+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible Misrepresentation

DuraLexSedLex

Jul 7, 2011
15 years ago, my parents informally separated. My mother went to Canada, faked most of her papers and apply as single, instead of married. She used her maiden name as her last name. Me and my sister were never declared as children.

In my application for work permit when I came here (Canada), I put my mother's married name down and her address together with my father's. I did not declare that she's in Canada for fear that this might start an investigation and might result in her deportation. There were no problems with my papers at all.

My sister did the same, and she didn't run into anything, either.

Now, I'm applying for PR, it's a different story.

Under the Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire, it asks about relatives and other family members in Canada. I put my sister's name down. Should I put my mother's name, too? In the Generic Application where it asks for parent's names? I put my mother's name and address together with my father's (back home). Just to show consistency in all my paperwork.

I do not know what to do. My mother has been here for 15 years and has established her own family. I don't want to mess that up. My sister has an ongoing PR application, too. I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize that. However, I find that I have a strong aversion to the possibility of being deported or banned, either. What should I do?

Is this the part where I hire a lawyer?

Help? Anyone? :(

fizzlefunk

Mar 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2011
AOR Received.
21-04-2011
File Transfer...
14-04-2011
Med's Done....
01-03-2011
Passport Req..
20-06-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-07-2011
LANDED..........
18-07-2011
DuraLexSedLex said:
Is this the part where I hire a lawyer?
Yep. This is a very touchy situation, I'd recommend paying an expert to ensure everything works out.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you already lied about your mothers name and whereabouts on your work permit, you are already guilty of misrepresentation. You should definitely talk to a lawyer and talk to your sister before she applies. Whatever you do, you need to give the same information.

Personally, I think it is highly unlikely that immigration will find out that you lied about your mother. They only know her under her maiden name. So your mother-on-file lives with your father in old country and shares a birthday and a first name with some single childless woman who immigrated years ago. That is all immigration will see unless somebody tells them different.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
One question - doesn't the PR application require you write your mother's maiden name?

DuraLexSedLex

Jul 7, 2011
Apparently, it's more complicated than I thought. My mother used the maiden name of my grandmother.

E.g.

Grandmother's maiden name is: Maria Sy Uy
Grama's married name is: Liv Uy Cruz (Cruz being Grampa's name)

Mother's Married name: Liv Cruz Ong (Ong being dad's name)

In Canada, mom is using this name: Liv Sy Uy

I'm using: Fe Cruz Ong

What a mess!

My sister has already filed her application. She stuck to the story and did not declare my mother.

I just want to set things right, but I feel like there's no way to do it without risking both of their statuses, too.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your sister already applied and you decide to set things straight, you will likely get both your mother and sister kicked out. Just go with what your sister said.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
if you've come to the conclusion that the only way to do this is to proceed with the misrepresentation, i'd personally suggest to wait until your sister's application has processed... this would allow you to see if her information has successfully passed all the background checks before you re-use it and subject yourself to removal, a ban or worse.... it could very well be that the misrepresentaitons will come to light under the likely more strict background checks of this day and age....

just a suggestion..