalad

Apr 20, 2023
I am really praying and hoping this get resolved asap - My ceremony is 25th April and we have a plan trip for May 30th.

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
It's funny how IRCC work eh? Mine is on the 8th of May and I got my notice to appear email on the 8th of this month, that's exactly 1month prior notice.
it depends on the office. The scarbrough office only sends the notice to appear 1 week prior. Some offices send it 2-3 weeks prior

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
I had my oath cancelled yesterday. My PR card expires next month end. I was confident I would get the citizenship before the PR card expired. However, with the oath cancelled and not knowing when the strike will be called off, I doubt I will get another oath scheduled before my card expires.
If I apply for PR card renewal, I'm guessing even that would not be processed till the strike continues.
What is criteria to apply for a new card as an Urgent case? Does having an expired PR card impact employment?
My bf is in the same situation, he called IRCC yesterday and spoke with an agent about this. The agent sent him the following email after phone convo:

Please do not reply to this email.
Protected A
Good day,
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).​

Labour disruptions impact at IRCC
Please note that our services are considered essential. Clients would be able to contact IRCC, and we would continue to receive and process applications. However, significantly reduced capacity would mean longer response times and delays with our service channels. In addition, some events or appointments would need to be re-scheduled.
As we learn more about the nature of the labour disruption and the impacts on clients, we will continue to keep the public informed.
We invite you to consult our website regularly for the most recent updates.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Urgent - Permanent resident card (PR card) application
If you need to travel urgently, you may be eligible for a faster processing of your PR card.
Eligibility:

How to proceed:
  • To obtain the instructions, we invite you to access this page and select the option that describes your situation.

Proof for urgent processing:

IRCC will make all necessary efforts to speed up the processing of your application; however, we cannot guarantee that you will get your card on time.
Permanent Resident Travel Document
If you are (or plan to be) outside Canada without a valid permanent resident card (PR card) and you need to return to Canada on a commercial vehicle (e.g., plane, train, boat or bus), you may be able to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to travel back to Canada by following the steps below.
How to apply:

Before leaving Canada (if applicable):
  • We strongly encourage you to consult the Document Checklist in advance and to bring all the required documents with you.

Processing times:
  • These may vary depending on where the application is processed,
  • For more information, please contact the office processing your application.

Important information:
  • If you return to Canada in a private vehicle (e.g., your car), the PR card is not mandatory, you may use one of the following immigration documents:
    • Record of Landing (IMM 1000), or
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
  • Upon your return to Canada, we invite you to apply for a PR card.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you:​

Thank you,
Agent #xxxx
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada​

koiwa528

Aug 12, 2015
I asked SCR Office if my oath ceremony on May 9th will be rescheduled and I got the reply below soon:

Due to the current labour dispute we cannot give the ceremony information at this time. Please be patient while we wait and see how long this disruption will last. We have not cancelled the ceremony as yet. You will receive direction closer to the ceremony to let you know if it will be cancelled or not.

Thank you

Reactions: irinaaas11

johnyrose

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
NOC Code......
A
I asked SCR Office if my oath ceremony on May 9th will be rescheduled and I got the reply below soon:

Due to the current labour dispute we cannot give the ceremony information at this time. Please be patient while we wait and see how long this disruption will last. We have not cancelled the ceremony as yet. You will receive direction closer to the ceremony to let you know if it will be cancelled or not.

Thank you
I got the same exact word reply..my oath is scheduled for next week, April 25.

Reactions: Cece450

anksyahoo

May 4, 2020

Thank you
You have a lot of time still for the date. Hopefully by then it should be back on track. More concerns are for applicants who have scheduled ceremonies this and next week.

krishm

Apr 23, 2018
Your pr status is not dependent on your or card. If you travel abroad you need it to get back in. Your employment eligibility has nothing to do with your PR card being valid or not. Your SIN number is the one that shows your employer you’re not a temporary worker. You should have changed your SIN as soon as you became PR.
Thank you, and since I got the SIN after I became a PR, I do not need to worry about this.

krishm

Apr 23, 2018
My bf is in the same situation, he called IRCC yesterday and spoke with an agent about this. The agent sent him the following email after phone convo:

Please do not reply to this email.
Protected A
Good day,
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).​

Labour disruptions impact at IRCC
Please note that our services are considered essential. Clients would be able to contact IRCC, and we would continue to receive and process applications. However, significantly reduced capacity would mean longer response times and delays with our service channels. In addition, some events or appointments would need to be re-scheduled.
As we learn more about the nature of the labour disruption and the impacts on clients, we will continue to keep the public informed.
We invite you to consult our website regularly for the most recent updates.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Urgent - Permanent resident card (PR card) application
If you need to travel urgently, you may be eligible for a faster processing of your PR card.
Eligibility:

How to proceed:
  • To obtain the instructions, we invite you to access this page and select the option that describes your situation.

Proof for urgent processing:

IRCC will make all necessary efforts to speed up the processing of your application; however, we cannot guarantee that you will get your card on time.
Permanent Resident Travel Document
If you are (or plan to be) outside Canada without a valid permanent resident card (PR card) and you need to return to Canada on a commercial vehicle (e.g., plane, train, boat or bus), you may be able to obtain a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to travel back to Canada by following the steps below.
How to apply:

Before leaving Canada (if applicable):
  • We strongly encourage you to consult the Document Checklist in advance and to bring all the required documents with you.

Processing times:
  • These may vary depending on where the application is processed,
  • For more information, please contact the office processing your application.

Important information:
  • If you return to Canada in a private vehicle (e.g., your car), the PR card is not mandatory, you may use one of the following immigration documents:
    • Record of Landing (IMM 1000), or
    • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688).
  • Upon your return to Canada, we invite you to apply for a PR card.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you:​

Thank you,
Agent #xxxx
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada​
This is very helpful. Thank you.