Feb 5, 2016
US/Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
March 2017 - Returned
Med's Done....
29-12-2016
I've been searching for a job for months. The immigration and border people say to get a job offer when I ask for a work permit. Potential employers say to call back when I have a work permit. I'm confused and irritated.

I have an interview for a non-profit job coming up in March. It does involve the use my psychology degree. Do I need a work permit first? Does this job require me or the employer to pay huge fees? I'm so confused and I don't know what category this job would fall under. Any advice or direction would be appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, I'm an US citizen living as visitor with my long-term Canadian boyfriend.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can't get a work permit without a full time job offer from your employer in Canada. If your occupation does not qualify under NAFTA - you also need an approved LMIA from your employer before you can obtain a work permit.

The one exception would be if you are a very recent university/college graduate from the US. In that case I'd recommend you look into the SWAP working holiday visa program.

Potential employers who are telling you to call back when you have a work permit don't want to go through the trouble of hiring a foreign worker. Forget about them and move on.