+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
Great, that’s not too bad I guess. I was invited to do my April 19 oath ceremony on March 27. So I am roughly 3 weeks at back of the line whenever the strike ends.
Doesn't mean it will happen the same way. You may literally get rescheduled even 2 weeks before your new date. You never know.

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
I remember reading somewhere that during one of PSAC’s previous strikes, they ran out of money and had to get loans from other unions and banks. So they might have a few more buffer days before they truly run out of money. But your point is still valid, this would incentivize PSAC to reach a deal as soon as possible.
So they have a budget of 43 Mil. With 155,000 people on strike thats just close to $275 for each person over all. How many days can these workers go on with $75 a day ($270/4). So I think, if by the end of tomorrow there is no progress they will have to think of some other strategy.

Last edited:

HTS_QC

Dec 4, 2022
Globe and Mail Opinion Article: Opinion piece argues that a protracted strike is bad both for Canada and the Liberal Gov.
well, the strike is bad for everyone (the workers miss out on salary, the taxpayers and immigrants miss out on services, the govt miss out on public image) but still it will end when the 2 parties come to an agreement. The point is: who will give up the fight first? Unless the govt passes a back-to-work legislation like they did in 1991.

" Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights
Get up, stand up, don't give up the fight "

Reactions: irinaaas11

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
well, the strike is bad for everyone (the workers miss out on salary, the taxpayers and immigrants miss out on services, the govt miss out on public image) but still it will end when the 2 parties come to an agreement. The point is: who will give up the fight first? Unless the govt passes a back-to-work legislation like they did in 1991.
It's difficult for a minority government to pass back-to-work legislation.

EE12345

Star Member
Jun 22, 2019
My Citizenship Oath - online via. Zoom was scheduled today - 20th April. I received email yesterday around 3 pm that it has been cancelled due to strike. and they will reschedule it later.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016

" Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights
Get up, stand up, don't give up the fight "
I worked in unions before. A long strike is the nuclear option When the other side refuses to offer any concession. Apparently the government has made an offer but the wage rise demands are unprecedented and unusual given that there are no complaints of terrible working conditions etc.

I would understand if low paid frontline healthcare workers etc went on strike due to terrible working conditions, but not comfortable bureaucrats. By all means they can negotiate for a fair deal but this level of strike action is unacceptable to the thousands of us who will be impacted.

inkomati

Dec 2, 2022
Hi all, I have a contact at the Montreal branch of CBC radio. He said there might be interest in interviewing people whose lives have been particularly upended by the strike. Feel free to message me and I can give you his contact info, and he can forward you to whatever local station is close to you.

krishm

Apr 23, 2018
I had my oath cancelled yesterday. My PR card expires next month end. I was confident I would get the citizenship before the PR card expired. However, with the oath cancelled and not knowing when the strike will be called off, I doubt I will get another oath scheduled before my card expires.
If I apply for PR card renewal, I'm guessing even that would not be processed till the strike continues.
What is criteria to apply for a new card as an Urgent case? Does having an expired PR card impact employment?

inkomati

Dec 2, 2022
I had my oath cancelled yesterday. My PR card expires next month end. I was confident I would get the citizenship before the PR card expired. However, with the oath cancelled and not knowing when the strike will be called off, I doubt I will get another oath scheduled before my card expires.
If I apply for PR card renewal, I'm guessing even that would not be processed till the strike continues.
What is criteria to apply for a new card as an Urgent case? Does having an expired PR card impact employment?
Pretty sure this would count as urgent and that urgent requests are still being processed. Some people in this thread are/know people who are in a similar situation, I suggest looking back through this thread and contacting/tagging those people.

koiwa528

Aug 12, 2015
There are only two concerns from me:

how long will the strike last and when will it strike end

How my oath ceremony (May 9th) would be impacted if the strike ends before my oath date.....

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
There are only two concerns from me:

how long will the strike last and when will it strike end

How my oath ceremony (May 9th) would be impacted if the strike ends before my oath date.....
Same concerns. But I am hoping it wont be too long. Mine is in less than a week and its very taxing to keep checking tracker and now keep checking news for this. Should have been an exciting week.