+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Yes, I was reading the same news. That can clear the backlog big time but then the Citizenship certificates will get all the backlog.
I have a feeling the federal government know the strike will happen way before and mention the self administered oath will start in June 2023 , statement made the head union rep "this strike will cripple the government"

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
just checking, the days when the workers are on strike, they don't get paid right? If so, the strike can't last that long
EXACTLY!!! That is why the strike can’t go on for too long!

After they’ve “made their point” they will start to feel the financial pain of only getting “strike pay”. Government also saves big time by not paying their regular wages!

So IMHO, I’m cautiously optimistic that this gets resolved sooner rather than later! Still keeping my fingers crossed!

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
Yes, I was reading the same news. That can clear the backlog big time but then the Citizenship certificates will get all the backlog.
Maybe a combination of “self administered oaths” and e-certificates, that you can print right away?

ExLeo777

Star Member
Dec 19, 2022
Gatineau
Visa Office......
Ottawa
How to one or two weeks done strike!
They need continue going when they have good deal from government.
2-3 months strike to June
But it is just Level 1
Maybe longer

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
Maybe a combination of “self administered oaths” and e-certificates, that you can print right away?
I really hope that happens.. Once it gets to that point in the application, they should just remove the human factor and automate the process. Because this is just causing delays to people for no reason! They don't apply any logic in their process nor that they have a first in first out system. It's a big mess!

lugubrious

Nov 17, 2022
EXACTLY!!! That is why the strike can’t go on for too long!

After they’ve “made their point” they will start to feel the financial pain of only getting “strike pay”. Government also saves big time by not paying their regular wages!

So IMHO, I’m cautiously optimistic that this gets resolved sooner rather than later! Still keeping my fingers crossed!
I think strike pays come from the union, not the government. They have saved a lot of money since the last strike and that's why they can afford to go to strike. I don't know how long it can last though.

tt_tt

Apr 19, 2023
Hi guys, I was wondering if I could hear you suggestions/thoughts on my case - I’m currently studying outside Canada and just came back for a few days for the Notice to Appear / in-person interview. I haven’t received any email regarding the reschedule. My interview is schedule tomorrow morning. I should still go, right?

PS On the website, they mention “overseas interviews are proceeding as scheduled, unless advised otherwise by the IRCC office abroad.” But I’m not sure thats my case… https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/labour-disruptions.html

Thanks!

lugubrious

Nov 17, 2022
It would be great, but I don't have high hopes... It didn't seem like they wanted people who applied before January this year to get e-certificates. And the new self-administered oath (if implemented!) might only apply to new applicants and/or people who weren't scheduled for the oath in the first place.

Reactions: 747-captain

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
It would be great, but I don't have high hopes... It didn't seem like they wanted people who applied before January this year to get e-certificates. And the new self-administered oath (if implemented!) might only apply to new applicants and/or people who weren't scheduled for the oath in the first place.
With the e-certificates printed now have to deal with applying for the passports backlog problems ,line ups and more delays applying .

Sheru86

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
I think strike pays come from the union, not the government. They have saved a lot of money since the last strike and that's why they can afford to go to strike. I don't know how long it can last though.
I think the strike pay is like $400 (max) or so a week in ON. If the workers don't have any other income source (assuming their pay will be withheld during the strike; am not sure about this), it will be difficult to sustain on strike pay alone for long. Plus, though they get benefits coverage as of now, that can be changed at any time. Considering these factors, I am hoping the strike won't last long. I am really really wishing they would strike a deal by the end of this week. That way, no one will have to suffer much. Fingers crossed

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
I think the strike pay is like $400 (max) or so a week in ON. If the workers don't have any other income source (assuming their pay will be withheld during the strike; am not sure about this), it will be difficult to sustain on strike pay alone for long. Plus, though they get benefits coverage as of now, that can be changed at any time. Considering these factors, I am hoping the strike won't last long. I am really really wishing they would strike a deal by the end of this week. That way, no one will have to suffer much. Fingers crossed
The government will most definitely not pay workers their regular wages if they are "striking" and not working!! So, you're right. That measly "strike pay" will make life very difficult for most of these people very quickly!

That's when they will be ready to DEAL with the government, and get back to work! I bet the government realizes this too!

Sheru86

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
The government will most definitely not pay workers their regular wages if they are "striking" and not working!! So, you're right. That measly "strike pay" will make life very difficult for most of these people very quickly! That's when they will be ready to DEAL with the government!
I just checked. They will not be paid. Their absence will be coded as leave without pay. Plus, no contributions will be made towards their pension plan during this period.

Reactions: 747-captain

lugubrious

Nov 17, 2022
If you're right, then yes, they can't afford to be on strike for too long. And that's good for us! I feel like the maximum they can do (also based on the previous strikes) is like 2 weeks. What's 2 weeks compared to the entire processing time? I just hope people will be rescheduled quickly for the oath.

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
I just checked. They will not be paid. Their absence will be coded as leave without pay. Plus, no contributions will be made towards their pension plan during this period.
Yes, I feel they have discussed how many days they will actually be on strike and just call it indefinitely.