+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Possibility to Extend OHIP for Spouse (Inland Sponsorship)

entlastet

Jan 4, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm a permanent resident of Canada and applied to sponsor my spouse inland + Open Work Permit application in one package in July 2020. She waits for her actual AOR which takes too much time due to COVID-19. From my understanding that in order to extend OHIP coverage she has to get an AIP (Approval in Principle) which definitely is not soon and will be closer to the PR approval date. Also, she can get OHIP extended based on the OWP approval + working full time at the same time.

The thing is that she is pregnant at the moment and doesn't work. Her delivery date is in the middle of January, while her OHIP expires on Jan 22nd, 2021. I know that we can't rely on the baby's due date and I'm afraid if she delivers a baby after her OHIP expiry date which will cost a huge amount of money for our family. I'm not sure if private insurance will cover the cost due to the fact that she is already pregnant.

I've got my OHIP when I was on a work visa while she worked full-time, I was considered as her dependant but now it seems won't work because I'm in PR status now even despite the fact I work full-time and pay taxes her OHIP won't be extended. Is there a way to get AIP earlier or any other ways to get her covered?

Also, I have a question. If we won't get an actual AOR by her visa expiry date (the same date as OHIP expires), should we apply for a visitor visa for her or if we've got verification with a temporary AOR number that we applied for permanent residence she automatically gets implied status as a worker? I still cannot link our application online to see more details.

Thank you in advance for your help!