+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possible citizenship?

KongUnknown

Jul 17, 2018
Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask this, as I've done a bunch of looking around and can't definitively figure out the answer.

My father, through adoption, has been living in the US my whole life. He is still a Canadian citizen, having never bothered to get US citizenship. He's been married to my mother for almost 20 years now. My mother hasn't applied for any sort of Canadian citizenship or residence. My father adopted me after I was an adult, but he has raised me from when I was 12.

I'd like to apply for Canadian citizenship, or permanent residence to citizenship. I've been told from one of my Canadian friends that the adoption makes me eligible due to the first generation relationship. Other people are saying that I don't qualify because despite my adoption, being an adult and my father not living in Canada, I would need to apply for permanent residence like anyone else would.

I'm not even sure what websites have the right information, as the government of Canada site has some dead links, and I see conflicting information on other sites.

If anyone could help me out, I'd be grateful!

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=405&top=2

But doesn't this page say that an adoptive parent can directly grant citizenship? I wasn't thinking I was automatically a citizen, just that I would be eligible. This is why I'm so confused, I see things that seem to say otherwise.
There are two different things being mentioned here, I think.

One of them is whether you are already a Canadian citizen (the answer to which seems to be no)
And the other one is whether you can apply for citizenship on the grounds that your adoptive father is a Canadian citizen (the answer to which is yes).

Even though you were not formally adopted until after 18, they mention:
  • that relationship must have existed before the adopted person turned 18.

So you are not currently a Canadian citizen, but you can apply for Canadian citizenship, I believe.

Maybe call CIC and inquire!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
There are two different things being mentioned here, I think.

One of them is whether you are already a Canadian citizen (the answer to which seems to be no)
And the other one is whether you can apply for citizenship on the grounds that your adoptive father is a Canadian citizen (the answer to which is yes).

Even though you were not formally adopted until after 18, they mention:
  • that relationship must have existed before the adopted person turned 18.

So you are not currently a Canadian citizen, but you can apply for Canadian citizenship, I believe.

Maybe call CIC and inquire!
If not automatically a citizen, doesn't one have to go through the PR process then citizenship? I think there has been a few threads about people who became naturalized citizen but didn't include their children in their applications, and had to sponsor them for PR first

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
If not automatically a citizen, doesn't one have to go through the PR process then citizenship? I think there has been a few threads about people who became naturalized citizen but didn't include their children in their applications, and had to sponsor them for PR first
No i think the statement means can apply directly for citizenship