+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Strike Action by IRCC employees starting mid-April

Zeek88

Star Member
Jan 10, 2023
It may or may not be. So many people got canceled today so they will have to be prioritized when being rescheduled
True, but based on prior experiences with IRCC they don't always act accordingly. They First in First out concept sometimes is not applied, even though it's the logical thing to do. Anyway, let's hope that doesn't last long. If it's resolved in less than a week, hopefully the disruption is minimal. All the best to everyone!

Kaiiju

Jul 10, 2019
Did you get an email as well?
No, nothing yet in the mail or email. Since it's happening in a week's time, hoping the strike will get resolved soon. Has anyone scheduled for this region got cancellations yet? Based on the few previous posts, some regions canceled some proceeded.

irinaaas11

Star Member
Aug 1, 2019
I have my notice to appear scheduled for April 27th, 2023. It is a virtual Zoom ceremony, the office should be based in Calgary and the time was set for 8:15 AM MDT (Alberta)
My bf also has his ceremony on that day/time. He called IRCC today to try to get more information, as his PR is also expiring in May, and he was told that they don't know yet if the ceremony is going to happen or not, but if it doesn't, he will need to apply for urgent PR renewal, which apparently they still process, and it will take approx. 2 weeks to get the card in the mail. The officer on the phone also mentioned that Alberta has fewer IRCC workers that are part of the union that is on strike, and so the ceremony might actually happen.

Reactions: ambq91

Kaiiju

Jul 10, 2019
My bf also has his ceremony on that day/time. He called IRCC today to try to get more information, as his PR is also expiring in May, and he was told that they don't know yet if the ceremony is going to happen or not, but if it doesn't, he will need to apply for urgent PR renewal, which apparently they still process, and it will take approx. 2 weeks to get the card in the mail. The officer on the phone also mentioned that Alberta has fewer IRCC workers that are part of the union that is on strike, and so the ceremony might actually happen.
Fingers and toes crossed for all of us. Praying for everyone waiting for the ceremony to happen! Let's keep each other posted here.

oboyzee

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
It may or may not be. So many people got canceled today so they will have to be prioritized when being rescheduled
I don't think so, IRCC Procedures isn't on a first come first serve basis.

I have seen people whom thier application has been stuck with the IRCC for over 3years and running, whereas some people get there application Processed and completed within 7 Months. I think most of those canceled oath might be moved to the back line or something. That being said my oath date remains on the 8th of May and I haven't received any other Email from them.

Reactions: Zeek88

Cece450

Star Member
Apr 18, 2023
I don't think so, IRCC Procedures isn't on a first come first serve basis.

I have seen people whom thier application has been stuck with the IRCC for over 3years and running, whereas some people get there application Processed and completed within 7 Months. I think most of those canceled oath might be moved to the back line or something. That being said my oath date remains on the 8th of May and I haven't received any other Email from them.
You probably won't receive an email from them until a day or on the day of your scheduled date. It looks like they are rescheduling on a day by day basis because no one knows what will happen the next day. The strike might end tomorrow or next week, so they wouldn't want to cancel anything way ahead of time, at least that has been the trend so far. All we can do is hope and wait.

fazeel5306

Jul 29, 2018
Emailed IRCC this afternoon for my oath ceremony tomorrow morning and they replied that is is cancelled due to the strike and will be rescheduled asap.